OT - ESPN shutting down its 3D network | The Boneyard

OT - ESPN shutting down its 3D network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Awww man! Loved that channel... If you watch Football on it you'd understand why... The NFL would lose some fans coming to actual games that's for sure...

Reaction Score
Just got. A 3d TV a few months ago. The stuff that wa recorded in 3d was really cool. They showed the uf Louisville game and the little league World Series were real cool. The stuff they simulated in 3d which was most of what they showed was just ok

Maybe this gets revisited in a few years. When 3 d is bigger.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
the answer is glasses free 3d which Toshiba and others are working on. The extra pixels in 4k sets will be used to create depth perception in HD or used for ultra hd UXHD (4k). OLED 65" screens. That's 10 years out by the time pricing, tech, and the production platforms get to the sweet spot and a new standard is adopted.

Reaction Score
Whenever I tried those 3d Tvs in the stores I found the concept stupid. In part because th glasses were heavy. I hear the technology behind the glasses has gotten better, but in my limited experience, I wouldn't spend the money on that or to pay for 3d package on cable either.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Awww man! Loved that channel... If you watch Football on it you'd understand why... The NFL would lose some fans coming to actual games that's for sure...
Would? They already have lost attendance to HD, the Redzone, and the 22-video.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Per the Courant, ESPN just cancelled two Bristol based shows, UNITE (?) and ESPNews Higlight Express.

I'm assuming this is all part of the original cutting of jobs announced awhile back? Now the details are coming out? Or is this additional cuts?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unite was announced prior and I thought most of their people were based in North Carolina.

Reaction Score
Highlight express I actually liked. Just highlights without the anchors thinking they are the reason people watch.

Reaction Score
Whenever I tried those 3d Tvs in the stores I found the concept stupid. In part because th glasses were heavy. I hear the technology behind the glasses has gotten better, but in my limited experience, I wouldn't spend the money on that or to pay for 3d package on cable either.
the lg uses the same glasses that you would use in the movie theatre. Not too bad. You need a blue ray that was recorded in 3-d not converted to 3-d. Makes a big difference. We have avengers and it's awesome. Very close to the movies.

I think the down side is they are 35 a movie a little pricey but you get a bunch of versions of the movie. blue ray 3-d regular blue ray and DVD and bonus features.

I have fios and espn 3- d came with a sports package I bought to get sny. It's really cool when the game is recorded in 3- d. Really cool but I don't know if I would pay extra for it. The problem lies and here is the issue. They rarely show new stuff shot in 3-d. A lot of their schedule was older games from several years ago and its not made to take advantage of the 3-d effects. Like the first down markers seem like they'd are in your living room on the good versions. On the simulated everything seems like its behind the tv. Fwiw

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Glasses never caught on big. Kinda like ViewMasters, virtual reality, and I expect Google glass.

Reaction Score
the lg uses the same glasses that you would use in the movie theatre. Not too bad. You need a blue ray that was recorded in 3-d not converted to 3-d. Makes a big difference. We have avengers and it's awesome. Very close to the movies.

I think the down side is they are 35 a movie a little pricey but you get a bunch of versions of the movie. blue ray 3-d regular blue ray and DVD and bonus features.

I have fios and espn 3- d came with a sports package I bought to get sny. It's really cool when the game is recorded in 3- d. Really cool but I don't know if I would pay extra for it. The problem lies and here is the issue. They rarely show new stuff shot in 3-d. A lot of their schedule was older games from several years ago and its not made to take advantage of the 3-d effects. Like the first down markers seem like they'd are in your living room on the good versions. On the simulated everything seems like its behind the tv. Fwiw

Very informative. I basically took a look at these and said eh, not for me, but I've heard the glasses thing has gotten better. I think the pair I tried had batteries in the glasses.

Reaction Score
the answer is glasses free 3d which Toshiba and others are working on. The extra pixels in 4k sets will be used to create depth perception in HD or used for ultra hd UXHD (4k). OLED 65" screens. That's 10 years out by the time pricing, tech, and the production platforms get to the sweet spot and a new standard is adopted.

I can wait... and when the prices are right where I like them I'll scoop one up... I have to admit wearing glasses is kind of annoying... Feels like I'm hiding behind something... Don't care for that....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom