OT: Favorite Genre/Authors/Books | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Genre/Authors/Books

Reaction Score
Ok cold weather coming which is when I read most of my books (especially on my tablet). Looking for a good reads from like minded Yarders (not amazon). So I ask:

1. Favorite Genre? Fiction
2. Favorite Authors? Ken Follet, Fredrick Forsythe, John Grisham, Robert Ludlam
3. Favorite Books? Pillars of the Earth
4. Favorite Classics? Think and Grow Rich, Eye of the Needle (got hooked on spy novels)
5. Book read more than once? None for me

Reaction Score
Non-Fiction
Ann Rule
The Stranger Beside Me, Lost Girls, Wise Guy, How To Get Away With Murder in America
The True Story of the Manson Murders
No way - as much as I do crap I don't have enough time to reread anything.;)

Last edited:

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
For some years I was listening to audiobooks in my car and when walking my dog, but have mostly switched to podcasts and music. Consistently good, fun fiction: David Baldacci, Michael Connolly, Lee Child (Jack Reacher books are action packed and fun), and John Sandford.

Every so often I get in the mood for a classic science fiction series and will re-listen to or re-read some of the greats: Foundation Series (Asimov), Dune (Herbert), Thomas Covenant (Donaldson), and A Song of Fire and Ice (great audiobook narration).

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
True crime favorites: In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
Deliberate Stranger - Ann Rule

I will begin to reread a book if I have nothing new to read.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
World War 2 History books and bios.
Patton: Ordeal and Triumph. I never saw the original movie with George C Scott until 10 years after. I was telling my supervisor at work who was a WW 2 vet and military history buff what a great movie it was and he asked if I would like to read the book it was based on. After reading that I started reading them one after another. Led later to
political figures/history reading.

Reaction Score
1. Fiction
2. Follet, Mcmurty (yes the same guy that wrote Brokeback Mountain), Wolfe, Hunter S. Thompson, Victor Hugo
3. The Stand, Lonesome Dove
4. Count of Monte Cristo
5. Harry Potter series (read first in English and then second time in Spanish to help me learn the language).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm reading the new Bruce Springsteen memoir, Born to Run, which my wife gave me for our anniversary. It's a very good, very easy, very insightful, entertaining and informative read. If you've ever seen him before, you can almost hear him reciting many of the passages. It often reads like the narratives he gives in between songs.

Recommended for even the most casual fans. He's a pretty unique, driven guy who tapped into universal human themes as well as anyone ever has.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I like all sorts of stuff, except fantasy. I guess whodunits and thrillers would be my fave genres, but I love character development. "Accidental Tourist" is still probably my favorite read all time (although I can make a strong case for the first three Hiaasens and the still hysterical "Missing Links" by Rick Reilly.

I don't read as much as I did in 80s/90s. Faves at that time were Carl Hiaasen, Ann Tyler, Michael Crichton with some Clancy, Elmore Leonard and Grisham thrown in. Probably best series I've read recently where the Kenzie/Gennaro sextet from Dennis Lehane, although I've read most of the Reacher series and many of the derivative anti-terrorist stuff like Vince Flynn.

I used to read a good number of bios and historical tomes, but these days I only read for escapism.

Classics... nah. I'll watch the movie. I've been trying to get through "Confederacy of Dunces" for 10 years because everyone tells me it's a great and funny read. Still not halfway through it. Bores me to tears.

Reaction Score
Fiction/Science Fiction
Hemingway, Steinbeck, Asimov, Tolkien
For Whom The Bell Tolls, Death in the Afternoon, The Sun also Rises. Tortilla Flat.
Henderson The Rain King
Great stuff I will read more than once. Like the above. In fact, this may have inspired me to dig out Tortilla Flat today.

Reaction Score
Have gotten really into James Lee Burke, guy tells a great story.

Reaction Score
Fiction
Tom Clancy, Robert Ludlum, Robert Grisham, James Michener
No favorite, many well-liked
Didn't care for book lists of classics, my loss.
yes, a few, on vacation and start reading before realizing I have read it before.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Almost anything WWII
especially WWII espionage and first hand recounts of participation od soldiers, sailors and pilots
Also into some Civil War

Reaction Score
Anyone who likes urban fantasy type books should pick up just about any Niel Gaiman book. Neverwhere and American Gods (soon to be a showtime? Show) are fantastic reads. His writing style is just addicting.

He also did a collaboration with Terry Pratchett called Good Omens that is a Monty pythonesque look at the impending apocalypse after someone misplaced the antichrist. Very humorous yet thoughtful read

Reaction Score
Ok cold weather coming which is when I read most of my books (especially on my tablet). Looking for a good reads from like minded Yarders (not amazon). So I ask:

1. Favorite Genre? Fiction
2. Favorite Authors? Ken Follet, Fredrick Forsythe, John Grisham, Robert Ludlam
3. Favorite Books? Pillars of the Earth
4. Favorite Classics? Think and Grow Rich, Eye of the Needle (got hooked on spy novels)
5. Book read more than once? None for me

1) 100% non-fiction. I also like leadership books about guys like Churchill, Jobs, etc.
2) Malcolm Gladwell, Laura Hillenbrand are probably recognizable ones
3) "Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage." The story of Shackleton is a minor obsession with me.
4) The Godfather by Mario Puzo
5) Never read a book more than once.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Anyone who likes urban fantasy type books should pick up just about any Niel Gaiman book. Neverwhere and American Gods (soon to be a showtime? Show) are fantastic reads. His writing style is just addicting.

He also wrote that wonderful quirky children's story Caroline of which they made a movie.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
1) Fiction
2) Pat Conroy, John Irving, Steinbeck, Chris Bohjalian
3) To Kill a Mockingbird, A Prayer for Owen Meany Catch. 22, Grapes of Wrath, The Great Santini
4) A Tale of Two Cities, The Hunchback of. ND
5) see everything under #3 plus th e Harry Potter Series

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I mostly read the Boneyard

Favorite authors are August West, OTP and King Nebbish.

Posts that reach novel or even novella length get a TL/DR.

Greatest classic was the Maker'sMuppet post that single handily propelled our beloved dogs to a championship.

I read that post several times.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm not reading the whole thread, but I'm hoping Hustler/Larry Flynt is already taken.

Reaction Score
Two catagories, crime/suspense and revolutionary war history.

Authors for crime fiction: Harlen Coben, Michael Connelly and David Baldacci.
Favorites are anything by the above authors.

Joseph Ellis favorite author for history.

read Lord of the Rings twice.

Reaction Score
Legends of the Fall and
The Raw and the Cooked: Adventures of a Roving Gourmand
both
by Jim Harrison

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I have read everything Elmore Leonard wrote at least once, and many of them twice. Even the Westerns, although I far prefer his procedural crime novels.

Some years back, I flirted with science fiction. Bradbury et al. But found that too many of the genre's best authors would succumb to the east way out of simply inventing a way out of a plot that was in danger of dead ending. Two chapters from the end, there's suddenly a new life form, civilization or technology that provides the answer.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
1. Favorite Genre? Generally non fiction looking at social issues and their history, but also like southern fiction and African American fiction
2. Favorite Authors? Cormac McCarthy
3. Favorite Books? Handling Sin, Blood Meridian, Native Son, People's History
4. Favorite Classics? Most Hemingway stuff
5. Book read more than once? Don't think I've read any book twice

Reaction Score
1. Favorite Genre? Non-fiction now; still like fiction
2. Favorite Authors?
Fiction: Dostoevsky, Cervantes, Hamsun, McMurtry
Non-Fiction: Barbara Tuchman, Raul Hilberg, Robert Mason
3. Favorite Books?
Fiction: Brothers Karamazov, Don Quixote, Master and Margarita, Lonesome Dove, Crime and Punishment
Non-Fiction: Guns of August, Destruction of the European Jews, Chickenhawk
4. Book read more than once? Lord of the Rings, Go to Sleep, Gecko, Curious George

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom