OT: Donuts.... Duck Donuts | The Boneyard

OT: Donuts.... Duck Donuts

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Backstory.... They started a few years ago on the Outer Banks of NC...... and they have slowly expanded up and down the east coast. I saw this episode on TV about a couple of years ago.. and Ive been yearning for some ever since.. but figured a 4 hour drive is probably too long of a drive to pick up a few donuts. :oops:

Well.... they are FINALLY opening up a location here in town..... it was announced a few months ago.... and its opening next week...

I was raised on Krispy Kreme.... discovered Dunkin Donuts as a young lad.... and converted to Donut World back in 2011 or so. Even so.... Im always willing to try a new donut shop.

Has anyone ever been? If so.... how are they? Im wondering if its worth starving myself for a couple of days before they open ..... then driving over there and wait in line to pick up a dozen or so.

Warning. Dont watch this video if you are hungry... :oops:

Reaction Score
I find Duck Donuts to be over-rated (this opinion being from a guy who grew up in CT with Dunkin Donuts, and was impressed with the hot, melt-in-your mouth taste of freshly-made Krispy Kreme when they rolled into Southern California as part of their national growth in the early 2000's). Duck Donuts are freshly made, but more "cakey"/"bread-y"than Krispy Kreme, not as light in texture, while lacking the variety of Dunkin Donuts, with the flavors being only the various dips/toppings that the same basic donut is topped with-no fillings, no chocolate cake/dough, no crullers, etc. It's not bad, per se, just limited. I prefer both Krispy Kreme and Dunkin over Duck Donuts by a wide margin.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Plan your strategy, Triad - looks like a must-go to me! Take your patience pills and get in line. And let us know how good they are!

Reaction Score
I used to get Krispy Kreme donuts in Maryland with my dad early on Sunday mornings. It was way back when. Haven't seen one in many years, certainly not in Connecticut. They used to be great.

Dunkin is pretty pedestrian if you ask me.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I find Duck Donuts to be over-rated (this opinion being from a guy who grew up in CT with Dunkin Donuts, and was impressed with the hot, melt-in-your mouth taste of freshly-made Krispy Kreme when they rolled into Southern California as part of their national growth in the early 2000's). Duck Donuts are freshly made, but more "cakey"/"bread-y"than Krispy Kreme, not as light in texture, while lacking the variety of Dunkin Donuts, with the flavors being only the various dips/toppings that the same basic donut is topped with-no fillings, no chocolate cake/dough, no crullers, etc. It's not bad, per se, just limited. I prefer both Krispy Kreme and Dunkin over Duck Donuts by a wide margin.

I dont mind limited options.... if I want a wide range...... I just can go to Donut World. I like cakey and the lighter variety that Krispy Kreme is known for. I rarely if ever go to Dunkin they are ok... and they have a good variety... I probably just catch them either too early... or too late. I may go to Krispy Kreme once or twice a year. The thing that caught my attention with Duck is that they are made to order........ they are warm... and the choice of dipped coatings.

Plan your strategy, Triad - looks like a must-go to me! Take your patience pills and get in line. And let us know how good they are!

I dont like waiting in line.... and im sure they will be packed opening week....... might have to go at a odd time like 2:38 pm and hope for the best.

I used to get Krispy Kreme donuts in Maryland with my dad early on Sunday mornings. It was way back when. Haven't seen one in many years, certainly not in Connecticut. They used to be great.

Dunkin is pretty pedestrian if you ask me.

Most of the Dunkin Donuts I see down here are attached to Gas Stations. I dont know how long they have been sitting around... but the ones ive had dont have that freshly made taste that I can get at Donut World or even Krispy Kreme.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Backstory.... They started a few years ago on the Outer Banks of NC. and they have slowly expanded up and down the east coast. I saw this episode on TV about a couple of years ago.. and Ive been yearning for some ever since.. but figured a 4 hour drive is probably too long of a drive to pick up a few donuts. :oops:

Well.... they are FINALLY opening up a location here in town..... it was announced a few months ago.... and its opening next week...

I was raised on Krispy Kreme.... discovered Dunkin Donuts as a young lad.... and converted to Donut World back in 2011 or so. Even so.... Im always willing to try a new donut shop.

Has anyone ever been? If so.... how are they? Im wondering if its worth starving myself for a couple of days before they open ..... then driving over there and wait in line to pick up a dozen or so.

Warning. Dont watch this video if you are hungry... :oops:

Could the forum moderators please delete or otherwise exclude this unbelievably delicious post? These donuts are unavailable here in NYC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Could the forum moderators please delete or otherwise exclude this unbelievably delicious post? These donuts are unavailable here in NYC.

Well they have a few locations in New Jersey. One in Middletown..... one in a place called Green Brook Township... and one in south Jersey... Avalon. Not sure how far away from NYC that is.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well they have a few locations in New Jersey. One in Middletown..... one in a place called Green Brook Township... and one in south Jersey... Avalon. Not sure how far away from NYC that is.
No good. It's not a donut throw.

Just go on. Go on with your, your, your donut talk.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I like Dunkin' because of their variety, but if you're ever in Columbia order a Kahlua Cream Cake from Chocolate Nirvana.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Green Brook (the town) - at least the one I know of - is on Route 22 in central Jersey. Not much of a place, but I think there was some shopping there. Middletown is more toward the shore.

Here in AZ we have a new Krispy Kreme, but we haven't been. A few Dunkin's, they are not as big out here (or in Texas, where we were visiting some of my wife's family last week) as they were back east.

Never heard of Duck Donuts before.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
If anyone lives in Austin, or went to school there, I'm sure you know Round Rock Donuts. Gotta be the best in the world.

ROUND ROCK DONUTS
That's where my sister-in-law lives, off of 620 about 2 miles west of 35. She has never mentioned it, although they do a lot of local dining. Her love and missing of Dunkin wasn't the donuts, it was the coffee which she liked.

Its an interesting area. Home prices have been going up. Next year she retires, and her and her 77 year old husband will be looking for some sort of senior independent living. Done with taking care of property and having 2 stories. They have been having a hard time finding something that combines "I would want to live there" without requiring meal plans, among other desires. Regular condos / apartments are often out of their price range. But very interesting and heavily trafficked area.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
They just opened a store here in Columbus, a block from my office :oops:, and I think they are delicious. The first day I went (at 10:30am, don't tell my boss) there was a line out the door. I've been back twice since. All times I've gotten peanut butter icing, oreo crumbles, and hot fudge drizzle. They are best when they are fresh, but still strong contenders later on that day. I'm a victim to habits, so I haven't really experimented with the other combos, but I've heard lemon icing with raspberry drizzle is good too.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I like Dunkin' because of their variety, but if you're ever in Columbia order a Kahlua Cream Cake from Chocolate Nirvana.

33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

I remember I recommended you check out Donut World when you were in town for the Regionals in 2015..... and you didnt even go. Not sure why I should check out that place.

But in case I reconsider..... what part of Columbia is it in :cool::p:D:p

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They just opened a store here in Columbus, a block from my office :oops:, and I think they are delicious. The first day I went (at 10:30am, don't tell my boss) there was a line out the door. I've been back twice since. All times I've gotten peanut butter icing, oreo crumbles, and hot fudge drizzle. They are best when they are fresh, but still strong contenders later on that day. I'm a victim to habits, so I haven't really experimented with the other combos, but I've heard lemon icing with raspberry drizzle is good too.

lakers-reaction-kobe.gif

Reaction Score
Never done Duck Donuts but I know Avalon (must've missed the donuts and have other food sources there). It's a LONG way to NYC. Almost as far south as Jersey goes. I've seen the shop IIRC and will give 'em a try next time.

As for KK (my fav), when passing through NEPA, there are two near Scranton, minutes off route 81. They get a lot of off road traffic. We used to buy a dozen mixed selection to go and big coffee for a few hour road trip. We quit that after a while (overload) but still consider them a treat. Among the best beside the basic glazed are the chocolate iced glazed (that's double sugar hit of course), and most any other glazed like jelly filled (double again) , pumpkin, or sour cream.

Dunkin has a few types that are OK in a pinch and are much more available everywhere. BTW, Dunkin's croissant egg sandwiches aren't bad of the fast road food genre.

Reaction Score
35 years ago on our honeymoon morning breakfast, Mrs. B. Said to me "the motto for our marriage is - The Search for the Perfect Donut".

At the time we lived on the Upper West Side and used to frequent a local shop. We live in CT so the best donut in our book are the cider donuts from Lyman Orchards. But we have been known to go nuts on occasion:
Dynamo Donut + Coffee

We spent $75 on a dozen bespoke donuts to bring as a house gift once on a trip to San Fran, and I have to say they were worth it!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
View attachment 18834 View attachment 18834 View attachment 18834 View attachment 18834 View attachment 18834 View attachment 18834 View attachment 18834 View attachment 18834 View attachment 18834

I remember I recommended you check out Donut World when you were in town for the Regionals in 2015..... and you didnt even go. Not sure why I should check out that place.

But in case I reconsider..... what part of Columbia is it in :cool::p:D:p

No, but I found a Mexican place in Greensboro that had the best Chipotle Chicken I've ever had. It wasn't far from the Coliseum.

It's on Main just north of Elmwood. You have to order it in advance, but it is amazing. I sometimes order it for my birthday.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
No, but I found a Mexican place in Greensboro that had the best Chipotle Chicken I've ever had. It wasn't far from the Coliseum.

Hmmmmm... now im curious about this place :oops:

Reaction Score
35 years ago on our honeymoon morning breakfast, Mrs. B. Said to me "the motto for our marriage is - The Search for the Perfect Donut".

At the time we lived on the Upper West Side and used to frequent a local shop. We live in CT so the best donut in our book are the cider donuts from Lyman Orchards. But we have been known to go nuts on occasion:
Dynamo Donut + Coffee

We spent $75 on a dozen bespoke donuts to bring as a house gift once on a trip to San Fran, and I have to say they were worth it!

Nearby in Wallingford- try Neil's.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This thread makes me hungry :oops:

Dynamo Donut + Coffee

Though Western NC is a major apple growing area.... the idea of cider donuts never crossed my mind .... until I saw an episode about Sky Top Orchard in Flat Rock last year. On my fall foliage trip in October... I was in the same county as the orchard... but going their would have thrown me about 90 minutes behind schedule. Best believe I will be getting some cider donuts in 2017. :mad:

Reaction Score
Cider donuts! When Clyde's Cider Mill i Old Mystic opens next fall, I'll figure out a way to get you some amazing cider donuts...and I don't have a huge craving for other donuts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom