OT- ESPN losing more talent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- ESPN losing more talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
UCFSports 5:24pm via TweetDeck
I'm told the ESPNU announcers for UCF/USF softball aren't on site. They're calling game from studio at Disney WWS just an hour up I-4. Odd.
This is the future of play calling it seems. beIN sports rarely, if ever, send their broadcasters to on site for all the soccer matches they broadcast. As uconnfan68 said, even ESPN did this for a basketball game. I can imagine that more networks will do the same for events that aren't high importance such as UCF/USF softball or a Tuesday evening MAC football game in the fall.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Why all that talent is headed out the door at ESPN

"In an earlier, richer age, ESPN's executives simply would have taken out their checkbook to renew the contracts of such personalities as Cowherd, Bayless and Tirico, said John Ourand, who covers the company for SportsBusiness Daily. "If they were a million dollars off on a talent they wanted, I imagine they just bridged that gap" with more money, he said.

But that was then."

Interesting read here from the Courant on talent leaving ESPN. Pretty good idea of their thought process regarding on air talent going forward

The thing is I'm not entirely sure this is true. ESPN has always had a fairly high amount of turn over. Look at all the guys that left SportsCenter and went on to do other things. In more than a couple of cases it was definitely about the money. There were a few years right after the mouse bought them where I think they over payed for a lot of ex-NFL types... but really it's an industry with a glut of talent. There are probably ex-players lined up for miles that want to do TV, plus tons of kids out of college, ex college coaches, etc. I think it's more about them returning to the norm after being flush with Disney cash. Honestly I'm amazed at some of those marginal talents that have lasted as long as they have.

Reaction Score
We all like seeing ESPN suffer for being such a to UConn over the years, but in fairness, talking heads are like running backs in the NFL - why overpay when you can find cheaper talent to do the same job. There's not a guy leaving that you think, OMG, I'm never going to watch a telecast again. In 5 years, you'll be saying what ever happened to ________. Then again, in 5 years, we'll be saying remember __________, Fox just let him go because they can't afford him.

Reaction Score
The thing is I'm not entirely sure this is true. ESPN has always had a fairly high amount of turn over. Look at all the guys that left SportsCenter and went on to do other things. In more than a couple of cases it was definitely about the money. There were a few years right after the mouse bought them where I think they over payed for a lot of ex-NFL types... but really it's an industry with a glut of talent. There are probably ex-players lined up for miles that want to do TV, plus tons of kids out of college, ex college coaches, etc. I think it's more about them returning to the norm after being flush with Disney cash. Honestly I'm amazed at some of those marginal talents that have lasted as long as they have.
Flush with Disney cash? ESPN was typically over 30% of Disney's total profit and 2% of the overhead.

Reaction Score
Flush with Disney cash? ESPN was typically over 30% of Disney's total profit and 2% of the overhead.

I'll admit my knowledge of business is minimal, but that seems like pretty good numbers for a branch of a company

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

I'll take you'er completely unsubstantiated quotes as gospel (I'm not really being a jackass... I believe you!) and just say that about that time they seem to have added a lot of over payed talent. :)

Reaction Score
I'll take you'er completely unsubstantiated quotes as gospel (I'm not really being a jackass... I believe you!) and just say that about that time they seem to have added a lot of over payed talent. :)
Read a stock prospectus. Read quarterly summaries in many publications. It's public knowledge.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The pivot is intersting because the dollars are so small in context.

The Force Awakens is at about 3 billion in revenue costing 300 million to make.

ESPN collects 3 billion in affilate fees in about 4 months.

They have just spent so much on MNF, NBA and MLB - that they are cutting loose people over money they used to have in their couch for Disney's earnings.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The pivot is intersting because the dollars are so small in context.

The Force Awakens is at about 3 billion in revenue costing 300 million to make.

ESPN collects 3 billion in affilate fees in about 4 months.

They have just spent so much on MNF, NBA and MLB - that they are cutting loose people over money they used to have in their couch for Disney's earnings.

Makes sense. They can't cut costs on those contracts so they cut where they can.

Reaction Score
Don't care for Tessitore's shtick....I hope this means that he will be exiting College Football Final.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Don't care for Tessitore's shtick....I hope this means that he will be exiting College Football Final.

Indeed. That show was hideous last year.

Reaction Score
via Reliable Sources:
It's finally official: Skip Bayless is joining Fox Sports 1. He said ESPN held him back... He'll be "completely honest" now... (THR)

This is akin to Trump's recent comment that _now_ he was going to "take the gloves off."

Reaction Score
The NFL show has nearly completely turned over for MNF. Woodson is on board this year - almost a whole new team. Sundays in the studio and Mondays they will be on site for the games.

Reaction Score
Its the end of an era, after 29 years Tom Jackson is gone, I will miss watching the hour long editions of NFL primetime with him and Berman. ESPN is going downhill and he knows it, Berman knows it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Its the end of an era, after 29 years Tom Jackson is gone, I will miss watching the hour long editions of NFL primetime with him and Berman. ESPN is going downhill and he knows it, Berman knows it.

Seemed to me Berman was driving the bus straight down the hill and had cut the brakes.

You do know the Sunday night version of NFL Primetime went off the air a decade ago right? When NBC got the SNF rights?

Reaction Score
Seemed to me Berman was driving the bus straight down the hill and had cut the brakes.

You do know the Sunday night version of NFL Primetime went off the air a decade ago right? When NBC got the SNF rights?

Exxxactly, EPN sucks, I agree Berman the last decade has been awful. I was just making reference to TJ and Berman when they did NFL Primetime thats all.

Reaction Score

I loved that show. Would watch every possible play i could during the day and still tune in to that.

Life before kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99