OT: Has the NASCAR bubble burst? | The Boneyard

OT: Has the NASCAR bubble burst?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I'm watching the Brickyard 400 today, noting the huge number of empty seats. I was at the innaugural race, and back then, the place was packed. Yes, it's 94 degrees in Indy today, but I attended several times in the past with high temps, and tickets were scarce. It isn't the weather.

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is gigantic. So, there's still a quite a number of people there. But back in the 90's, if you said NASCAR wouldn't draw even close to half of capacity, "knowledgeable" people would have laughed at you.

Reaction Score
I'm a motorsports fan too (esp NHRA Drag Racing - but almost any other form too) and every form is having a problem filling seats. Much of the problem seems - Demographics. Young people seem less engaged by cars.

Reaction Score
I'm watching the Brickyard 400 today, noting the huge number of empty seats. I was at the innaugural race, and back then, the place was packed. Yes, it's 94 degrees in Indy today, but I attended several times in the past with high temps, and tickets were scarce. It isn't the weather.

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is gigantic. So, there's still a quite a number of people there. But back in the 90's, if you said NASCAR wouldn't draw even close to half of capacity, "knowledgeable" people would have laughed at you.
I was at the inaugural Indy race too. They had a lottery back then to get tickets. Bristol is not a sellout anymore either.

Reaction Score
Jim, good points. My question is, are the people who are not in the seats, at home watching on TV? Today's NASCAR is not the NASCAR of the 90's. Watch a few more races on TV and you will see multitudes of empty seats at every track. You will never again sit next to a girl from New England that has a "3" tatooed on her back. It will be an empty seat. (Not tatooed on her back)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've never been a big NASCAR fan. Yet I've always appreciated the talent these guys have, and I've always loved that this was an American sport invented by gin runners. I've never liked the European version which to me is about how much money you throw into car and engine development. Put everybody in virtually equal cars and see who comes out of traffic. THAT"s racing. It's sad to see this sport lose viewership. What do you guys think could or should be done?

Reaction Score
I'm a motorsports fan too (esp NHRA Drag Racing - but almost any other form too) and every form is having a problem filling seats. Much of the problem seems - Demographics. Young people seem less engaged by cars.
Bingo! The younger generation at this point are engaged to their cell phone. All else is secondary matter. This in restaurants at sporting events or even when social interaction is the agenda (party).
The now generation have every channel possible on a huge screen in a man cave that accommodates 30 people. The days of seeing a sporting event live being better are long gone. High def, close ups and constant replay bring whatever the event more into focus than being there sad to say.
Also it must be incredibly difficult to text with the constant distraction of the loud cars that keep going by....:D

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I've never been a big NASCAR fan. Yet I've always appreciated the talent these guys have, and I've always loved that this was an American sport invented by gin runners. I've never liked the European version which to me is about how much money you throw into car and engine development. Put everybody in virtually equal cars and see who comes out of traffic. THAT"s racing. It's sad to see this sport lose viewership. What do you guys think could or should be done?

OK. I respect your position, though I disagree in part. Check out IMSA sports car series. I just watched a pair of beautiful (I am biased) Corvette C7's place first and second at Lime Rock. It was a thrilling race! Seeing our American sports cars (now including the resurrected Ford GT) kicking Europe's flanks is rather cool. Yes, our European cousins think they invented road racing. That's becuase they did. But check out what our response has been. Our guys (and gals) are pretty good.

I got ultimately discouraged with NASCAR when they made the latest rule change in their "playoff" chase. It is now possible to win every race except the last one and NOT be the season champion. By introducing more randomness in their championship, they increased the probability that the most consistent car/driver (especially the 48) wouldn't win it. WWE does this kind of rubbish, but in auto racing?

NASCAR doesn't seem interested in broadening their base anymore, instead playing to the traditional fan base, mostly white, male, southern, conservative, blue collar crowd. They seem interested in having men (only) give the invocation, and increasingly have it sound like a right-wing political speech. Their once-ballyhooed diversity programs seem to have disappeared.

In short, they don't want me as a fan. I say, done deal.

JordyG

Reaction Score
OK. I respect your position, though I disagree in part. Check out IMSA sports car series. I just watched a pair of beautiful (I am biased) Corvette C7's place first and second at Lime Rock. It was a thrilling race! Seeing our American sports cars (now including the resurrected Ford GT) kicking Europe's flanks is rather cool. Yes, our European cousins think they invented road racing. That's becuase they did. But check out what our response has been. Our guys (and gals) are pretty good.

I got ultimately discouraged with NASCAR when they made the latest rule change in their "playoff" chase. It is now possible to win every race except the last one and NOT be the season champion. By introducing more randomness in their championship, they increased the probability that the most consistent car/driver (especially the 48) wouldn't win it. WWE does this kind of rubbish, but in auto racing?

NASCAR doesn't seem interested in broadening their base anymore, instead playing to the traditional fan base, mostly white, male, southern, conservative, blue collar crowd. They seem interested in having men (only) give the invocation, and increasingly have it sound like a right-wing political speech. Their once-ballyhooed diversity programs seem to have disappeared.

In short, they don't want me as a fan. I say, done deal.
I hear you and it's loud and clear. It seems they don't want my viewership as well. By the way, my father was a Mason.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I hear you and it's loud and clear. It seems they don't want my viewership as well. By the way, my father was a Mason.

My Dad too. One of my happiest memories is that of being raised to the 3rd degree by my father.

JordyG

Reaction Score
My Dad too. One of my happiest memories is that of being raised to the 3rd degree by my father.
My father never fostered my initiation. You however were fortunate and must be very proud.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I was a fan when the big cars raced in the 60's, 70's, and 80's; actual side-
by-side racing as opposed to the current "line racing" by teams in little plastic "cars." Remember when cars were taken directly from the showroom to the track in the 50's? Nowhere near as fast as today's racers but exciting nonetheless. Aahh, the good 'ol days.

Reaction Score
NASCAR is DOOMED. When the self driving electric car silently hits the track and blows away the feeble internal combustion behemoths, with Google or Elon Musk taking the checkered flag race after race, it's sayonara NASCAR.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
NASCAR has always been gimmicky, but this Race for the Chase is the worst. Joey Logano got totally screwed last year. That did it for me.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
There was a bubble? :confused:

I know you're being funny but...

From the USA Today:
"Much like the housing market, NASCAR experienced a bubble in the mid-2000s. Its popularity skyrocketed, evidenced by TV ratings, attendance and sponsors beating down the door."

The article says the according to the racetracks, 2007 or 2008 was the peak.

NASCAR looks beyond declining attendance, TV ratings

Reaction Score
. . . Remember when cars were taken directly from the showroom to the track in the 50's? Nowhere near as fast as today's racers but exciting nonetheless. Aahh, the good 'ol days.

Weren't those the days when stock car drivers were characterized as " toothless goobers making left turns all day"?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I loved the good old days too. The stock-bodied cars were more real and more interesting. But their one huge deficit was in their problems with speed versus safety. Since 2000, the number of fatal accidents has dropped big time. Thank goodness.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Weren't those the days when stock car drivers were characterized as " toothless goobers making left turns all day"?

Yeah, some probably were, but I still liked the cars and the races. "Win on Sunday - sell on Monday." (or something like that)

Reaction Score
Seems a few years back they were saying that golf was a dying sport too.

Reaction Score
It's gotten too expensive. I know two couples who are huge NASCAR fans. One couple used to attend both races at Pocono, the other both races at Dover. Now they go to one race a year. Between tickets, hotels, fuel etc. they just can't do it anymore.

Reaction Score
NASCAR has always been gimmicky, but this Race for the Chase is the worst. Joey Logano got totally screwed last year. That did it for me.

Yes, NASCAR has certainly screwed a lot of things up. But they had to do something when Matt Kenseth won the title without winning a single race all season. Stock car racing was the only sport where you didn't have to win in order to win it all, you just had to pile up race finish points. I never blamed Kenseth or his team, they took what NASCAR gave.

Personally I think they need to simplify the entire thing- more points for wins. IIRC there is little difference in points between a win and a second place finish.

Reaction Score
Not too much of a stock car fan. Love Indy but the race is too long. Do not like LeMans racing. Sons raced go cart, mini sprints ( did very well in that), sold the car, bought a midget. Tough racing. Costly too. Never had to touch the mini sprint engine,raced on dirt. Midget on asphalt.

Two now race motorcycles. Much cheaper and easier to fix.

Reaction Score
Yes, quite boring, when identical/close controlled, cars turn left for how many laps. Lets return to Racing. Lets bring back the gut racing from the 1960 – 80ies

How about “Saturday Night Clash”.

Use four of the short tracks in the Carolina area, run time trials, three heat races, and a main event with the top ten cars from each heat.

Restrictions… Wheelbase, minimum height, six windows, cubic inches, weight with full gas load. Standard safety construction and gear. But all else goes...injection/carbs, gearing, etc..etc… it's up to the imagination, run a 2016 model or a 36 Chevy. Make it mean and make it fast!!! But it's got to look like a car!!

Run 15 Friday nights, 8 PM till finished, network TV,

Rotate the four tracks each week.

Drivers, sponsors love it overhead/travel gets cut, sleep at home…

Oh well we can dream!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69