OT - Georgia State Thinking Big-- Build two new stadiums at Turner Field | The Boneyard

OT - Georgia State Thinking Big-- Build two new stadiums at Turner Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I hope either of the plans work for them. Getting an on campus smaller sized stadium would be a huge coupe for them. College football belongs in college venues. Hopefully they get it.

Reaction Score
USF is going to build a smaller stadium on campus. Not sure where, but one rumor is to build it on the University Mall, which is almost a dead mall. (When you have Dillard's open 3 times a week, you know you are a dead mall).

Reaction Score
Since the 96 Olympics, Atlanta seems to build a new stadium a decade or so ... too bad Georgia State couldn't team up with the Falcons' owners plans for a new, combined football/futbol stadium. With rare exception, MLS soccer should be played in a non-NFL gridiron stadium and a hybrid small, expandable Georgia State football/new MLS soccer franchise stadium might make sense. Have at it futbol haters and football fans alike ...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I went to a Braves game this year.

Building a new stadium is an impressive waste of money.

Reaction Score

I found it amazing when I heard they were getting a new stadium. Turner Field opened in the mid 90s, I believe. These pro teams be juicing their municipalities beyond belief.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One huge obstacle GSU will need to overcome (even if they do get a stadium built) will be in building a dedicated fan base. As it sits today (even though they are an enormous school) ~85% of their students & alumni and ~95% of the local non-students (the base they would nor build on for a fan base) already g=has very deep allegiance to UGA, Ga Tech and a small percentage to other schools in the south from alumni of those schools who work in and around Atlanta.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

My brother works in the front office for the Braves and I spent a summer in ATL going to most of the games...Turner Field is a very, very nice stadium. Has nothing to do with the quality of the stadium and everything to do with increasing season ticket sales. All of the $and season ticket holders are in the north of Atlanta and the stadium is south of Midtown in a rather desolate area. They also (surprisingly) have one of the oldest stadiums in the National League. Still, I couldn't believe it when he told me they were going to build a new stadium given that I'm used to Fenway Park and the old Yankee Stadium.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My brother works in the front office for the Braves and I spent a summer in ATL going to most of the games...Turner Field is a very, very nice stadium. Has nothing to do with the quality of the stadium and everything to do with increasing season ticket sales. All of the $and season ticket holders are in the north of Atlanta and the stadium is south of Midtown in a rather desolate area. They also (surprisingly) have one of the oldest stadiums in the National League. Still, I couldn't believe it when he told me they were going to build a new stadium given that I'm used to Fenway Park and the old Yankee Stadium.

Yeah I've read all the ridiculous reasons. Atlanta isn't a sports town - won't matter where they play once the shine is off the stadium.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99