OT: Dog Toys

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by UConnSwag11, Oct 11, 2016.

1. UConnSwag11

UConnSwag11 Storrs, CT The Mecca

Need some ideas for dog toys for outside of the house and inside... Until I get a second dog to occupy the one I have, I need some good dog toys to keep her occupied. Thanks

Huskyforlife likes this.
  2. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

If they squeak they love them. Go to any Marshalls. TJ MAxx and check out the dog toy section and have a blast, their priced right there to grab a bundle to try!

3. uconnell

uconnell

I feel bad leaving our dog for the length of time we are gone for a football game. She sits at the window and watches us leave and I feel guilty, as she is so attached to us, she was a pound dog. So I bought a toy into which you stuff treats,I use natural peanut butter,some kibble, crushed biscuits, etc.
    She didn't even watch us leave.

Hankster, Dove, uconnfan68 and 3 others like this.
  4. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

True story we were to go to Key West for vacation this summer with another couple and kids, I stayed home to take care of the dog. She gets so damn sad when she sees luggage because in the past she knows we're gone for 5-10 days and although we have friends who take care of her, it's not the same. I told my wife she's 13 going on 14 I will not take a vacation that does not include her until.well anyway I stayed home. When I left at 5 in the morning with my wife and son, with all the luggage she moped into her bed and her eyes were watery and sad. Lots of luggage means a long time before she sees her family right? After I dropped them off at the airport and returned it was really amazing to see how happy she was that someone was staying home with her, she reacted as if I WAS gone for 7 days LOL

They are worth it!!

5. UConnSwag11

UConnSwag11 Storrs, CT The Mecca

thanks... what about toys or games that keep them curious, ones that move or make her almost problem solve in away? I get her a lot of stuff toys and bones and she does love them but when I'm busy or leave the house I'd like something that can give her a bit of challenge

Huskyforlife likes this.
  6. alexd.

alexd.

:eek:

When is our first game?????

Huskyforlife likes this.
  7. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

That's a ruff one alex

Huskyforlife likes this.
  8. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

Leave a bear or a wolf in the house, that will challenge her while you're gone.

uconnfan68, Huskyforlife and uconnell like this.
  9. uconnell

uconnell

Getting the treats out of the toy is a challenge .

UConnSwag11 and mauconnfan like this.
  10. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

That is a good idea.

For my lady she enjoys getting the squeaker out of the toy - she finds it, squeaks it for a week or so then it's time to go after it, rip it apart get the squeaker and prance around with it, knowing then she will be getting a new one soon. White stuffing everywhere until she gets it.

You know what else she loves to do, and we aren't sure why this is, when we are done with our plastic bottles for water we throw them and she grabs them. For a while she will walk around all proud making that crunching noise but then after a couple of minutes she lays down with it and takes the top off, spits it out and is done. Have no idea where she came up with the top off the bottle but this is what she loves to do. She rips it off through the threads, then that bottle has taken its course with her.

uconnell and UConnSwag11 like this.
  11. UConnKev

UConnKev

Get a Kong. Fill it with peanut butter, put an ice cube or two inside and then throw into freezer for an hour or two.

mauconnfan and UConnSwag11 like this.
  12. methodology

methodology

Dogs are den animals. Buy a kennel at first it will be difficult but over time they will love going in it and view it as their safe place. Just don't use it as punishment for when they do something bad otherwise they will view it as such. They can be in a kennel for 6 hours just leave food and water. I never leave me dogs kenneled for longer than 7 hours. They shouldn't pee or poop in their kennel as they don't do that where they sleep

Kong, nylabone, squeaky toys, tennis balls, rope, every dog is different with what they like.

UConnSwag11 likes this.
  13. uconnell

uconnell

kong, yes that's what I bought, couldn't think of the name, only I don't freeze it. I have a N American Staffordshire Terrior ( Pit Bull) 70 lb food eating machine. She loves people, other animals not at all and is very curious. We really love her.

UConnSwag11 likes this.
  14. k9fanatic

k9fanatic

Go on Amazon and look up Nina Ottoson dog puzzles. They are phenominal. I bought a couple for my dog and she loves them. Her favorite is the interactive dog brick puzzle
    [​IMG]
    She has to remove the white bones to be able to slide the dark squares to get the treat underneath.

A bit pricey, but well worth it.

uconnell, mauconnfan and UConnSwag11 like this.
  15. Dove

Dove Vance comin'

My dog is simple. She loves her "Pinchy". Brings it to the door every time we come home.

"Pinchy":
    [​IMG]

Hopi:

[​IMG]

16. Hankster

Hankster What do I know.

No doubt she went back to the window.

17. Hankster

Hankster What do I know.

Great story. Been there. Even though it is fall, I am talking the wife into getting a motor home. One of the reasons? Well to do some travel and take them (3) with us. Tired of asking family to watch the dogs for a long weekend. They have their lives. Pack the RV up and call them in and away we go. Yes, they are worth.

uconnell and mauconnfan like this.
  18. August_West

August_West Resident Champion

It's called a " couch"

19. beakumhawks

beakumhawks

20. UConn Esq

UConn Esq

I find Himalayan Dog Chews to be the longest lasting chew toy for my Husky and when they break down into smaller bits you can microwave them and turn it into a popped treat for them. I recommend getting the original brand version and not a knock off - they're a bit expensive but very worth it

21. 61cygni

61cygni