OT: Cape / Harwich area restaurants | The Boneyard

OT: Cape / Harwich area restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Going to Cape in few weeks to Harwich area. Any recommendations on good restaurants. Family trip with 6 people , all kids are in early 20's. Any help would be appreciated

Reaction Score
Land Ho, Hot Stove, George's for pizza, Sundae School & DQ for ice cream. PM me for more info about that area...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Going to Cape in few weeks to Harwich area. Any recommendations on good restaurants. Family trip with 6 people , all kids are in early 20's. Any help would be appreciated

Improper Bostonian for Happy Hour! I believe Jim Plunkett is still doing them!

Reaction Score
The Port has $1 oysters at happy hour on Tuesdays, Brax's too, Country Store has good sandwich's in Chatham and the Squire is good too

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

My inlaws live just down 137 in Brewster.

For family restaurants...

Rock Harbor Grill in Orleans. Side benefit - it's right across the street from a terrific ice cream and coffee shop called the Hot Chocolate Sparrow.

Jail House Tavern, also in Orleans. It's a pub-style place.

The Yardarm and Land Ho, in Orleans. These are kind of local joints and both are a little small, but still kinda fun.

400 East, in Harwich. Basically, another pub.

If you want a fun New England-style fried seafood and ice cream/mini-golf place, go up to Arnold's in Wellfleet.

If you want to ditch the family or try better restaurants, my list would be different, but these are good family places.

Reaction Score

Rock Harbor Grill in Orleans. Side benefit - it's right across the street from a terrific ice cream and coffee shop called the Hot Chocolate Sparrow.

The Yardarm and Land Ho, in Orleans. These are kind of local joints and both are a little small, but still kinda fun.

If you want a fun New England-style fried seafood and ice cream/mini-golf place, go up to Arnold's in Wellfleet.

If you want to ditch the family or try better restaurants, my list would be different, but these are good family places.
400 East has been closed for several years...that is where Land-Ho is

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
400 East has been closed for several years...that is where Land-Ho is

No - 400 East is in the Harwich East Plaza at the intersection of 137 and 39.

It's been there for a long time.

Land-Ho! is in Harwich Port and Orleans - we tend to go to the one in Orleans, but the one on 28 in Harwich Port is also terrific.

(They also have a Land-Ho! in Costa Rica now.)

Reaction Score
No - 400 East is in the Harwich East Plaza at the intersection of 137 and 39.

It's been there for a long time.

Land-Ho! is in Harwich Port and Orleans - we tend to go to the one in Orleans, but the one on 28 in Harwich Port is also terrific.

(They also have a Land-Ho! in Costa Rica now.)
Ahhh ok...the place on 28 in Harwich Port where Land-Ho! is used to be a 400 East..didn't last too long.

Reaction Score

Most of my extended family would second Arnold's. I'm the exception.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Sundae School on lower county road in Dennisport. Those sundaes are delicious.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Ocean House in Dennisport, Arnold's in Wellfleet, Lobster Pot in P-town.

Does anyone remember Thompson's Clam Bar in Harwichport from the 1970's? It was on the water. The best atmosphere.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Sundae School on lower county road in Dennisport. Those sundaes are delicious.

We've rented a house on the beach for 20+ years and have walked to Sundae School many times. It's always packed in the evenings.

Reaction Score
Brax Landing overlooking Harwich Harbor has a great Sunday brunch. Chatham Squire for lunch and drinks. Pate's Steakhouse in Chatham is an old fashioned steakhouse. A shameless plug for the Ebb Tide Restaurant in Dennisport where my youngest daughter works as a waitress Monday thru Friday. They have a great early bird menu and a nice little gift shop. Don't forget to ask to Lizzie.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Does anyone remember Thompson's Clam Bar in Harwichport from the 1970's? It was on the water. The best atmosphere.[/QUOTE]

First 7 or 8 times I went to Thompson's Clam Bar was by boat. After sailing we would go in for drinks and supper. After I was married was on the Cape with my wife and she suggested we go there. She was very confused when I had to ask for directions on how to get there.

I am not sure why they went out of business. I suppose that the real estate became to valuable to be just a restaurant.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember Thompson's Clam Bar in Harwichport from the 1970's? It was on the water. The best atmosphere.

Was @ Thompson's Clam Bar probably mid-70's w/ a large family group when one of the summer waitresses got in a public beef with management, ripped off her apron, tossed it in the Managers face and dove off the dock and swam away to a rousing ovation and applause from the tables on the dock side. I'll never forget the look on the Manager's face.

Reaction Score

We often go to the Cape in October, and we always end up having a dinner at the Jail House Tavern. We often follow that up with a visit to the Hot Chocolate Sparrow for dessert and other treats.

Reaction Score
Arnold's is in Eastham. Thompson's was a very busy place. I think it was bought out so a private club could be created. Saw bluefish drive a bunker school up the channel to the harbor one afternoon which was quite a show for the patrons. I worked there and went back to find it in the late 90's and it was gone. Wound up at Brax with the family and it was fine.

Reaction Score
Ocean House in Dennisport, Arnold's in Wellfleet, Lobster Pot in P-town.

Thompson's Clam Bar was a Cape standard for many years, like long-gone Mildred's by the airport in Hyannis and the still-standing Riverway in Bass River. Still remember Thompson's radio jingle, it seemed like it was always on. I think the property is now the Wychmere Club or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom