OT: Favorite Obscure Song from Great Band | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Obscure Song from Great Band

Reaction Score
I'm thinking of bands well known, and a song people who owned an album likely skipped over.

There are a bunch, but I don't really know anyone else who loves "Long, Long, Long" by The Beatles as much as I do.

Not my favorite Beatles song, to be clear, just one I find most people aren't as interested in.

Reaction Score
Viola Lee Blues, Mason's Children, They Love Each Other....so many so I guess I ruined the favorite part.
Nah. This works.

"Lounge Act" by Nirvana is another for me.
EDIT: Adding "Venice Queen" by the Chili Peppers. Great might be a stretch in defining them, but I like a bunch of their stuff.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There are a bunch, but I don't really know anyone else who loves "Long, Long, Long" by The Beatles as much as I do.
Now you do. Love the slow build. Listened to it just the other day.

Long story less long: my Mom died when I was three and when I was eight my Dad remarried to a woman whose first husband had died. They had seven kids between them (plus one they would add). My father sold our old house for a profit and gave each of the then-seven of us kids $100 with which to do whatever we wanted. Eight year old me bought the White Album and put the rest in the bank. My life was never the same.

There is no album I know better.

Reaction Score
Now you do. Love the slow build. Listened to it just the other day.

Long story less long: my Mom died when I was three and when I was eight my Dad remarried to a woman whose first husband had died. They had seven kids between them (plus one they would add). My father sold our old house for a profit and gave each of the then-seven of us kids $100 with which to do whatever we wanted. Eight year old me bought the White Album and put the rest in the bank. My life was never the same.

There is no album I know better.
That's quite the memory of an introduction to the Beatles.

Mine took much longer. My father was 40 when I was born, and the Beatles were young people's to him (a fan of Buddy Holly, Little Richard, MoTown, etc.); my mother was 19 when I was born, and her music was late 70s and early 80s crap. Neither had an affinity for the Beatles, and growing up in Waterbury, most kids weren't at all interested either.

Revolver was that album for me. It just struck a chord for a freshman in college who was disenchanted with mainstream rock (Linkin Park and Nickelback) and looking for something new. Similarly--once I heard them, really heard them, nothing was the same.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Your Saving Grace and Kow Kow Calculator by Steve Miller

Your Time is Gonna Come by Led Zeppelin

Jigsaw Puzzle and Slave by the Stones

Drowned by the Who

Reaction Score
That's quite the memory of an introduction to the Beatles.

Mine took much longer. My father was 40 when I was born, and the Beatles were young people's to him (a fan of Buddy Holly, Little Richard, MoTown, etc.); my mother was 19 when I was born, and her music was late 70s and early 80s crap. Neither had an affinity for the Beatles, and growing up in Waterbury, most kids weren't at all interested either.

Revolver was that album for me. It just struck a chord for a freshman in college who was disenchanted with mainstream rock (Linkin Park and Nickelback) and looking for something new. Similarly--once I heard them, really heard them, nothing was the same.

I loved that last song on Revolver where they used a tape recorder....Relax your mind and float down stream.

Shot out to the Buries. Southbury born myself.

Reaction Score
I loved that last song on Revolver where they used a tape recorder....Relax your mind and float down stream.

Shot out to the Buries. Southbury born myself.
There are few albums that I love every song. The Beatles have two: Revolver and Abbey Road...and Let it Be, Rubber Soul, and Sgt. Pepper's are albums that come damn close.

I'll get rightful **** for this, but Third Eye Blind's self-titled album hits that threshold too. Everybody has that band they have an irrational love for (tied to time of life and memories, but deeply believed to be merit), and they're mine.

Reaction Score
There are few albums that I love every song. The Beatles have two: Revolver and Abbey Road...and Let it Be, Rubber Soul, and Sgt. Pepper's are albums that come damn close.

I'll get rightful **** for this, but Third Eye Blind's self-titled album hits that threshold too. Everybody has that band they have an irrational love for (tied to time of life and memories, but deeply believed to be merit), and they're mine.

I can tolerate Semi-charmed and How's it gonna be. Doo, doo, doo......doo, doo, doo. For me, that beginning to end album is U2 - Achtung Baby. So, another nomination is U2 - So Cruel. I played that a number of times after a few bad breakups.

Reaction Score
I can tolerate Semi-charmed and How's it gonna be. Doo, doo, doo.doo, doo, doo. For me, that beginning to end album is U2 - Achtung Baby. So, another nomination is U2 - So Cruel. I played that a number of times after a few bad breakups.
To be fair, "Semi-Charmed Life" is among my least favorite songs on that album. I get the hate for that song, and sort of hate-love it.

Reaction Score
This is in my wheelhouse

Good Time - Counting Crows
Moment of Surrender - U2
The Golden Age - Beck
Two Suns in the Sunset - Floyd
Holding on for Life - Broken Bells
Suffering - War on Drugs (maybe not great yet but coming)
83 - John Mayer
Lucky Man - The Verve
Dramamine - Modest Mouse
Adams Song - Blink 182 (probably not so obscure)
Bullet and a Target - Citizen Cope
In my Life - Beatles (probably not so obscure)
Where Did You Sleep Last Night - Nirvana

Lots of emotion in them

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Here goes:

Pink Floyd - San Tropez
The Doors - The Crystal Ship
Grateful Dead - New Speedway Boogie
U2 - Van Dieman's Land
Nirvana - No Recess
Rolling Stones - Country Honk
The Who - A Quick One (While He's Away)
Jethro Tull - Song for Geoffrey
Traffic - Who Knows What Tomorrow May Bring?
Neil Young - Cortez the Killer
Donovan - Season of the Witch
White Stripes - I Think We're Gonna Be Friends
Beastie Boys - Gratitude
G-Love & Special Sauce - Garbage Man
Led Zeppelin - Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
Bob Dylan - Don't Worry Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
Allman Brothers Band - Dreams
Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Ballad of Curtis Loew
Cracker - Another Song About the Rain
REM - Superman
Santana - Soul Sacrifice
The Beatles - You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)

Just to name a few...

Reaction Score
I always found myself liking the less radio played tracks on albums and wondering why they weren't more popular. For the life of me I can't think of any now except one. I went through a Police phase and always like this one No Time This Time from Reggatta de Blanc.

Reaction Score
This is in my wheelhouse

Good Time - Counting Crows
Moment of Surrender - U2
The Golden Age - Beck
Two Suns in the Sunset - Floyd
Holding on for Life - Broken Bells
Suffering - War on Drugs (maybe not great yet but coming)
83 - John Mayer
Lucky Man - The Verve
Dramamine - Modest Mouse
Adams Song - Blink 182 (probably not so obscure)
Bullet and a Target - Citizen Cope
In my Life - Beatles (probably not so obscure)
Where Did You Sleep Last Night - Nirvana

Lots of emotion in them

Are you me?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I don't know about irrational. It might not be 'classic', but that's a damn good album.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I always found myself liking the less radio played tracks on albums and wondering why they weren't more popular. For the life of me I can't think of any now except one. I went through a Police phase and always like this one No Time This Time from Reggatta de Blanc.

I can never think of any of these things when asked, but going on a couple bands here:

Man in a Suit Case - The Police (never understood why this wasn't a bigger song)

Wasting Time - Blink182

....and I'm blanking again.

Reaction Score
Why Does love Have To Be So Sad - Derek and the Dominoes

The Core- Eric Clapton

Can't You Here Me Knocking- Stones
Why Does Love Have to Be So Sad is a fantastic record. One of my all time favorites. I have a live bootleg version somewhere that is about 15 minutes long that I play all the time on my boat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom