OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't! | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
have to say that Diamond is a very talented player...that being said i firmly believe that great players never have to talk about themselves because someone else is always talking about them...other than her freshman year she has been up and down...think there is no question as to her ability but rather her heart and desire...can't see her making comments like that if Pat were the coach...Lady Vols would be much better served by developing team unity than worrying about POY awards...curious what Boneyard would say if KLS had made those statements....just a thought or two
Uconn players say I want to win National Championships!

Reaction Score
Ball hog? Puhlease, when Maya played, she took the bulk of the shots because she was the best scorer and could easily get her shot. As a senior, she took 30.0% of all shots. It was Kara Lawson that said it best during the NCAA tourney. When you have players that have so much offensive abilities and the athleticism to always be able to get their shot, it's a learning process on when to take your shot and it's also not an easy thing to hold back. By comparison, I calculated Diamond's percentage of all shots taken starting with the SEC tourney, because this is when she was put in the starting line up permanently and her minutes were very high per game. She took 30.7% of the shots.
Maya also lost 4 games in her college career and won 2NCs! Dont compare them!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Maybe it's my personal bias--but when DT, Maya, Stew, Gabby, Sue get interviewed after a game--even brash high energy self confident DT--seem to always speak about the team more than themselves=I don't know Sue or Maya personally--but they have the nicest personas both come across a nice people---but don't play them one on one....

I've said this before, and it bares repeating, BOTH Dee and Maya are "cold blooded assassins". They'll both cut your heart out. The only difference is Maya will do it, and keep a straight face the whole time.

Dee will be smiling, grinning and winking at you while she's doing it. Also, Maya, being the conscientious person she is, will try and put the heart back where she got it. Dee on the other hand, will try and put it back, but through a different orifice. :eek:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree completely. But announcers love to play DD up, perhaps as a slightly edgy figure, whether we think it's appropriate or not. Don't forget that MJ referred to his teammates as his "supporting cast."

Players like Dee, Diamond, Achonwa and Diggins, make a game announcer's job a lot easier. It gives them something else to talk about or reference. I could not stand Diggins (who always played UConn tough with a "no fear" attitude) when she was playing at ND, because of her brash and cocky attitude (and they were wuppin our butts). I respected her, her game, and her leadership qualities during this time. Make no mistake about it. SHE was the team leader. The team all rallied around her.

I did not like her at all. A lot of people felt (feel) the same way about Dee, for the same reasons. Slow dull low scoring games are hard to call. When you have a "Boogie Cousins" type player on the court, now you've got something else to talk about if the game slows to a crawl. I would imagine it's hard to do play-by-play of a snail race.

We love Dee. Non UConn fans can't stand her. For all the reason they hate her, we love her. I guess it depends on one's perception. If Dee were on their team, they'd love her too. It's a lot like looking at a gun. You get a totally difference perspective, and come away with a different feeling if you;re looking at the gun from the FRONT (and someone else is holding it), as opposed to looking at it from the rear. :eek:

Reaction Score
I've said this before, and it bares repeating, BOTH Dee and Maya are "cold blooded assassins". They'll both cut your heart out. The only difference is Maya will do it, and keep a straight face the whole time.

Dee will be smiling, grinning and winking at you while she's doing it. Also, Maya, being the conscientious person she is, will try and put the heart back where she got it. Dee on the other hand, will try and put it back, but through a different orifice. :eek:

Best description I have even seen! Kudos!

Reaction Score
i don't see any issue with her being excited and setting the highest goals possible. i rem stewie saying she wanted to win 4 titles and she did. now, they have different attitudes and personalities but diamond seems to get a lot of grief on here. to my knowledge, she has never said anything bad about UCONN. in fact, she has always admired your coach and success. she's a kid and from a VERY successful family of athletes. i think it comes from that. :)

to piggyback on my last post here is a recent tweet from diamond:

Diamond DeShields ‏@DDDeshields Aug 12

Diamond DeShields Retweeted Sue Favor

Nothin but love for Coach Auriemma. Keeps it real.

I myself have no issues with DeShields herself. My issues are with her fans and the media. Both annointed her a star in her second year of high school and have continued to praise her since, despite little evidence that she deserved it. Sure, she has a great mid-range shot but other than that her offensive skills are nothing special.

Admittedly, stats aren't the sole measure of a player, but they certainly factor in any assessment.
(apologies for the crappy formatting)
Player min/g fg-fga fg% 3fg-fga 3fg% rb tot av/g a to blk stl pts avg
DeShields, Diamond 26.8 195-499 .391 36-145 .248 186 5.2 82 115 29 58 14.3
Williams, Gabby... 18.6 147-231 .636 0-0 .000 213 5.6 51 45 13 72 8.8

Williams held her own in a part-time role against a player whose fans insist is world-class. Sure, Williams didn't take even one 3pt shot but I'd say Tenn would have been better off if DeShields had done the same. What DeShields has is stage presence. She has the swagger and look of superiority and the personality that the media loves. So they ignore her mediocre stats.

I've watched DeShields for the two years she has played and I see two players, the one who seems almost bored during the regular season and the motivated player she becomes in the NCAA's. What that says to me is a) she is externally motivated, and b) she doesn't give 100% every minute she's on the court. Sure, it's total speculation on my part but I suspect a big reason she left UNC was that she didn't like playing in front of an empty arena, nor being essentially anonymous on campus. Stars need the spotlight.

I think DeShields' athleticism and flash will result in a fine pro career as long as she develops a better outside shot and stays healthy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Players like Dee, Diamond, Achonwa and Diggins, make a game announcer's job a lot easier. It gives them something else to talk about or reference. I could not stand Diggins (who always played UConn tough with a "no fear" attitude) when she was playing at ND, because of her brash and cocky attitude (and they were wuppin our butts). I respected her, her game, and her leadership qualities during this time. Make no mistake about it. SHE was the team leader. The team all rallied around her.

I did not like her at all. A lot of people felt (feel) the same way about Dee, for the same reasons. Slow dull low scoring games are hard to call. When you have a "Boogie Cousins" type player on the court, now you've got something else to talk about if the game slows to a crawl. I would imagine it's hard to do play-by-play of a snail race.

We love Dee. Non UConn fans can't stand her. For all the reason they hate her, we love her. I guess it depends on one's perception. If Dee were on their team, they'd love her too. It's a lot like looking at a gun. You get a totally difference perspective, and come away with a different feeling if you;re looking at the gun from the FRONT (and someone else is holding it), as opposed to looking at it from the rear. :eek:

Turban---Envelope--Announcers don't watch games--once in a while they'll tell the score from 2 minutes ago--even when GOLD is the end result--they find things so far out in left field that one wonders where they are and what they are doing? Bob Percosie (sp?) with Megan spoke the game--and pulled Megan back into the game regularly--I can think of no others and it's frustrating. A foul is called --which team? Who? how many? Technical called--her mother sisters friend is going to DC next week--great stuff.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Per this article, she has been battling shin injuries since high school. GWINNETT GRADS: Norcross’ Diamond DeShields improving in debut Lady Vols season

She had a whole transfer year to sit out and they were still keeping her out of preseason games last year. I know they are saying she is finally healthy but I'm skeptical that leg issues that have been so persistent are now gone for good.
If Diamond still has chronic injuries despite sitting out her transfer year, that does not bode well.

Reaction Score

As always you are correct--but I'd add Sue to this list of assassins.
Probably because you were writing Ass ass ins you got caught up in being BARE.
Just funing with you--it kind of tickled me reading both--obviously or hopefully you know no insult or nitpicking was intended --just the fun of it.

Reaction Score
Maya also lost 4 games in her college career and won 2NCs! Dont compare them!!!

As a freshman at NC --her body style, her long range 3's, her slashing all reminded me of Maya.
The CAN be compared. Maya was always a nice personality---I don't know enough about Diamond to compare personalities.
Wining and losing games isn't always about ONE player--although in her final game of her Uconn career Mayaa put that team on her back and lost--if she had any help they may have have won.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
As a freshman at NC --her body style, her long range 3's, her slashing all reminded me of Maya.
The CAN be compared. Maya was always a nice personality---I don't know enough about Diamond to compare personalities.
Wining and losing games isn't always about ONE player--although in her final game of her Uconn career Mayaa put that team on her back and lost--if she had any help they may have have won.
Well Maya has been healthy. Remember at WUG Diamond couldn't play due to injury. So now a healthy Diamond can make a big difference.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What I have found interesting is how 'disappointing' DD was last year, and how 'acclaimed' she was as a freshman - while really putting up identical numbers when taking into account team playing style - UNC played a more open and less defensive game so they scored more and gave up more points, TN scored less and gave up fewer points but DD represented almost identical proportions of points and assists and turnovers while shooting the same mediocre percentages. And the team preformed almost identically as well.

I do think she has suffered from not having strong coaching at either school, and her medical issues remain an issue. But I like efficient players, and she has never been an efficient player at the college level, in fact the opposite.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Every once and a while I check in here to see the breadth and depth of the lunacy. Every athlete is as good or bad as his/her last season ... so all this is just make believe. The last person to "really" like Orange Cool Aid was in a sitcom.

Carnac

Reaction Score
What has DD done/won/accomplished on the court to deserve Trumplike media attention?

In a word, nothing. It's a slow week here in the yard. Not much to talk about/discuss. We've got to talk about something/someone, and her name came up. She's easy fodder. EVERYBODY has an opinion about Diamond DeShields. :cool:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Every once and a while I check in here to see the breadth and depth of the lunacy. Every athlete is as good or bad as his/her last season ... so all this is just make believe. The last person to "really" like Orange Cool Aid was in a sitcom.
Or lying face down in Jonestown dirt.

Reaction Score
Maya was a better passer, wasnt a volume shooter, was a better defender and played 100% all the time. Maya was supposed to have EDD with her, what could of been(sigh). But IMO if Caroline Doty wasnt injured that year. They win it all!

Reaction Score
Maya was a better passer, wasnt a volume shooter, was a better defender and played 100% all the time. Maya was supposed to have EDD with her, what could of been(sigh). But IMO if Caroline Doty wasnt injured that year. They win it all!
Is the implication that Diamond is a VOLUME SHOOTER? What makes a VOLUME SHOOTER?
What do they do that makes you think them VOLUME SHOOTERS? Is that akin to BALL HOG?
I haven't seen Diamond much since she transferred but at NC she shot when she had to (I thought)
Not looking for an ARGUMENT --just wondering how Volume shooter is defined.

Reaction Score
Well Maya has been healthy. Remember at WUG Diamond couldn't play due to injury. So now a healthy Diamond can make a big difference.

I'm not a Diamond hater. Her last games at NC she played a little sat a little and looked slowed. I could never tell if all the wrappings on her legs were about warmth or injury.
I compared Maya to Diamond in body style and long range 3 shooting. However at NC Diamond did a bit more attacking the basket than Maya did as a Freshman. (a Geno complaint then)
The guarantee is that Maya left College with more NC's than Diamond shall do.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is the implication that Diamond is a VOLUME SHOOTER? What makes a VOLUME SHOOTER?
What do they do that makes you think them VOLUME SHOOTERS? Is that akin to BALL HOG?
I haven't seen Diamond much since she transferred but at NC she shot when she had to (I thought)

A volume shooter is one that violates a bed rock principle of basketball. That principle is your best shooters should be taking the most shot. The violation is often compounded by lazy basketball people who give out awards based on the results of violating that principle. Two most egregious example: 1) Diamond Deshields was named National Freshmen of the Year at UNC because she violated the principle and the voters for the award were so lazy that they did not even realize she was not even the best Freshmen on that UNC team. DD shot the ball 220 more times than her next closest UNC player when she was the worst shooter by far among the UNC starters. 2) Kaela Davis at GT ’14-15. Kaela Davis probably had to transfer form GT, because she needed a full year off to ice her arm. Miss Davis shot the ball 645 times as a Sophomore at a 37% accuracy (worst shooter on GT among starters by far) overall and averaged 18 PPG.By contrast Azura Stevens shot the ball 379 times at a 51% clip and averaged 14.1 PPG. A lazy blue ribbon panel selected Davis 1St team ALL-ACC and Azura 2nd-team All-ACC-Go figure.
A volume shooter can be a ball hog but there is a different skill with ball hog. A ball hog is that one guy/gal where the ball spends too much time in their control. He/she dribbles too much, doesn’t pass enough or pass on time. Neither is conducive to winning basketball.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the typical usage of 'volume shooter' is someone who averages a lot of points for their team (typically leads the team) but does so because the are shooting a disproportionate number of the teams shots and are not hitting those shots at a high percentage. Specific to DD here are some numbers from freshman and sophomore years:
UNC 2013-14: DD took 582 shots - 220 more than her nearest teammate and 24.3% of the teams shots while playing 13.5% of the minutes. She scored 18.0 points per game for 22.8% of the teams points and 4.1 more ppg than anyone else on the team. Her shooting percentages were: .426/.279 - while the team as a whole shot .444/.322. The other three players who scored in double figures were shooting: .481/.418, .472/.412, and .523/___ (Mavunga, their center) while taking 362, 301, and 308 shots. UNC as a team was scoring 1.11 points pre shot when DD shot, and 1.26 points when anyone else took the shot.

TN 2015-16: DD took 499 shots - 182 more shots than her nearest teammate and 22.7% of the teams shots while playing 13.3 % of the minutes. She scored 14.3 points per game for 21.8 % of the teams points and 4.0 more ppg than anyone else on the team. Her shooting percentages were: .391/.248 - while the team as a whole shot .408/.254. TN was offensively challenged as a whole and scored only minimally more points when someone other than DD shot, mostly because the second highest shooter was freshman Te'a Cooper who was shooting at .369/.260 worse than Diamond from two and only marginally better from three.

As an interesting comparison Maya Moore 'carried' her team as a senior and dominated the shooting but here are her stats:
Uconn 2010-11: MM took 636 shots - 253 more than her nearest teammate and 29.0% of the teams shots while playing 16.5% of the minutes. She scored 22.8 points per game for 29.8% of the teams points and 9.1 ppg more than anyone else on the team. Her shooting percentages were: .524/.384 - while the team as a whole shot .494/.357. The other three double figure scorers were shooting .436/.349, .468/.392, and .616/___ (Stef) while taking 383, 370, and 263 shots. Uconn as a team scored 1.36 points per shot when Maya shot and 1.31 points when anyone else shot.

So ... we speak of DD as a volume shooter because she dominated the team's shots and the scoring for her team, while being less efficient at scoring than the rest of the team, and we don't typically speak of MM as a volume shooter because while she too dominated the shooting and scoring for her senior year team, she did so with greater accuracy and more efficiently than the rest of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom