OT: Connecticut golf courses | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut golf courses

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
What's some of the best around the state?? Has anybody played Wintonbury hills in Bloomfield gonna play that tomorrow?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Never played it, but Richter Park in Danbury is supposed to be a top 25 public course.

Reaction Score
I love Lake of Isles but it's hard to justify the green fees

Reaction Score
Wintonbury is one of the best public tracks around Hartford. Good luck trying to read the greens!

Reaction Score
Wintonbury definitely nice. Always good conditions with fast greens. Front nine fairly easy and open, back gets more difficult. Overall very good play. My favorite publics in CT:

Oxford Greens - nicest if you consider value
Richter Park - Just a great track
Lake of Isles - excellent except a few holes and pricey
Great River - price again ridiculous

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What's your criteria? I've played most of them.

The only thing I care about is pace of play. I'd rather play Keney Park or Tradition of Windsor in 3 hours over Glastonbury CC or Manchester CC in 5.

Reaction Score
I think Oxford is a great track as well and they have lowered their prices this year. If looking up in Mass, Crumpin Fox is an absolute treasure.

Reaction Score

The only thing I care about is pace of play. I'd rather play Keney Park or Tradition of Windsor in 3 hours over Glastonbury CC or Manchester CC in 5.
Does the clubhouse at Keney still have a slate roof?

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score

I'm not picky dont really care about time don't mind just playing slow drinking some beers they closed tradition for at lest this year

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Does the clubhouse at Keney still have a slate roof?

I had a friend's wife die and I held a fundraiser for their kids at Keney because I could get the course for $25 a head... Brought in some guys we work with who are members at big clubs in Jersey and Westchester - their interaction with the Keney staff was highly enjoyable.

Keney is in terrible shape but a great layout - setup by same person who did Bethpage.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not picky dont really care about time don't mind just playing slow drinking some beers they closed tradition for at lest this year

If you don't care how long your round takes Manchester CC would be my choice for public courses in Greater Hartford. It's got a good mix of shots and is pretty fair.

My problem is I bounce between the greens at Banner Lodge and Glastonbury or Indian Hill and it's impossible to have a short game or putt consistently.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Speaking of that...

My cousins and I are planning on going out a lot this summer. We all suck. The only thing I really care about is a place that is semi-cheap and doesn't really care if we bring beer. Any good suggestions? We're going to Laurel View this Sunday, we'll see how that one goes.

Reaction Score
If you don't care how long your round takes Manchester CC would be my choice for public courses in Greater Hartford. It's got a good mix of shots and is pretty fair.

My problem is I bounce between the greens at Banner Lodge and Glastonbury or Indian Hill and it's impossible to have a short game or putt consistently.

The Indian Hill greens are as good as you will find in Connecticut.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Speaking of that...

My cousins and I are planning on going out a lot this summer. We all suck. The only thing I really care about is a place that is semi-cheap and doesn't really care if we bring beer. Any good suggestions? We're going to Laurel View this Sunday, we'll see how that one goes.
If your around the Hartford area I would suggest rolling meadow in Ellington, Cedar Knob in somers or Gillette ridge in Bloomfield. Oak Ridge in Agawam mass is pretty decent too. All for about 40-45 a round including the cart

Reaction Score
Gillette is in rough shape.

I joined Manchester this year. Great group of guys who play there and the two young guys who run the shop do a great job.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Gillette is in rough shape.

I joined Manchester this year. Great group of guys who play there and the two young guys who run the shop do a great job.
Thanks for the heads up was gonna play there this weekend

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If your around the Hartford area I would suggest rolling meadow in Ellington, Cedar Knob in somers or Gillette ridge in Bloomfield. Oak Ridge in Agawam mass is pretty decent too. All for about 40-45 a round including the cart

Thanks, will keep them in mind when we want to take a drive. I'm in the New Haven area for any future suggestions. :)

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Thanks, will keep them in mind when we want to take a drive. I'm in the New Haven area for any future suggestions. :)
Yeah your guess is as good as mine for courses down there

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I like Connecticut Golf Land, in Vernon.

Pretty sure it's a public course and they have bumper boats, too.

That's where I learned to play. At night of course. After dropping a bunch of quarters in the game room.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hesitate to mention it, but Pine Valley in Southington is a really nice course that gets inexplicably little play, so almost seems like you own it. Not that expensive, usually well maintained and interesting. No two holes alike and the middle of the back 9 requires pretty accurate drives. Laurel View in Hamden is akso interesting. Last year it was in rough shape compared to past years. I grew up on Keney but haven't played there in a very long time.

Reaction Score
HUGE fan of Foxhopyard! One of the few courses that has a driving range that is grass aside from private CC's. I hate warming up on mats... Anyway, you can't beat a post round martini on the outside porch of the clubhouse overlooking 18 in an adirondack chair. My only complaint is that the greens have slipped a bit over the years. Front 9 has a lot of hills and rocks so take a cart, don't b a hero.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom