OT: Cloud | The Boneyard

OT: Cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Does any have first hand knowledge of "The Cloud"? I keep hearing about it, but an not sure how it works. My iPhone is filled, and I understand this is a great alternative to buying a new phone with more memory.

Reaction Score
Does any have first hand knowledge of "The Cloud"? I keep hearing about it, but an not sure how it works. My iPhone is filled, and I understand this is a great alternative to buying a new phone with more memory.
It is iCloud operating system that comes with the new iphones and iPad2 but not sure how you can get for your phone. You can maybe get info online at the apple store.

Reaction Score
Tom,

I don't currently have anything stored in the cloud but I work for a large IT advisory firm, most if not all of my clients are using the cloud already. Through Apple it would be icloud. This will allow you to store information remotely and provide a level of scalability that will keep up with increasing storage needs.

Cloud is essentially a virtual server that allows you to store things remotely and access it through an internet browser like safari. Icloud offers 5 gb of storage initially with the ability to add 10, 20 or 50 gb of extra storage at $2 per gigabyte per year. I don't mean to sound like an apple pitchman but since you have an apple device already its probably your best starting point. Hope this helps.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Can videos be stored? I've downloaded shows and movies from Amazon and iTunes, and that's what has filled up my HD.

Tom,

I don't currently have anything stored in the cloud but I work for a large IT advisory firm, most if not all of my clients are using the cloud already. Through Apple it would be icloud. This will allow you to store information remotely and provide a level of scalability that will keep up with increasing storage needs.

Cloud is essentially a virtual server that allows you to store things remotely and access it through an internet browser like safari. Icloud offers 5 gb of storage initially with the ability to add 10, 20 or 50 gb of extra storage at $2 per gigabyte per year. I don't mean to sound like an apple pitchman but since you have an apple device already its probably your best starting point. Hope this helps.

Reaction Score
anything can be stored on a cloud, the cloud is making physical hard drive backups obsolete, the only real problem is if you lose your internet connection, you lose access to the cloud, but it will still be there when you log on.

Reaction Score
It's funny how certain buzzwords catch on and stick. The cloud is nothing more than a hosted server or SaaS. Half of the "to the could!" commercials you see don't even make sense from an IT perspective.

For most consumers it's fine choice but do realize that you are storing your private data on someone else's hardware. Last June Dropbox had an incident where you could type in any password to any account and access that user's files. Many hosted backup providers (Mozy, etc) are wretched if you ever need to actually recover your data. I'm not trying to scare anyone away but just letting people know that the "cloud" is not some magical, problem-free place.

Many cloud services do not have to be accessed through a web browser, just need internet connectivity.

Reaction Score
Can videos be stored? I've downloaded shows and movies from Amazon and iTunes, and that's what has filled up my HD.
It is iCloud operating system that comes with the new iphones and iPad2 but not sure how you can get for your phone. You can maybe get info online at the apple store.
Tom, if you upgrade your OS on your phone to 5.0 you'll get access (5GB I think).

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Tom, if you upgrade your OS on your phone to 5.0 you'll get access (5GB I think).

I've got to figure out how to upgrade the os on my iPad and iPhone.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's funny how certain buzzwords catch on and stick. The cloud is nothing more than a hosted server or SaaS. Half of the "to the could!" commercials you see don't even make sense from an IT perspective.

For most consumers it's fine choice but do realize that you are storing your private data on someone else's hardware. Last June Dropbox had an incident where you could type in any password to any account and access that user's files. Many hosted backup providers (Mozy, etc) are wretched if you ever need to actually recover your data. I'm not trying to scare anyone away but just letting people know that the "cloud" is not some magical, problem-free place.
One of my kids love the iCloud. He forgot the password on his iPod Touch and needed to reboot the thing. The Cloud let him reload his music, apps and books - which was awesome since he hasn't synched the thing in ages. BTW, it's an iPod Touch 3G, not sure how he got access if newer technology is needed to access the iCloud.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) You just need iOS 5 to have access to iCloud. You can run it on the last two generations of iPod Touch, both generations of iPads, iPhone 4s, 4 and 3Gs, and the second-gen Apple TV. If anyone can't figure out how to update to iOS 5, send me a note. (Expect some abuse - it's so easy.)

2) You can also access it via Mac if you're running Lion.

3) Even if you're syncing your iOS device to a PC, you can use the cloud storage if you have iTunes 10.5 with the iCloud Control Panel.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I use Amazon for cloud storage. You get 5 GB free. I put a bunch of music on there, they have an app with a music player, so I just stream songs off it on my DroidX. You also have the option of directly downloading whatever you have in your cloud to your handset from the app. You can put whatever you want in there, music, photos, video, etc.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I use Amazon for cloud storage. You get 5 GB free. I put a bunch of music on there, they have an app with a music player, so I just stream songs off it on my DroidX. You also have the option of directly downloading whatever you have in your cloud to your handset from the app. You can put whatever you want in there, music, photos, video, etc.

iCloud offers 5gb and integrates on a much more extensive level - Amazon is just cloud storage.

Handy tips for iOS...if you buy your music on Amazon or wherever and you use iTunes match, iTunes will automatically import the track into Match, upload it and store it in the cloud as well for any of your Apple devices.

e.g. Buy a track from Amazon on your desktop, download it...your iPhone or iPad will have access to it in seconds.

zls44

Reaction Score
Seeing as how I own no Apple products, that was not an issue for me.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
But Tom does.

He's a grownup.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ahhhh.....sure. There ain't a blessed piece of consumer electronics out there that is designed to be user serviced - certainly not by hammerheads like you, anyway.

It was actually easier changing the digitizer in an iPhone than it was in a Motorola Atrix. iPhone was put together by helpful elves who actually numbered all the parts in sequence and the Atrix was put together by angry, drunken monkeys. (Related note...don't drop an iPhone in the washing machine and don't expect a Motorola phone to last a year.)

zls44

Reaction Score
Ahhhh.....sure. There ain't a blessed piece of consumer electronics out there that is designed to be user serviced - certainly not by hammerheads like you, anyway.

It was actually easier changing the digitizer in an iPhone than it was in a Motorola Atrix. iPhone was put together by helpful elves who actually numbered all the parts in sequence and the Atrix was put together by angry, drunken monkeys. (Related note...don't drop an iPhone in the washing machine and don't expect a Motorola phone to last a year.)

Maybe you wouldn't need to do stupid crap like changing digitizers if you didn't bring 19 pieces of electronics to document every Ironman Triathlon through the Himilayas. Leave some at home.

Apple makes lemming crap for lemmings, the end.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have lost more than one phone that way.

Friend of mine had his smart phone in a pack during a trail race last year when he happened to fall very hard. He landed on his phone so hard that the bruise it left had a home button.

Reaction Score
Apple makes lemming crap for lemmings, the end.

how hipster of you. perhaps some of us just appreciate quality product design. to each his own i guess.

side note: sorry for poking fun, but i'm not sure which is funnier. old people talking about "the cloud" or listening to dubstep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom