OT: fruit expressions as urban slang | The Boneyard

OT: fruit expressions as urban slang

Reaction Score
on another thread, UcMiami writes: "While we Uconn fans have reason to believe in the ability to created undefeated seasons, and to even string two together, there are just too many chances for it to go pear shaped on some night" I had to look up pear shaped in an on-line urban dictionary

then, reading a football fan's take on UConn's win streak, I came across the expression, "that's bananas".
UConn coach Geno Auriemma has a great take on Bill Belichick's success
ditto with checking an urban dictionary.

What other fruits (or vegetables or flowers?) do we use as slang?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
on another thread, UcMiami writes: "While we Uconn fans have reason to believe in the ability to created undefeated seasons, and to even string two together, there are just too many chances for it to go pear shaped on some night" I had to look up pear shaped in an on-line urban dictionary

then, reading a football fan's take on UConn's win streak, I came across the expression, "that's bananas".

You are nuts! Urban enough for ya?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
'peel a tomato' - or just tomato on its own has lots of different and rather sexual connotations.
'what a peach'
apple of one's eye
hot tamale

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Rotten Tomatoes
Nice melons
Heard it through the grapevine
The Big Apple
He's a real stringbean
Orange Crush
Cauliflower ears

Reaction Score

This thread could only have been started by a fruitcake!

Reaction Score

top banana, big apple, coconuts---you lived a sheltered life to have to look up--'that's banana's"

Reaction Score
Rotten Tomatoes
Nice melons
Heard it through the grapevine
The Big Apple
He's a real stringbean
Orange Crush
Cauliflower ears

Hey guy--youse, musta come outa onea da boro's!! Cuz-youse no's wat I'ze nose. Orange crush was/is a nice orange drink.
I won't touch the melons' comment (I said comment) and only boxers have cauliflower ears.
Good stuff!!

Reaction Score
'peel a tomato' - or just tomato on its own has lots of different and rather sexual connotations.
'what a peach'
apple of one's eye
hot tamale
is Tamale a fruit? I suppose if it has tomatoes in it --Sexual connotations?? (what a peach--speaking of how one looks?) (what peach of a car) ( she's a Georgia peach has been said of Basketball players)
(my son or my daughter is the--apple of my eye ) Hot tamale--(I'll give you that may/can be sexual)
You are correct--I lived a sheltered life--

Reaction Score
Sour grapes

Apple bottom ;)

a real Lemon (bad car purchase)
I've had one or two of them--my 2011 -came with no front caster adjustments and it was re-aligned 7 times in one year--in 50 years of driving I only had one other aligned --2011 sonata hyundia--dumped that one. A lemon!!

Reaction Score
'what a peach'
apple of one's eye
hot tamale
My apology---I focused on FRUIT and failed to fully read --veggies and flowers--or I would have used--Lilly livered
a real petunia, cabbage head, turnip top, carrot top, --so my question of Hot tamale was out of place--.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
a rose by any other name (rosy cheeked, etc.)
wallflower
peaches and cream complexion
buttercup

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Don't be a crabapple. Calm down, and we'll figure this out.

In honor of Gwen Stefani, "this [stuff] is bananas/ b-a-n-a-n-a-s!!!"

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Then there's that song Peaches by The Presidents of the United States of America

And the politically/historically charged Strange Fruit by Billie Holliday. That's a good one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Cake is fruit to many people.
Fruitcake.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA