OT: Favorite Obscure Song from Great Band | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Obscure Song from Great Band

Reaction Score
I still remember hearing this for the first time at a party in '81.....what a killer riff...great organ by Billy Preston and sax solo by jazz legend Sonny Rollins.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Jigsaw Puzzle and Slave by the Stones

I still remember hearing this for the first time at a party in '81.....what a killer riff...great organ by Billy Preston and sax solo by jazz legend Sonny Rollins.

Agreed! For some reason it's one that I often found myself putting on at parties at around 3:00 a.m., at full volume. Twice the cops came because of neighbor complaints.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why Does Love Have to Be So Sad is a fantastic record. One of my all time favorites. I have a live bootleg version somewhere that is about 15 minutes long that I play all the time on my boat.
My buddy had that record. Played all the time in the dorm. Calling it fantastic might not be strong enough.

Reaction Score
Nah. This works.

"Lounge Act" by Nirvana is another for me.
EDIT: Adding "Venice Queen" by the Chili Peppers. Great might be a stretch in defining them, but I like a bunch of their stuff.

Pearl Jam - Wash
RHCP are great, especially with John Frusciante. Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Californication, By The Way, and Stadium Arcadium are perfect albums.

Reaction Score
The Beatles "I don't want to spoil the party" and "I call your name"
In spoil the party John and Paul swap voices where John sings the high lead voice and Paul sings the typical John low harmony. They switch for the chorus and switch back after.

I call your name has great cowbell

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm shocked that I didn't know this song. Kind of tough to find. I just listened... not a big fan, but still it was interesting her.

My favorite less well known Beatles tune is probably Rocky Raccoon. I admit is far less obscure.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's absolutely mind-blowing to me how much I learned from studying the Beatles voraciously from such a young age. I pored over every lyric and every liner note, struggling to understand and make sense of it all. Looking back on it now, in my mind's eye I can almost literally see my own young mind expanding with each new discovery.

As but two small examples gleaned from reliving "I'm So Tired" and "Rocky Raccoon," I vividly recall learning about Sir Walter Raleigh's connection to tobacco through the former, as well as what the British term "git" meant; and learning what a Gideon Bible was--and the fact that they were always in hotel rooms--from the latter.

Inspired by this discussion, this morning I put the White Album on the iPod for my morning jog and it was great company, like having an old friend along.

Oh, and I'll give another plug for everyone to see the Beatles documentary out now, Eight Days a Week. It's tremendous.

Reaction Score
The entire Imperial Bedroom album by Elvis Costello. Best listened from start to finish as a whole. Masterpiece.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Got my mojo working (Paul Butterfield Blues Band) sung by Sam Lay (drummer)

Reaction Score
Aerosmith--Seasons Of Wither
Led Zeppelin--Hey, Hey, What Can I Do
Moody Blues--The Best Way To Travel
The Who--Love Ain't For Keeping

I second Mason's Children and Dig A Pony

Reaction Score
Led Zeppelin - Boogie w/ Stu (agree with a few others already listed)
Marley - Soul Rebel (probably a dozen others I can't think of right now)
Allmans - Back Where it all Begans (Probably a week entry)
Bob Dylan - Maggie's Farm
Beastie Boys - The Maestro (How can he be so skinny, yet live so fat?)
Pink Floyd - Run Like Hell

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Oh, and I'll give another plug for everyone to see the Beatles documentary out now, Eight Days a Week. It's tremendous.
Seconded...

Also, The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn. I've read about a dozen books about them, and this one is far and away the best. A blow by blow account of how every song was written and recorded, plus a ton of riveting anecdotal stories illustrating the wild, intense ride that was the rise and fall of the band.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Talking Heads: "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)."

Grateful Dead: "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away" and "Till the Morning Comes."

Van Morrison: "Bulbs."

The Doors: "Cars Hiss By My Window."

Dylan: "Every Grain of Sand."

Stevie Wonder: "Jesus Children of America."

Traffic: "Who Knows What Tomorrow May Bring."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online