OT: Guilty Pleasures-Another Music Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Guilty Pleasures-Another Music Thread

Reaction Score
What I mean is of course Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix aren't one hit wonders. Remember many of the best rock n roll groups didn't have great success on America's Top 40 but the albums they sell keep them out of the category the way I look at it as One Hit Wonders. I could be totally off but comparing these to Digital Underground is way off. But you have a point I guess if they have 2.

Reaction Score
Rock & Roll Hoochie Coo Rick Derringer
Play that funk music white boy Wild Cherry
Black is Black Los Bravos
Bang A Gong T Rex
Connecticut's own Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye Steam (Bridgeport I Think)
Eve of Destruction Barry Mcguire

Reaction Score
Apologies in advance, and I'm using "hit" in the most liberal of meanings, but this song I heard recently is a "classic" and unlike anything else I've heard- the one & only, "Mr. Magic" by the Native Hipsters

From 107.7, the low-powered FM station in Brattleboro, VT

This is the worst song I have ever heard in my entire life.

Reaction Score
Ok. I started this mess. I can name 20 Led Zep songs off the top of my head and folks like Jimi and Janice are far from one hit wonders.

I am talking about acts that everyone immediately thinks of one song when they are mentioned. Stuff like Driver's Seat, Ice Ice Baby, Hocus Pocus, Come on Eileen.... Those are gold, Jerry.

Reaction Score
My bad. I keep forgetting about "Doowutchyalike". You're right. Everyone knows that one.
You're trying to make a joke here but that song was a pretty big song back in the day off of an album which went platinum. I'm guessing you being older you didn't grow up with rap and don't know much about rap music, doesn't mean it's not popular.

Reaction Score
You're trying to make a joke here but that song was a pretty big song back in the day off of an album which went platinum. I'm guessing you being older you didn't grow up with rap and don't know much about rap music, doesn't mean it's not popular.

I started the thread and I had never heard of that song either.

Reaction Score

I give up. This is 1,000 times more than I ever have desired to talk about The Humpty Dance. Digital Underground is a hit machine. And walking through Hartford is as safe as being rocked to sleep in your mother's arms. You win. Please put me on ignore or stop replying to anything I post.

Reaction Score
I give up. This is 1,000 times more than I ever have desired to talk about The Humpty Dance. Digital Underground is a hit machine. And walking through Hartford is as safe as being rocked to sleep in your mother's arms. You win. Please put me on ignore or stop replying to anything I post.
You admitted you're wrong, it would have been so much easier if you just did from the start. This does feel like a breakthrough and I am proud of you. I'll gladly ignore you from now on.

Reaction Score
Here is a link for Matthew Sweet "Evangeline" - thought I'd add this, he is not a one-hit wonder. Hope it works.

Hey, can someone post how to add a video link properly?

Also he got a lot of AirPlay with "Sick of Mysekf"

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Stealer's Wheel also had "Star" which charted in top 30.

I can go through a ton of 80s bands that made the new music charts (see: Oingo Boingo, Haircut 100, Nik Kershaw, The Church, Lords of the Church, Kajagoogoo, Total Cuelo, Black Flag, Swing Out Sister, Peter Schilling, Wall of Voodoo, Taco, The Buggles, The Vapors, Men Without Hats, Rockwell, Tommy Tutone and many others.

But my favorite one-hit wonder resulted in an absurd video from a variety show where you don't know if it's a lipsynch or not because it's simply whistling. A top 10 hit in the UK and a top 20 in the US.

This should be what UConn sings instead of Sweet Caroline.

I now bring you Whistling Jack Smith, performing, "I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman"...

Reaction Score
Rock & Roll Hoochie Coo Rick Derringer
Play that funk music white boy Wild Cherry
Black is Black Los Bravos
Bang A Gong T Rex
Connecticut's own Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye Steam (Bridgeport I Think)
Eve of Destruction Barry Mcguire

While TRex only had one "hit" I found their album The Slider to be pretty good overall. And if not for the early death of a young Marc Bolan I think they would have been a big player in the Rock n Roll era of the 70's and beyond.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom