OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think the article is pretty good. I am waiting for season to start. So I can see what a healthy Diamond DeShields play on the court.

Reaction Score
Her consistency will improve with her health. Through the tourneys, when she was better, but still not full strength, she shot 40% from the field. As for her quotes, I sure do remember all the haters when the Williams Sisters spoke with a never before seen type of confidence. It's put up or shut up time. When the greats find the confidence to speak up, watch out, because that type of supreme confidence typically equates to great results.
Totally agree. It's time to put up - big question mark whether that can/will happen cuz we haven't seen it yet. Or... time to shut up - pretty sure that's not gonna happen regardless cuz we haven't seen this yet either.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
because the article is a November 4, 2015 interview with . Diamond DeShields.
What? An interview with DD in which Auriemma said. "It was managing all the other stuff that went along with it (superstardom/hype) that was going to be an issue for wherever she went (in this case North Carolina). Now that she's at a place that's used to that (Tennesse), they know how to do that somewhat.

Can someone please post the interview.

Reaction Score
What? An interview with DD in which Auriemma said. "It was managing all the other stuff that went along with it (superstardom/hype) that was going to be an issue for wherever she went (in this case North Carolina). Now that she's at a place that's used to that (Tennesse), they know how to do that somewhat.

Can someone please post the interview.
Jeff Jacobs: Bring On UConn Says Tennesee's Diamond DeShields

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
"I definitely want to be player of the year — SEC and national player of the year," DeShields said. "Whatever player of the year honors there are to get, I want it all. I want to make a defensive team. I never really got a defensive award, and I'm going to try to do that this year."

Gag me :eek::eek::eek::eek:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that quote.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that quote.
Nothing wrong with it. Just a typical quote from [mod edit] "someone" who doesn't 'get it' and is never going to win anything ("It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that ring.")

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
With all this "I" talk... She'll be in for a rough ride... even in the WNBA... She'll have to make a lot of changes in the next year if she plans to be successful. Don't think for a minute that her attitude (as it was on the court a lot of times last year), lack of enthusiasm, and general demeanor will fly with anyone on the same WNBA team as her.

Hopefully she wont turn out to be another Brandy Reed. That's what i'm getting from her right now.

Mercury's Reed Creates More Turmoil

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Yea, it's like that with some people. "Facts, truths, reality? Mean nothing to me, I have my own warped opinions. "

Statistics and observable facts in and of themselves have nothing to do with "truth." This is the thing many Statmeisters on the BY and elsewhere seem to miss. It all depends on the question being posed. If the question is very precise or if it uses well-defined terms, then sometimes stats/facts/etc. can support a good argument without much context. The broader the question, the more these things need context.

Tamika Williams is UCONN's all-time leader in FG%. Was she an efficient scorer? Certainly looks that way. Was she a great shooter? That's a very different question. Yet for some people, high FG% automatically translates to "great shooter" and they will argue this until they are blue in the face. To others who never saw her play, more info would be needed. Just one example.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Statistics and observable facts in and of themselves have nothing to do with "truth." This is the thing many Statmeisters on the BY and elsewhere seem to miss. It all depends on the question being posed. If the question is very precise or if it uses well-defined terms, then sometimes stats/facts/etc. can support a good argument without much context. The broader the question, the more these things need context.
Don't get too deep. It was just a shot at the poster.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Ha, Meyers...I'm going to go *way* too deep...

Personally, I believe in supporting opinions with specific arguments. This is what I believe and this is why I believe it. I find stats useful in making those arguments. In many cases, the anti-stat people do not present counter-arguments. In the case of our Gamecock friend, they sometimes present no argument at all. She is "great" because I have watched her play and believe she is "great".

It comes down (as message board arguments often do) to semiotics - what does it mean to be "great"? I like to use stats to build a sort of syllogism e.g.

1. I believe "great" guards shoot at least 40 FG% and 30 3FG% (if they shoot more than 50 3s per season) and have at least a 1.0+ a/to ratio
2. Diamond does not meet those statistical benchmarks
3. Diamond is not a "great" guard.

That premise is easy to attack but at least there's some logic not just a tautology - "I know she is great because I have seen her greatness"

I'm probably getting my philosophy and logic all muddled but that's where I come down.

Reaction Score
My heavens GIVE IT A REST PEOPLE... they will win gold just like they were suppose to. It's the committee & Geno & coaching staffs job to come home with a Gold. Not give a crap about anyone's feelings. This is the Olympics not a 5 year old birthday party, sorry you didn't get invited. Geno and most of the the current UConn players likely won't be on the Olympic team next go around and you can clone Parker and she can play all 5 positions.

Back to the subject at hand... Diamond is back... great for her, great for Tennessee, now lets see what Holly can do with a healthy Diamond.

That is silly. The U.S. has dominated the medal count in the Rio Olympics as they usually do in certain sports. Should we discount the athletes themselves and the best available in lieu of the ultimate Gold count? You have to respect the game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've held the envelope up to my temple...........the answer: The WNBA. Now, after tearing open the envelope, blowing into it, and removing the contents, I'll read the question..............."Where will Diamond DeShields be playing AFTER this coming season?

Reasoning: With an ego such as hers, coupled with the fact that she will be eligible to enter the WNBA draft in April 2017, What makes you think she's going to stay for another year (as we all know, she's a red shirt junior, and like Morgan Tuck, will be eligible to leave) in Rocky Top, if she has other options, whether or not she (and or her team) has a good year? If they have a good year, she has nothing left to prove, she moves on. If they don't, it's a lost cause, nothing else she can do, time to explore new horizons. Either way, she's gone. This is her last year at Tennessee folks!!! I'll stake my turban, cape and reputation on this prediction (this was an easy one). ;)

I've been watching DD since she was a freshman. I commented (at that time) that there were 3 freshmen that I was impressed with. Tyler Scaife (Rutgers), Nina Davis (Baylor) and Diamond DeShields (North Carolina).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2017 is largely expected to be a weak WNBA draft class. Scaife-Rutgers, McCall-Stanford, Jessica Jackson-Arkansas, & Coates-South Carolina, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough-MD are some of the names in contention for the top spots. IMO diamond would be doing herself a favor because she would stand taller in this draft than competing with Turner and Wilson a year later.
If DD goes this year she might end up in Seattle, playing with Sue, Stewie, and Jewell might be the best thing that ever happened to her.

Reaction Score
Diamond has the skills to be a first team AA, I look forward to UT returning to elite basketball. I believe this year is their last chance to either break through or bust. UT is the only team in the last 20 years to come even close to UCONN 's level for a sustained period.

Reaction Score
Thankfully the law isn't based on your loose assumption of the truth. At some point we must all agree on some objective truth or else we couldn't post replies.
Ha if the law could actually define all truth --then we'd know what is means. What is the meaning of "objective" ??

Reaction Score
i don't see any issue with her being excited and setting the highest goals possible. i rem stewie saying she wanted to win 4 titles and she did. now, they have different attitudes and personalities but diamond seems to get a lot of grief on here. to my knowledge, she has never said anything bad about UCONN. in fact, she has always admired your coach and success. she's a kid and from a VERY successful family of athletes. i think it comes from that. :)

Reaction Score
I've held the envelope up to my temple......the answer: The WNBA. Now, after tearing open the envelope, blowing into it, and removing the contents, I'll read the question....."Where will Diamond DeShields be playing AFTER this coming season?

Reasoning: With an ego such as hers, coupled with the fact that she will be eligible to enter the WNBA draft in April 2017, What makes you think she's going to stay for another year (as we all know, she's a red shirt junior, and like Morgan Tuck, will be eligible to leave) in Rocky Top, if she has other options, whether or not she (and or her team) has a good year? If they have a good year, she has nothing left to prove, she moves on. If they don't, it's a lost cause, nothing else she can do, time to explore new horizons. Either way, she's gone. This is her last year at Tennessee folks!!! I'll stake my turban, cape and reputation on this prediction (this was an easy one). ;)

I've been watching DD since she was a freshman. I commented (at that time) that there were 3 freshmen that I was impressed with. Tyler Scaife (Rutgers), Nina Davis (Baylor) and Diamond DeShields (North Carolina).

A tip of the hat to the turban!! If DD went into the draft right now--or that she remains constant until April--what does the envelope hold for her (i.e number ) in april??? Her potential has been high--but it is mostly potential for her. I've seen moments within games where I said now thats the real DD! but who or what is the real DD??

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A few more thoughts:

I agree with Carnac--I'm confident Diamond will be in the W next season.

I didn't like the quote, because she focused on personal goals. I think those are great, but they should come AFTER the team goals, which are notably missing from the quote.

Diamond has outstanding athleticism. That's different from basketball skills and abilities. It's certainly different from decision making. I'd rate her great on athleticism, good to very good on skills and abilities, and average to poor on decision making.

I hope Diamond gets strong coaching over the next handful of years, so she can reach her potential. I believe she was on the pre-season AA list last year and none of the post-season lists, maybe not even at the honorable mention level. Don't let her cheat her talent.

Reaction Score
unfortunately i tend to think she will leave after this year too. i hope i am wrong. two more years with russell and nared would be our best bet at a FF.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ha if the law could actually define all truth --then we'd know what is means. What is the meaning of "objective" ??
Interesting that we can parse meanings while objectively understanding each other. Again, without it we we'd never be able to post or reply.

Reaction Score
This young lady has pieces needed to succeed in wcbb, but what you see is smoke and mirrors, because she is not. At one 6 game stretch last year she had 12 assists and over 30 turnovers. She does not read the floor well. She took almost 2x as many 3 point shots as anyone else on her team yet she shoots under 30% from behind the arc (her stats are similar to when she was at NC). She is a better athlete then almost everyone else, but as a basketball player she has a long way to go. She is a very average basketball player in a very athletic body. If you looked at her stats and not her name you'd say she is not great, but a good player due mostly to her athletic ability not her bball IQ.

Carnac

Reaction Score
A few more thoughts:

I agree with Carnac--I'm confident Diamond will be in the W next season.

I didn't like the quote, because she focused on personal goals. I think those are great, but they should come AFTER the team goals, which are notably missing from the quote.

Diamond has outstanding athleticism. That's different from basketball skills and abilities. It's certainly different from decision making. I'd rate her great on athleticism, good to very good on skills and abilities, and average to poor on decision making.

I hope Diamond gets strong coaching over the next handful of years, so she can reach her potential. I believe she was on the pre-season AA list last year and none of the post-season lists, maybe not even at the honorable mention level. Don't let her cheat her talent.

Like I said, Her EGO will not allow her to stay after this coming season. She still appears to be "me" oriented instead of "we" oriented. Hopefully, that's a condition she'll outgrow at some point in her life.
After this season, she'll have new trails to blaze, and new hills to cross. Let me be clear, I have nothing but love for DD. I hope as you do that Diamond gets the best coaching available. She has the "potential" to be one of the best in WCBB in the last 10-15 years.

Carnac

Reaction Score
What does the envelope hold for her (i.e number ) in april???
Somewhere between picks 5 and 9. Some coaches/GM's MAY (or may not) be concerned with her mental approach to the game at this point in her career.
I can't see her still being on the board by pick #10. As they say in football, "talent trumps character". We'll see in April, but I think I nailed this one. ;)

Ol' Carnac has been battling a bad case of food poisoning the last 3 days. Sunday night I was calling "Earl & Ralph", to no avail. Neither one of them answered. :confused: I feel much better today. I intend to read every post in this thread in the next couple of days. It looks like some very interesting reading.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i don't see any issue with her being excited and setting the highest goals possible. i rem stewie saying she wanted to win 4 titles and she did. now, they have different attitudes and personalities but diamond seems to get a lot of grief on here. to my knowledge, she has never said anything bad about UCONN. in fact, she has always admired your coach and success. she's a kid and from a VERY successful family of athletes. i think it comes from that. :)
You summed it up perfectly!

Breanna: 4 NC's = TEAM goal

Diamond: NPOY, defensive award, "I want them all." = INDIVIDUAL awards ONLY, with nary a mention of team or winning actual games...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom