OT Did you know...? | The Boneyard

OT Did you know...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Did you know...?

That two teams faced each other five consecutive years in the NCAA tournament?

I don't know if this has happened before or since, or if it is even a record, but the last two match-ups (and this is a big hint) each went to overtime, which surely is a record.

For today's trivia question, who are these two teams?

Reaction Score
Ummmm... are these women's basketball teams? Sorry, but I'm having trouble controlling my inner lawyer today.

And my inner contestant wants to know what the prize is for getting the answer right.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
yes, wbb

The prize - immense personal satisfaction. (plus a nickel, pick up only)

Reaction Score
UCONN and Tennessee were in 02,03,04..... but I do not believe 05. Nor do I believe they met in 01. We played them in 00... so four out of five years. and we played them in 95,96,97.... but think that was it there. We met Stanford in 08,09, 10...... Guess it is not going to be UCONN... I give

Reaction Score
Did you know...?

That two teams faced each other five consecutive years in the NCAA tournament?

I don't know if this has happened before or since, or if it is even a record, but the last two match-ups (and this is a big hint) each went to overtime, which surely is a record.

For today's trivia question, who are these two teams?

Virginia and the Team with the 2nd best Tournament Record

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Mike nails it.

In 1987, 1988, and 1989, Virginia faced Tennessee in the NCAA tournament and lost.

In 1990, they faced again, in the Regional final, with more than usual at stake. If number one seeded Tennessee beats Virginia for a fourth straight time, they get to go to the Final Four and play on their home court.

The game went to overtime, but Virginia, with Dawn Staley earning Regional MVP honors, won in overtime, and Virginia went on to the Final Four.

(Virginia also faced Tennessee again in 1991, after beating Connecticut in the semi-final).

1990 NCAA Women's Division I Basketball Tournament

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Guess it is not going to be UCONN... I give

I put OT in the subject line, as a hint that it wasn't UConn (not a clever comment on being about OT games, I'm not that clever).

I spent yesterday morning researching the 1990 tournament and writing a brief summary of the results, so thought I'd try to come up with a catchy way to create some interest in the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom