OT: Favorite Obscure Song from Great Band | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Obscure Song from Great Band

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The entire Imperial Bedroom album by Elvis Costello. Best listened from start to finish as a whole. Masterpiece.

When it was brand new and I first put it on, I was hugely disappointed in a WTF kind of way. A few listens later, I arrived at an opinion similar to yours. Seeing EC & the Attractions later that summer at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium was "beyond belief."

Here's a random handful:

"Stop Breaking Down" - Rolling Stones
"Time Waits for Noone" - Rolling Stones
"Fascination" - David Bowie
"Gotta Get Better in a Little While" - Derek & the Dominoes
"You're Gonna Make it After All" - Hüsker Dü

Reaction Score
Have a live version of "Like a Rolling Stone", by the Rolling Stones. Good cover, but at the end Keith Richards says "Thank you Bob". That always makes me smile.

Reaction Score
St. Robinson by Counting Crows
Spoon by DMB
Suite Madam Blue by Styx
October by U2
Hear About It Later by Van Halen

Reaction Score
Eagles - Try and Love Again
Foo Fighters - Outside
Queen - Dragon Attack
Clapton - Steady Rollin Man

Reaction Score
"You're Gonna Make it After All" - Hüsker Dü
"Books About UFOs" doesn't seem to be considered one of Hüsker Dü's best songs, perhaps because it doesn't sound all that Hüsker Dü-y. That said, it's my favorite of theirs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
XM27 is a great channel for this thread.

Deep tracks.
No. 2 preset for me (on Sirius). No. 1 is the Loft. I follow Meg Griffin around the dial; she does the mornings on Deep Tracks and the afternoon until 6 pm show on the Loft. Been listening to her since pre-satellite radio days. I grew up on album rock radio and loved the AAA radio format that grew out of it, and she is one of the last remnants of that.

Reaction Score
No. 2 preset for me (on Sirius). No. 1 is the Loft. I follow Meg Griffin around the dial; she does the mornings on Deep Tracks and the afternoon until 6 pm show on the Loft. Been listening to her since pre-satellite radio days. I grew up on album rock radio and loved the AAA radio format that grew out of it, and she is one of the last remnants of that.
Funny how we settle on favorite sattelite stations. I listen to:
14 Coffee House
23 Grateful Dead
25 and 26 classic rewind and classic rock gen 2
29 Jam Band

That said, I would probably like 27 as well, just never became part of the rotation.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
14 Coffee House
23 Grateful Dead
29 Jam Band

That said, I would probably like 27 as well, just never became part of the rotation.
GD is also a preset for me. Deep Tracks and the Loft are primarily due to me being a Meg Griffin junkie. She also does an occasional weekend show on Classic Rewind btw.

I grew up on DJs, and that's what I love most about the Loft and Deep Tracks; i.e., they have DJs who talk about the music the way that I think about it, and the way DJs used to. Meg Griffin is the best for my tastes because she embraces both the old and the new; but each of those stations have a few other great DJs for the format. I love Tom Petty's Buried Treasure show on Deep Tracks, too.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
14 Coffee House
23 Grateful Dead
29 Jam Band

It's going back on my presets. SB Nation cancelled the Steve Czaban national broadcast last week so I need morning commute music again.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My only point of departure with Meg is Rush. Except for a brief infatuation with "Tom Sawyer," I never liked them.

Reaction Score
Just a couple of the top of my head;

AC/DC Who made who
BTO Hold back the water
Beatles Your mother should know
Alice Cooper Halo of Flies
CSN&Y Carry On
Eagles King of Hollywood
Genesis Turn it on again
Grateful Dead Althea
Midnight Oil Put down that weapon
Poco Legend
Santana Song of the Wind
Santana Tales of Kilamanjaro
Paul Simon One Trick Pony
Supertramp Rudy
ZZ Top A fool for your stockings

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

My first thought is, "Meg Griffin's still around?" Then I recognize that as a good thing and not an ageist swipe. Then I look her up on Wikipedia and learn that she's 3 weeks younger than I. Then I realize for the first time why the Family Guy character's name has always seemed so familiar. Then I need a nap.

Long live Meg Griffin.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My first thought is, "Meg Griffin's still around?" Then I recognize that as a good thing and not an ageist swipe. Then I look her up on Wikipedia and learn that she's 3 weeks younger than I. Then I realize for the first time why the Family Guy character's name has always seemed so familiar. Then I need a nap.

Long live Meg Griffin.
Listening to her now over the internet at work as I type. Playing a very nice Clapton cover of "Stormy Monday" from his Crossroads 2 (live in the seventies) collection.

Which reminds me of my favorite obscure Clapton song, "Tell Me That You Love Me" off of his Backless album:

It was supposed to be our wedding song, but when I put it on a mixed tape for our wedding band, along with a lot of other great music, the band leader spaced and just started listening to it as a great mix, forgetting that I had wanted them to learn that and one other song (James Taylor's "Secret O' Life"). I'll never forget our conversation a few days before the wedding:

Him: "Hey, that was a great mix you gave me, man! I love all of that stuff; we're thinking of trying some of those tunes."

Me: "Cool, did you learn the first two tunes like we requested?"

Him: "Oh, man, I liked the mix so much that I spaced that we were supposed to learn those. I haven't taken it out of my car."

Me: "Ok, 'Howlin' For My Darling' it is, then!"

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Listening to her now over the internet at work as I type. Playing a very nice Clapton cover of "Stormy Monday" from his Crossroads 2 (live in the seventies) collection.

Which reminds me of my favorite obscure Clapton song, "Tell Me That You Love Me" off of his Backless album:

It was supposed to be our wedding song, but when I put it on a mixed tape for our wedding band, along with a lot of other great music, the band leader spaced and just started listening to it as a great mix, forgetting that I had wanted them to learn that and one other song (James Taylor's "Secret O' Life"). I'll never forget our conversation a few days before the wedding:

Him: "Hey, that was a great mix you gave me, man! I love all of that stuff; we're thinking of trying some of those tunes."

Me: "Cool, did you learn the first two tunes like we requested?"

Him: "Oh, man, I liked the mix so much that I spaced that we were supposed to learn those. I haven't taken it out of my car."

Me: "Ok, 'Howlin' For My Darling' it is, then!"

And I'm ever so grateful to have someone with whom I enjoy the passage of time.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
U2 - "Red Hill Mining Town"
Springsteen - "Out In The Street" (The River)
Steel Pulse - "Ravers"
UB40 - "Sing Our Own Song"
The Cars - "Touch and Go"
Brooks and Dunn - "Whiskey Under the Bridge"
NRBQ - "Rain at the Drive In"

Reaction Score
U2 - Elvis Presley and America and I Threw a Brick Through a Window

Reaction Score
Just an observation, this board is much better for music than it is for basketball. If I ever want to learn anything about a band or a guitar playing style I'm confident there will be people here who will be knowledgeable on the subject and explain it well. Always impressed with the breadth of musical knowledge. . . . . .basketball on the other hand, yikes.

Reaction Score
Alone Too Long by Hall And Oates.

Stumbled across it because it was used as the theme song for an HBO show. By far my favorite song by them, although that may not be saying too much.

Reaction Score
Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbetter. Originally just a B-side.
Definitely.

As you say, They Love Each Other is also wicked for a lesser known song. My fave lesser known Dead is Peggy-O. But then, I could go on for days. Stuck Inside Mobile and Desolation Row are two more. And Queen Jane. I'm not trying to just like Dylan covers, either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom