OT- DeAndre Jordan charade | The Boneyard

OT- DeAndre Jordan charade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I always liked DeAndre but this is just wrong. Dude signed with the Mavs and just like that he reneges and signs with the Clippers. Feel badly for Dirk, Cuban is going to go nuts as he should.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
He never signed with them. He AGREED to sign them. Not illegal to do what Jordan just did. Not responsible, but certainly not illegal.

Personally, I found the whole thing hilarious. From the emoji tweet fight and Paul Pierce not knowing how to create one to the Clippers' playing hostage with at Jordan's house, this has been a fun day.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
So much for him not wanting to be the third option I guess. Poor character trait for sure

Reaction Score
Not illegal but it's incredibly poor form. His word means nothing now, he screws the Mavs and they now have zero options. He didn't even have the decency to return any calls from Cuban and Mavs players. That's just not how things should ever go down.

Reaction Score
Well no deals are official till tomorrow, its a good thing the Knicks decided to sign Robin Lopez instead of Deandre Jordan lol.

Reaction Score
I'm ready for my Mavs to tank! Time to get young with Dirk soon retiring

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Kudos to the Deadspin commenter who sums up what I now think everytime I see Cuban.

Radio. On. Internet.

Reaction Score
oh please...teams/owners do this all the time, but players can't?? DJ knew he belonged in LA but LA did a terrible job the first time in making him comfortable to stay. So he went out and tested the waters, but then realized he would best flourish in LA. The Twitter battles, and Woj and Blake and everything social media last night was absolutely awesome. Crazy times.

Reaction Score
He used the system. Does he now have another 8 days to play and seek another team?

This may become the new normal.

Reaction Score
oh please...teams/owners do this all the time, but players can't?? DJ knew he belonged in LA but LA did a terrible job the first time in making him comfortable to stay. So he went out and tested the waters, but then realized he would best flourish in LA. The Twitter battles, and Woj and Blake and everything social media last night was absolutely awesome. Crazy times.

He didn't test the waters.. he sat down and came to a firm agreement on a contract and committed himself to Dallas. Thus they stopped shopping around for other deals to fill that need (just like all teams do). At the 11th hour, he reneges and leaves them literally twisting in the wind with little/no options for their center position. Teams and owners actually DON'T do this all the time or else it would be pretty hard to sign anyone decent.

Reaction Score
He didn't test the waters.. he sat down and came to a firm agreement on a contract and committed himself to Dallas. Thus they stopped shopping around for other deals to fill that need (just like all teams do). At the 11th hour, he reneges and leaves them literally twisting in the wind with little/no options for their center position. Teams and owners actually DON'T do this all the time or else it would be pretty hard to sign anyone decent.

Why don't they give Emeka a tryout, its worth a shot.

Reaction Score
How do you know what kind of agreement they had? I'd guess it was a term sheet and not a contract and per NBA rules Deandre wasn't even allowed to sign a term sheet . Lots of times term sheets don't result in contracts and in the end you sign a contract for a reason - its a MUCH bigger deal than verbal agreement.

Facts are DJordan had second thoughts, likely after he realized how bummed his Clippers teammates were and after he came to understand that he'd gone from a possible title contender to a possible playoff fodder for selfish (more shots, more plays) reasons. And he greatly increased his leverage and importance to the Clips once he did make it clear that he was more than willing to leave. And now ultimately he made a better basketball decision, a better money decision and in some terms a less selfish decision.

No doubt it is bad form to go back and your word and he should man-up and call the Mavs + possibly publicly explain his thought process. I really can't see people being pissed at him unless they are Mavs fans.

Reaction Score
How do you know what kind of agreement they had? I'd guess it was a term sheet and not a contract and per NBA rules Deandre wasn't even allowed to sign a term sheet . Lots of times term sheets don't result in contracts and in the end you sign a contract for a reason - its a MUCH bigger deal than verbal agreement.

Facts are DJordan had second thoughts, likely after he realized how bummed his Clippers teammates were and after he came to understand that he'd gone from a possible title contender to a possible playoff fodder for selfish (more shots, more plays) reasons. And he greatly increased his leverage and importance to the Clips once he did make it clear that he was more than willing to leave. And now ultimately he made a better basketball decision, a better money decision and in some terms a less selfish decision.

No doubt it is bad form to go back and your word and he should man-up and call the Mavs + possibly publicly explain his thought process. I really can't see people being pissed at him unless they are Mavs fans.

I don't think many people feel Dallas was going to be better than LAC with DeAndre. It was clear from the beginning of FA that there was bad blood and he was looking for a fresh start and to rake in the $$$. But once he realized that he was a wanted commodity, he jumped on the opportunity just like a freshman in HS does when he gets invited to a senior's party. It's an extremely selfish move and has lost him a ton of credibility as a person...but he's getting 66M and playing for a title contender, not a bad trade off for a 26 yr old.

What I'm most excited for is the drunken lash-out by Cuban. It's gonna be great.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Well that's the dumbest thing I'll read all day. If Dallas is really in as bad a shape as he says, then signing DeAndre Jordan would not have made that big a difference.
Just typical hyperbole for the moment. Have the most extreme take to get the most page views. Bottom line is Dallas was middle of the pack even with Deandre although it put them on a possible upward trajectory. Feel bad for Dirk, but he's got his championship. Likewise Clippers are still a notch below SA & GSt.

Weird in this how Doc the GM makes mistakes, but Doc the coach usually makes the best of it. The GM version screwed up by not wooing Jordan properly and signing Lance, PP + dumping Hawes first. But then the coach rallied his troops and owner and won him back.

Can't wait to see how the GM, coach, father and husband navigate Austin Rivers free agency. Cuban may sign Austin to an over-market deal and then just cut him out of spite.

Reaction Score
Jordan is a jerk for the way he did it, at least communicate with the team you agreed to sign with...

He acted like a teenage boy who doesn't like the girl he's dating... "I'll just stop talking to her and start dating Emily, she'll figure it out soon enough"

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Didn't Carlos Boozer do something similar to Cleveland?

Reaction Score
We are talking a million dollar contract not a $60,000 deal. It could have been handled better by Deandre (and Cuban for that matter). It certainly will become useful in all negotiations going forward with other players and teams.

The question is will the owners back Cuban going forward when Deandre's name comes up again? All I know is that it takes balls or insanity to burn bridges with billionaires.

Reaction Score
We are talking a million dollar contract not a $60,000 deal. It could have been handled better by Deandre (and Cuban for that matter). It certainly will become useful in all negotiations going forward with other players and teams.

The question is will the owners back Cuban going forward when Deandre's name comes up again? All I know is that it takes balls or insanity to burn bridges with billionaires.
Well that goes both ways. If he signed with Dallas he Burned bridges with Ballmer. I actually like Cuban though(not really the mavs) but Ballmer basically ran Microsoft into the Ground and made a Billion off of it...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what to make of it. I generally side with the players as the owners generally don't give 2 $hits about them. It's all about the $$ for the owners, and they have a product to sell so rightfully so.

I can't make excuses for the way Jordan behaved, but isn't that similar to most normal humans who find themselves in the situation where they look for a new job, get a great offer, go back their current employer with a letter of resignation, only to be offered even more to stay? How is this any different, except it played out in the public eye for everyone to masticate over...

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Kosongo style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads