OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Somewhere between picks 5 and 9. Some coaches/GM's MAY (or may not) be concerned with her mental approach to the game at this point in her career.
I can't see her still being on the board by pick #10. As they say in football, "talent trumps character". We'll see in April, but I think I nailed this one. ;)

Ol' Carnac has been battling a bad case of food poisoning the last 3 days. Sunday night I was calling "Earl & Ralph", to no avail. Neither one of them answered. :confused: I feel much better today. I intend to read every post in this thread in the next couple of days. It looks like some very interesting reading.
Get well!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
unfortunately i tend to think she will leave after this year too. i hope i am wrong. two more years with russell and nared would be our best bet at a FF.
Mercedes will be eligible to leave as well. I have no idea if she will. I think Diamond is more likely to go, but Mercedes could exit as well.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
You summed it up perfectly!

Breanna: 4 NC's = TEAM goal

Diamond: NPOY, defensive award, "I want them all." = INDIVIDUAL awards ONLY, with nary a mention of team or winning actual games...

Yep, sounds awfully like the Willie Wonka movie :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't think the best player out of Georgia would ever say she was the best player out of Georgia.

If Diamond made that statement, I hope it was "tongue-in-cheek". I seem to remember a certain young lady that hails from Georgia. Though she was born in Jefferson City Missouri, she was raised in Gwinette County, near Suwanee in Georgia, and continues to make a pretty good name for her self.

Since she began to play competitive sports in high school, she has left and impressive array of awards and championships in her wake. This trend continued into college, the WNBA , international play, and winning a gold medal in the 2012 Olympics in London. Perhaps you've heard of her. Her name is Maya Moore.

Moore's Career highlights and awards

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd bet the farm that DeShields never come anywhere close to even matching half of these records.
I'm absolutely sure you're right, Carnac. But the odd thing is that while Maya may be the best all-round player ever in the women's game, she's like the Big O: unimaginably brilliant game, made more so because she's so fluid, she largely disappears on the court. But DeShields has almost Dee-like charisma. She'll never be half the player Maya is, but the announcer will call out her name with more gusto, and people will come to see her play.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm absolutely sure you're right, Carnac. But the odd thing is that while Maya may be the best all-round player ever in the women's game, she's like the Big O: unimaginably brilliant game, made more so because she's so fluid, she largely disappears on the court. But DeShields has almost Dee-like charisma. She'll never be half the player Maya is, but the announcer will call out her name with more gusto, and people will come to see her play.
Why?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

People slow down and gawk at auto accidents too, and they often lead the nightly news - but, it ain't because they're charismatic.

Reaction Score
People slow down and gawk at auto accidents too, and they often lead the nightly news - but, it ain't because they're charismatic.
Nah, maybe on this board, but when she plays on TV, the announcers can't wait for her to handle/shoot the ball, and then they say her name breathlessly, as if she were Dee or MJ. Again, she's so far below them in talent or focus, but it is what it is. She walks on the court and every camera follows her.....

Reaction Score
Somewhere between picks 5 and 9. Some coaches/GM's MAY (or may not) be concerned with her mental approach to the game at this point in her career.
I can't see her still being on the board by pick #10. As they say in football, "talent trumps character". We'll see in April, but I think I nailed this one. ;)

Ol' Carnac has been battling a bad case of food poisoning the last 3 days. Sunday night I was calling "Earl & Ralph", to no avail. Neither one of them answered. :confused: I feel much better today. I intend to read every post in this thread in the next couple of days. It looks like some very interesting reading.
I've had actual food poisoning twice --once in Hong Kong the other in Waterbury--neither was pleasant--on the first both ends were working against the middle
and death seemed a good choice --the Waterbury one I stopped in a lunch diner I frequented as a youth and got their specialty--never again. It's true you can't (or maybe shouldn't go back!! As has been said---GET WELL SOON--

Reaction Score
Nah, maybe on this board, but when she plays on TV, the announcers can't wait for her to handle/shoot the ball, and then they say her name breathlessly, as if she were Dee or MJ. Again, she's so far below them in talent or focus, but it is what it is. She walks on the court and every camera follows her.....

Maybe it's my personal bias--but when DT, Maya, Stew, Gabby, Sue get interviewed after a game--even brash high energy self confident DT--seem to always speak about the team more than themselves=I don't know Sue or Maya personally--but they have the nicest personas both come across a nice people---but don't play them one on one....

Reaction Score
Maybe it's my personal bias--but when DT, Maya, Stew, Gabby, Sue get interviewed after a game--even brash high energy self confident DT--seem to always speak about the team more than themselves=I don't know Sue or Maya personally--but they have the nicest personas both come across a nice people---but don't play them one on one....
I agree completely. But announcers love to play DD up, perhaps as a slightly edgy figure, whether we think it's appropriate or not. Don't forget that MJ referred to his teammates as his "supporting cast."

Reaction Score
I agree completely. But announcers love to play DD up, perhaps as a slightly edgy figure, whether we think it's appropriate or not. Don't forget that MJ referred to his teammates as his "supporting cast."
There are at least 2 heads to the Talented Confident coin---Uconn has learned to accept that confidence and focus it on the team. Other schools have a different approach--and Michael Jordan heard trumpets played for him each time he put his right foot on the court. But Men basketball players are a much more selfish breed--even those without talent.

Reaction Score
Interesting that we can parse meanings while objectively understanding each other. Again, without it we we'd never be able to post or reply.
But we can always post replies that have a positive bent to them, otherwise we'd be in a chaotic anarchic venue. I like bantering with nice people--like you.

Reaction Score
DD is a very mediocre basketball player in a very athletic body.....why she receives so much hype is beyond me. She's hasn't shown me anything that would make a case for any NPOY awards. The stats don't lie honestly.....if any of the NPOY awards take into account ones athleticism, DD would be among the top contenders....however that's not the case.

I think people were so hyped over freshman DD's amazing athletic ability, however whenever I watched NC that year, I was always more impressed by Gray. I may be in the minority amongst my fellow LadyVol fans but DD just doesn't do it for me. I wish Tucker would have panned out for us, because coming out of high school....I was more excited to see her play than any other guard in that class. All we can do is wait and see if DD puts up or shuts up this season. If she has more turnovers than assist this year....she should shut up imo!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
DD is a very mediocre basketball player in a very athletic body.....why she receives so much hype is beyond me. She's hasn't shown me anything that would make a case for any NPOY awards. The stats don't lie honestly.....if any of the NPOY awards take into account ones athleticism, DD would be among the top contenders....however that's not the case.

I think people were so hyped over freshman DD's amazing athletic ability, however whenever I watched NC that year, I was always more impressed by Gray. I may be in the minority amongst my fellow LadyVol fans but DD just doesn't do it for me. I wish Tucker would have panned out for us, because coming out of high school....I was more excited to see her play than any other guard in that class. All we can do is wait and see if DD puts up or shuts up this season. If she has more turnovers than assist this year....she should shut up imo!
Wow! Do you have to turn your VolFan card in now?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
But we can always post replies that have a positive bent to them, otherwise we'd be in a chaotic anarchic venue. I like bantering with nice people--like you.
And I the same. Funnily enough I've had this conversation quite a few times. I've also said quite a few times that objective reality is (in my view) a consensus shared by the majority of humans. Rational humans generally move past the existential once it becomes personal or painful. Recently however for me a death in my family made it once again very personal yet very objective, and very real.

Reaction Score
And I the same. Funnily enough I've had this conversation quite a few times. I've also said quite a few times that objective reality is (in my view) a consensus shared by the majority of humans. Rational humans generally move past the existential once it becomes personal or painful. Recently however for me a death in my family made it once again very personal yet very objective, and very real.

Funny (not really) how something as mundane as death makes the living think more of living--properly. The key word 4th sentence is Rational--some fight to the death over what IS means or other nonsense of that character!. I've lost nearly a dozen in-laws and out-law cousins, brother, and wife's sister. Two of these left a lasting and daily thoughts of them--I spoke of my Wife's sister in another thread--I love her and miss her dearly (that's love-love, not sexual-love). When all is said and done--it isn't the disagreements but the agreements and acceptance of any good deed I may have done or do (good deeds are important). Sometimes my attempts at being funny fail miserably--I know that there isn't any thing in this world that is that important --only my wife.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
5 pages and not one of you has acknowledged that she was injured all season. A leg injury like the one she had throws off the timing and this injury was major enough to keep her off balance mentally and physically. This season she will shut up the naysayers. I, for one, can't wait.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
5 pages and not one of you has acknowledged that she was injured all season. A leg injury like the one she had throws off the timing and this injury was major enough to keep her off balance mentally and physically. This season she will shut up the naysayers. I, for one, can't wait.
Nay.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Consider this proof that I know that you DID NOT read all 5 pages because if you had you would have seen the post commenting on Diamond's health ON PAGE 1 ALONE.
If she can stay healthy this year. I see her as being not just a player with great athletic ability. A player learning more about how to play better. Also to train more and take better care of her body. It could be what makes her a great player.

Health is not the only barrier to Diamond becoming a top 5 player. Proper guidance and the ability to submit to such guidance are far more significant barriers.

I do think one thing she said in the article."When I was at North Carolina, I was like a little firecracker ... a puppy off a leash, just running around like crazy, happy, energetic, excited," DeShields said. "Now I have that energy and have that excitement, but I'm a bigger dog now. I can sit, watch, observe and choose when to attack and when not to attack as opposed to always being one speed." I think she is understanding more how to play the game.

I think that can help her become that player. She has the talent that and staying healthy.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Per this article, she has been battling shin injuries since high school. GWINNETT GRADS: Norcross’ Diamond DeShields improving in debut Lady Vols season

She had a whole transfer year to sit out and they were still keeping her out of preseason games last year. I know they are saying she is finally healthy but I'm skeptical that leg issues that have been so persistent are now gone for good.

Reaction Score
I think DeShields would've been better off coming to Storrs in the beginning.. She woulda been humbled from the start, playing around all the talent we have year in and year out, putting the team first and not herself.. Geno would've made her great...

Woulda coulda shoulda...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Funny (not really) how something as mundane as death makes the living think more of living--properly. The key word 4th sentence is Rational--some fight to the death over what IS means or other nonsense of that character!. I've lost nearly a dozen in-laws and out-law cousins, brother, and wife's sister. Two of these left a lasting and daily thoughts of them--I spoke of my Wife's sister in another thread--I love her and miss her dearly (that's love-love, not sexual-love). When all is said and done--it isn't the disagreements but the agreements and acceptance of any good deed I may have done or do (good deeds are important). Sometimes my attempts at being funny fail miserably--I know that there isn't any thing in this world that is that important --only my wife.
Indeed my friend. Love is love is love is love. In the end it is those we hold most dear that is our objective reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom