OT but timely, What is the best hot dog? | The Boneyard

OT but timely, What is the best hot dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I was introduced to Deutschmacher hot dogs here at work when we have our customer bbq's during the summer. I have to admit they are REALLY good. From what I can see their distribution is limited pretty much to the Northeast. I found them at LaBonne's Markets in Watertown and at Stop & Shop. It originally was a small independent but I understand now they are part of Kayem. Pretty yummy doggies!

What's your favorite?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't eat too many hotdogs. Best I've had though is the Hebrew Nationals. However if I'm having a cookout I'm making Brats, not dogs.

Reaction Score
Last year or so, Kayem all beef natural casing grilled with NE buns toasted. Takes me back to the old days of drive in car hop grillers in Fairfield County

Reaction Score
I am partial to Sabrett hot dogs; Very tasty either grilled or boiled.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As a native of Western PA, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Smith's hot dogs. Concession stands at fairs or games in Erie always make sure to mention specifically that they are serving Smith's. I prefer natural casing.

Here in Chicago, the local fare would be Vienna Beef, but I find them to be disappointingly average.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
As a native of Western PA, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Smith's hot dogs. Concession stands at fairs or games in Erie always make sure to mention specifically that they are serving Smith's. I prefer natural casing.

Here in Chicago, the local fare would be Vienna Beef, but I find them to be disappointingly average.
Blackies. LINK

Reaction Score
Best hot dog or biggest hot dog?

upload_2015-6-30_10-37-25.png

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't eat them - rarely a regular hot dog - but the big thing out here is Sonoran Dogs. They were featured on the "Great Food Truck Race" when it came through, and made an appearance in Alton Brown's live show that we attended here in Tucson.

I think its all about the condiments, which include bacon wrapping, but we have Sonoran Dog food trucks as well as some restaurants.

Reaction Score
Since I moved to AZ I have come to appreciate Sonoran Dogs - more of a Tucson thing...

upload_2015-6-30_11-44-38.png

Reaction Score
In Phoenix we have the "Big Unit" - named after Randy Johnson - at Cooperstown, Alice Cooper's sports bar near the downtown stadium and arena...

upload_2015-6-30_11-47-41.png

Reaction Score
Not to be outdone, the diamondbacks introduced the $25 "D-Bat Dog", an 18" corn dog stuffed with bacon and cheese...

upload_2015-6-30_11-51-17.png

Reaction Score
Don't eat too many hotdogs. Best I've had though is the Hebrew Nationals. However if I'm having a cookout I'm making Brats, not dogs.
Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of good example---Mark Twain

Reaction Score
I was introduced to Deutschmacher hot dogs here at work when we have our customer bbq's during the summer. I have to admit they are REALLY good. From what I can see their distribution is limited pretty much to the Northeast. I found them at LaBonne's Markets in Watertown and at Stop & Shop. It originally was a small independent but I understand now they are part of Kayem. Pretty yummy doggies!

What's your favorite?
Whats the one on Watertown Ave, as you leave Waterbury---their foot long has been a favorite of millions for decades...
Or Netties between Pequabuck and Bristol. or the pushcart in Terryville, with sauerkraut and mustard--superb.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Martin Rosol's natural casing dogs.

Yes!

And locally, Doogie's in Newington has a 2-foot hot dog. It's delicious and you don't have to eat for another 24 hours :p

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Saugys once or twice a year. Whenever I need a cholesterol boost I prefer hot Italian sausage and peppers on the grill.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Whats the one on Watertown Ave, as you leave Waterbury---their foot long has been a favorite of millions for decades...
Or Netties between Pequabuck and Bristol. or the pushcart in Terryville, with sauerkraut and mustard--superb.

Jimmy's Hot Dogs - pretty good.

For the Choke(r) Blackies used to hype Hummels as their hot dog but someone told me they got into a tiff with Hummels because a hot dog place just over the border in Cheshire started selling them so they switched. I don't know to who tho.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
"Yankee Stadium in October, they've been boiling since opening day".....Roy Schieder in the movie 2010: The Year We Make Contact

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
1) I havent bought hot dogs to cook at home in years ( though ive eaten countless ones from restaurants) ... but when I did.. my favorite kind to buy was Hebrew National...... I also liked Nathans.. and tried the Sabrat (sp) a few times.

2) this thread is making me really hungry for some hot dogs.... might buy a packet of Hebrew Nationals for the weekend.

Reaction Score
Anybody know Capitol Lunch in New Britain? Eat your chili dog standing up at the stainless steel counter against the wall. Had to be the inspiration for a Belushi SNL skit where the diner served chili in a trough, customers just stuck their heads in the trough til they had their fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom