OT Guess which state is the worst to live in | The Boneyard

OT Guess which state is the worst to live in

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And that's without considering the effects from the decline of its once-mighty women's basketball program.

https://homes.yahoo.com/photos/gallery-cnbc-s-worst-states-to-live-in-slideshow/
Never agree with these things. They never take into account the qualities of life that I do. What's the weather, how are the housing prices, what is there to do (entertainment), are the people friendly? That's what matters. Not whether people smoke or have diabetes. I don't, so I don't care?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Worst states to live in? And they show stunning natural pictures from each state making each look like paradise. Funny list - I could see maybe North Dakota on that list, or Idaho or something. But it's all subjective. Still, can't argue with the #1 worst state!

Reaction Score
But they ARE the best dressed! (from Vowelguy yesterday)

upload_2014-7-16_9-36-9.png

Reaction Score
How about CT? A recnet report state that our roads are the worst, bridges almost as bad. At least those other states aren't fleecing their residents with taxes.
Sounds like NY to me.

JS

Reaction Score
what is there to do (entertainment), are the people friendly? That's what matters. Not whether people smoke or have diabetes. I don't, so I don't care?

"I feel fine myself, and you're a friendly bunch.
So what's to do around here?"

RTR2NCO5.jpg

Reaction Score
Totally agree with Meyers. Evidently based on a limited set of criteria which don't
include many aspects of life that may be important to many people. Another dumb list.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
That site has a link to the 10 best states in which to live, with Hawaii being #1. Having lived in Hawaii for a year, I can hardly dispute that.

In the "ten best states to live in" list, New England is well represented: Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont, all make the list. Further proof, if any were needed, that life is good in New England. Along those lines, Connecticut and Rhode Island aren't slouches either.

Funny to me that the South is well represented in the worst states list. Also interesting that Cali makes neither list. I guess it's a love-hate relationship.

With respect to Missouri...well, there's a reason it's nicknamed Misery by smart Alecs.

And with respect to the blues in Tennessee, I've been saying for years about Memphis that there's no reason to find anything positive about a town where the blues was born.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
so subjective. actually i lived inIdaho for 2 years and appreciate it when people think it may not be nice as it keeps population down in northern half.

i lived at the base of the Rocky Mountains, yet 15 minutes from awesome rivers you could white water raft in some places or hang out on a large beach sand better than anything in CT. low crime, housing and humidity.

if it not for having family in northeast i would retire to there or san diego.

one thing i do find flawed in these is that some states are so big that they are vastly different in different areas. southern idaho has more flats, ranches and potatoes. northern is prairie and mountains.

I knew many people that actually enjoyed people having a bad perception of their state. its what keeps it so damn great

anyhiw

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
so subjective. actually i lived inIdaho for 2 years and appreciate it when people think it may not be nice as it keeps population down in northern half.

i lived at the base of the Rocky Mountains, yet 15 minutes from awesome rivers you could white water raft in some places or hang out on a large beach sand better than anything in CT. low crime, housing and humidity.

one thing i do find flawed in these is that some states are so big that they are vastly different in different areas. southern idaho has more flats, ranches and potatoes. northern is prairie and mountains.

anyhiw
Loved Idaho when I was out there. Beautiful summer weather.

Reaction Score
Many of these lists have a large wealth and health component, so northern, particularly northeastern, states will have an immediate advantage. While it's true taxes are higher in those places, it's no coincidence those same areas tend to have a more educated population which ultimately benefits all of society.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
I was a forest fire fighter (now known as hot shot) for the Nezperce National Forest.

Hardest job i ever had.... best job i ever had!

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
These lists are, in my view, largely useless except for providing a bit of entertainment value. AllAmer hits it on the head with the duality expressed in "hardest/best job ever". Most of these metrics are doubled edged and whether something is positive or negative is usually quite subjective to each individual's experiences and preferences. And not to mention the trade-offs. Yes, some places have higher taxes, but those taxes often buy some quality of life factors such as a good social support system, decent roads, recreational opportunities, etc.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
That site has a link to the 10 best states in which to live, with Hawaii being #1. Having lived in Hawaii for a year, I can hardly dispute that.

In the "ten best states to live in" list, New England is well represented: Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont, all make the list. Further proof, if any were needed, that life is good in New England. Along those lines, Connecticut and Rhode Island aren't slouches either.

Funny to me that the South is well represented in the worst states list. Also interesting that Cali makes neither list. I guess it's a love-hate relationship.

With respect to Missouri...well, there's a reason it's nicknamed Misery by smart Alecs.

And with respect to the blues in Tennessee, I've been saying for years about Memphis that there's no reason to find anything positive about a town where the blues was born.
There is always good that can be said about the Northeast, all of those states were great to visit, and we loved NJ while we were there BUT - as everyone says, the criteria are all variable. Much as I liked those NE states, some of them don't have a multitude of job opportunities and I just can't take the snow in any case.

California is probably tough to make a best or worst because it has features that, it seems to me, could put it on either depending on a multitude of different criteria.

And, again, for many reasons, the south[east] isn't my cup of tea, but I know folks that really like it down there.

Reaction Score
But they ARE the best dressed! (from Vowelguy yesterday)

HEY. At least I provided a warning before including a *link* to that. You can't just put that out in the open! I nearly lost my lunch.

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
I was happier in Michigan and Alabama than I am in Iowa. :p

Reaction Score

I knew many people that actually enjoyed people having a bad perception of their state. its what keeps it so damn great

anyhiw
I agree. I didn't live there, but I traveled there a number of times on business, and the people were the friendliest of any place I went to.

Reaction Score

You've obviously never been to Memphis in May, Beale Street or eaten barbecue from Rendezvous. Amazing history, and a heckuva lot of fun...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
You've obviously never been to Memphis in May, Beale Street or eaten barbecue from Rendezvous. Amazing history, and a heckuva lot of fun...

Some amazing history...and some terrible history, too. MLK's assassination springs readily to mind. And there's a heckuva lot of crime there. I've listened to 8-Ball and MJG, as well as Three 6 Mafia!

As for the BBQ, I absolutely MUST go with Texas over Memphis, Kansas City, or North Carolina. Heading to Austin the week of July 28, a town I lived in for 10 years, and I can't wait to tear up some brisket!

Reaction Score
Some amazing history...and some terrible history, too. MLK's assassination springs readily to mind. And there's a heckuva lot of crime there. I've listened to 8-Ball and MJG, as well as Three 6 Mafia!

As for the BBQ, I absolutely MUST go with Texas over Memphis, Kansas City, or North Carolina. Heading to Austin the week of July 28, a town I lived in for 10 years, and I can't wait to tear up some brisket!
How does Rudy's rate as far as Texas barbecue? I went to the one in Round Rock, and also just outside of Ft. Hood. I have nothing to compare it to in Texas, though.
And you are correct about the crime in Memphis. It's like when a group of friends went to Yankee Stadium on a bus trip in the early 80's. The Yanks were getting killed, so we thouoght we'd go and find a bar, until the bus left. Well, the cop outside the stadium told us "If you go farther than a block from the stadium, we can't help you"...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
How does Rudy's rate as far as Texas barbecue? I went to the one in Round Rock, and also just outside of Ft. Hood. I have nothing to compare it to in Texas, though.
And you are correct about the crime in Memphis. It's like when a group of friends went to Yankee Stadium on a bus trip in the early 80's. The Yanks were getting killed, so we thouoght we'd go and find a bar, until the bus left. Well, the cop outside the stadium told us "If you go farther than a block from the stadium, we can't help you"...

Regarding Rudy's, as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't get much better than their extra moist brisket and great BBQ sauce. Many Texans take a "snobby" approach to Rudy's because it's too well known. People prefer to tout the merits of more esoteric places. And Franklin's in Austin is downright fetishized.

Here is Texas Monthly's views on the matter:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/eat-my-words/list-top-50-barbecue-joints

And yes, just as there's concern about crime in Memphis given its status as birthplace of the blues, one has to wonder about the South Bronx as birthplace of Hip Hop. :)

-

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well of course anecdotal, but I'd list the places I've lived as follows:

1. Georgia
  2. Florida
  3. Idaho
  4. Virginia
  5. Illinois
  6. Massachusetts
  7. Connecticut

Reaction Score
Regarding Rudy's, as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't get much better than their extra moist brisket and great BBQ sauce. Many Texans take a "snobby" approach to Rudy's because it's too well known. People prefer to tout the merits of more esoteric places. And Franklin's in Austin is downright fetishized.

Here is Texas Monthly's views on the matter:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/eat-my-words/list-top-50-barbecue-joints

And yes, just as there's concern about crome in Memphis given its status as birthplace of the blues, one has to wonder about the South Bronx as birthplace of Hip Hop. :)

-

We loved Rudy's. I told my son about their creamed corn, and he was..."whatever"...until he tasted it! And, yes, their brisket is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom