OT - Gas Prices 2016 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Gas Prices 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
$2.36 In Lompoc, CA today.

I was stationed in Lompoc ftom August 1978- August 1979; A very enjoyable year. Back then, Lompoc was the flower seed capital of the world. It was more famous for being the location of the federal prison to which a number of Watergate figures were sent.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I thought prices would balance out at about 2.99 a gallon and we'd just have to live with it... but Im enjoying these low prices even tho I "fill up" about every 3 wks

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
IN USA,
Lowest: Oklahoma, $1.330, Missouri, $1.380
Highest: Hawaii, $2.644, California, $2.468
http://www.gasbuddy.com/USA
Interesting. My casual observations over the past 3-6 months were that So. Cal. (OC and SD) were about 30% higher than those in DC. Historically, the gap was more like 10%. I saw Hawaii prices lower than So. Cal. prices consistently over the past year, which surprised me. Maui used to have the highest prices of anywhere I went. Oahu was lower than OC in January.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Interesting. My casual observations over the past 3-6 months were that So. Cal. (OC and SD) were about 30% higher than those in DC. Historically, the gap was more like 10%. I saw Hawaii prices lower than So. Cal. prices consistently over the past year, which surprised me. Maui used to have the highest prices of anywhere I went. Oahu was lower than OC in January.

The odd thing about gas prices in the Southern California region, is that we have oil refineries right here in a suburb of Los Angeles (San Pedro). We should not be paying anything for transporting the gas from the refineries to the local stations.

As another poster mentioned, it's the taxes the state has placed on gasoline here. Just checked "Gas Buddy" for local prices tonight: $1.99 at 1 station for regular gas in the city of Ontario. $2.09 in Yucca Valley. $2.25 in Fontana.

It's not cheap to live here. Nice weather most of the time (86 today), but everything is high, especially rent. You can find a dump for about $600 a month in a less than attractive area. A decent 1 bd. rm. apartment in the suburbs start at 950 a month. The average for a 2 bd. rm. apt. in a decent area is $1400-$1600 a month.

We have high end condos and town homes with an ocean view (in beach cities) that go for $2400 - $3500 a month. Believe it or not, these high end ocean view apartments have waiting lists for occupancy.
Yes, we have earthquakes, but so do a lot of other cities and countries. Two things we never have in the Los Angels region: hurricanes and floods. We'll have a street or two flooded, but not whole towns or communities. We have a small tornado once in a while, but nothing like the ones in Oklahoma and Texas.

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Which seems to mean everyone goes out and buy guzzlers.... idiots don't learn, do they? lol

I have a 14 mpg guzzler truck. I get crap about it from my SIL and my nephew. They both drive crappy little 30 mpg rice burners. I drive my truck 5K-6K a year, they drive their roller skates 15K a year. Who's the idiot?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Yesterday: $1.34.9 in Champaign-Urbana Illinois.

About "gas guzzlers:" I had a 4-cylinder Ford Ranger that would get 20 mpg only if you turned off the engine while rolling downhill. And even then it would be iffy. My former Corvette (a 2003) got 28-30 mpg most of the time. My new Equinox gets 26 mpg over most of the driving I do. But which one would most people think was the gas hog? Smaller engines don't necessarily give you better mileage. The new Corvette Stingray develops 460 h.p., but is actually capable of 30 mpg in its "econo" mode.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I also have a gas guzzling Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's rated at 17-24 mpg highway, but I've never done better than 22 mpg. In truth, I really don't care. We bought it for reasons other than fuel economy. I can't see giving up comfort, convenience and safety just to save a few bucks in fuel costs.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I also have a gas guzzling Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's rated at 17-24 mpg highway, but I've never done better than 22 mpg. In truth, I really don't care. We bought it for reasons other than fuel economy. I can't see giving up comfort, convenience and safety just to save a few bucks in fuel costs.
I agree

Reaction Score
Here's a spot where you can look before you go out and get gas..you can put in a ziocde and it searches

http://www.hartfordgasprices.com/GasPriceSearch.aspx
Get the free GasBuddy app for your phone. It knows your location with GPS and shows you the pump prices at all the nearby stations.

upload_2016-2-11_13-50-39.png

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Gas Buddy does miss a station or 2 and is a day behind at times (in my experience with the app)... I'm not going too far out of my way to save a nickel a gallon.

Once I'm down to about a quarter tank I start figuring out when and where I'm going based on other places I may need to visit. I try to do all my errands in one shot on one strip.

Reaction Score
Gas Buddy does miss a station or 2 and is a day behind at times (in my experience with the app)... I'm not going too far out of my way to save a nickel a gallon.

Once I'm down to about a quarter tank I start figuring out when and where I'm going based on other places I may need to visit. I try to do all my errands in one shot on one strip.
My grocery store gives me gas points based on how much I spend there. Usually good for $10-$.20 per gallon discount. They have their own gas station and their base price is always = to the lowest other price in town. I paid $1.35 the other day after the discount.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That's cool but I hate spending to get perks... seems like you're still paying for it especially if it for selected items like Spam or Manwich smh lol

Reaction Score
That's cool but I hate spending to get perks... seems like you're still paying for it especially if it for selected items like Spam or Manwich smh lol
I know what you're saying, but that's not why I buy groceries there. I would go there anyway for the stuff I get there. They just give me the points, so I use them, since it's the lowest priced gas in town.

Reaction Score
My grocery store gives me gas points based on how much I spend there. Usually good for $10-$.20 per gallon discount. They have their own gas station and their base price is always = to the lowest other price in town. I paid $1.35 the other day after the discount.
Same to me. My grocery stores offer every $100 for 10 cent reduced in their gas stations (1 fill only). I like this chain stores because you can buy their brands at half even more than half name brand price. Even they are identical ingredient, such as Tylenol, milk and cold medicines.

Interesting is we have Costco who has the lowest gas price in town but you have to wait 10-20 mins. And this grocery store has 16 lanes' gas station at only 1 cent above Costco and wait only 1-3 mins. But people still go to Costco.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"I'm not going too far out of my way to save a nickel a gallon."

I'm always amazed by the folks that will go 20 miles out of their way to save a nickel on a gallon of gas. I buy gas on the Sub base in Groton. By law they set their prices 3 cents below local average even though they pay no taxes. I paid 1.829 earlier this week.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My nephew works for Fry's and they gave him a "bonus" of 1000 points (which is $1.00 per gallon off). Except he doesn't drive, so yesterday I filled up for 49.9 cents a gallon. Freaky.

Since Fry's usually has a decent price, even our modest 10 to 20 cents off (normal) is great. And periodically they offer 4x fuel points for gift card purchases, which my wife and I treat as "prepaid meals" - and collect a few extra points.

Costco incidentally has among the best prices we see in town, although I don't usually go there (it isn't by that much).

We just trecked back and forth to South Carolina twice in a rental van, I had wanted to track gas prices but in the end didn't. In general, I know everything was under $2.00 and I don't think anything was under $1.50.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
thats another thing... Cash vs Credit

Cash will save you 3-10 cent a gallon... I always pay in cash which is another part of my planning (to an ATM or cashback from Walmart or CVS)

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
thats another thing... Cash vs CreditCash will save you 3-10 cent a gallon... I always pay in cash which is another part of my planning (to an ATM or cashback from Walmart or CVS)

I use credit and save 3-5 percent off of gas. So cash actually costs me more.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Get the free GasBuddy app for your phone. It knows your location with GPS and shows you the pump prices at all the nearby stations.

View attachment 11995

I love this site - it's rare when it isn't up to date.

Best price currently in Ann Arbor/Chelsea (MI) is $1.38

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro