OT: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize in Literature | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize in Literature

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Depending on the money spent it would be understandable.

Springsteen ruined it for everybody. :)

Meh, a 90 minute set from a 75 year old man is more than acceptable.

Neil young played 10 minutes less the stones 4 min more if you want to get all stop watchy about it

We aren't talking about a 25 minute show here.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that, worldwide, there must be a great many novelists who are honked off
that "their" prize was awarded to a pop entertainer (no matter that he may have been
perceived by many to be more than a pop entertainer).

Reaction Score
I stand corrected (Thanks for that list link). Just seems like (in the last 20 or so years) there were a significant number of obscure winners.
After posting, I remembered seeing Dylan with Joan Baez at the old New Haven Arena (I went for Baez) . Can't recall if it was an entirely different concert but, I did see him do an acoustic set, then, introduce his electric (Oh the humanity) set.

Reaction Score
Yeah seeing Churchill on the list was a surprise to me.

BTW we went to the UK this summer and visited both Chartwell and the Churchill War Rooms/Churchill Museum. Pretty incredible, especially the War Rooms.
me, too, 2 years ago. felt the same.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Congrats to Zimmy, but it's probably the worst thing that could have happened to him. Prepare for a couple weeks worth of articles detailing the plagiarism claims against him.

I'd never actually heard that nickname. Googled it. Second result is Urban Dictionary - Zimmy:

When you see a hot girl, you call out 'zimmy', so that you can share the love around to your mates in code to help them get stiffies.

Reaction Score
I'd never actually heard that nickname. Googled it. Second result is Urban Dictionary - Zimmy:

When you see a hot girl, you call out 'zimmy', so that you can share the love around to your mates in code to help them get stiffies.
He calls himself Zimmy in "Gotta Serve Somebody"

So much more stuff coming out: 3 celebratory articles in the NY Times; David Remnick on-line at the New Yorker.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I was introduced to it when he used it himself in "Gotta Serve Somebody"

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He calls himself Zimmy in "Gotta Serve Somebody"

So much more stuff coming out: 3 celebratory articles in the NY Times; David Remnick on-line at the New Yorker.
Funny, I was searching for a video link to post of the song, and the only one I can find is his live performance from the 1980 Grammy Awards, which, although great, omits that line (actually that whole section). His label appears to be very aggressive keeping his studio versions of most of his material off of youtube.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't know much about Dylan other than he is a good song writer and musician, but has an awful singing voice. Most of the remakes to his songs are vastly superior to his own versions.

My sole purpose in this thread is to ask @8893 if his avatar is his handiwork and where can I get the stencil? I found one on-line, but it doesn't show a clear method of doing the outline of the husky head.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't know much about Dylan other than he is a good song writer, and musician, but has an awful singing voice.

My sole purpose in this thread is to ask @8893 if his avatar is his handiwork and where can I get the stencil? I found one on-line, but it doesn't show a clear method of doing the outline of the husky head.
Came to me via UConn alumni email just today; it is not my handiwork, I just copied the image that was in the photo (but I did immediately forward the stencil to my wife and kids hoping that one of us does a jack-o-lantern of it):

http://uconnalumni.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/1551/2016/10/pdf-husky-carve-simple.pdf

There is also this more advanced one:

gen-huskylantern-evfennick-400x286.jpg

http://uconnalumni.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/1551/2016/10/pdf-husky-carve-adv.pdf

Husky25

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't know much about Dylan other than he is a good song writer and musician, but has an awful singing voice. Most of the remakes to his songs are vastly superior to his own versions.
Dylan had a famously beautiful singing voice as a kid (attracted attention throughout his hometown), but then affected a bluesy-folksy twang. Listen to "Lay Lady Lay" to hear a shockingly different voice (more of the Memphis sound). Until recently, when his voice predictably suffered from old age and overuse, he could pretty much sing any way he wanted. But it's the "non-beautiful" voice that helps him intentionally be edgy. Just like when Emily Dickinson (to whom he's sometimes compared) breaks down the normal syntax of poetry.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Dylan had a famously beautiful singing voice as a kid (attracted attention throughout his hometown), but then affected a bluesy-folksy twang. Listen to "Lay Lady Lay" to hear a shockingly different voice (more of the Memphis sound). Until recently, when his voice predictably suffered from old age and overuse, he could pretty much sing any way he wanted. But it's the "non-beautiful" voice that helps him intentionally be edgy. Just like when Emily Dickinson (to whom he's sometimes compared) breaks down the normal syntax of poetry.
IIRC he stopped smoking when recording Nashville Skyline, which was also thought to have a mellowing effect on his voice. What a great album in any event. "To Be Alone With You" is a favorite, along with "Country Pie." Also the crooners, "Tell Me That It Isn't True" and "I Threw It All Away."

Husky25

Reaction Score
The harder one looks like the avatar.

I may try combining the two. Cut out the facial features then scrap the outline.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Came to me via UConn alumni email just today; it is not my handiwork, I just copied the image that was in the photo

Yah, that avatar is sweet. I won't be changing mine, unless KO decides to leave, but that one is aces.

I even like that it's off-center. I wouldn't 'fix' that.

Reaction Score
Big fan of early Dylan - later Dylan not so much. Recently gave away all my Dylan "stuff" to a friend whose children are obsessed with him. If I need my Dylan "fix" there is always UTube. My favorite line of his comes from " All along the watchtower" ( you can find your own meaning to many of his lyrics - this one to me is very powerful ) TWO RIDERS WERE APPROACHING AND THE WIND BEGAN TO HOWL

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I was thrilled to see Bob Dylan be honored as a Nobel Laureate. The tributes are now flowing, supplementing his Pulitzer Prize, Kennedy Center Honors and Presidential Medal of Freedom.

And his award got me to thinking.

Dylan was honored as a poet/lyricist. The names of three poets worthy of consideration leaped to mind: Walt Whitman, Emily Dickenson, and Carl Sandburg.

There is also America's iconic lyricist, Oscar Hammerstein. Consider the enriching and often inspirational verses that flowed from his fertile imagination: "Showboat," "Oklahoma," "Carousel," "South Pacific," nd "Sound of Music."

My thoughts drifted to the trifecta of 20th century talent from Ireland. Arguably the greatest poet (William Butler Yeats), greatest playwright (George Bernard Shaw), and greatest novelist (James Joyce). [Be reminded, I said arguably, so have at it.];)

Reaction Score
Could be worth a Nobel by itself:

I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment
I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
You’d know what a drag it is
To see you

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Nobel Laureate rocked last night. He was more energetic than the prior week and played about 10 minutes longer. Then the Stones played until just before the midnight curfew and fireworks. They were really, really, really good.

Reaction Score
This is somewhat skewed because some of these awards go only to an American or someone in the English speaking world, but:

Bob Dylan is the only person ever to win: a Nobel, an Academy Award, a Pulitzer, and a Grammy (throw in the Kennedy Center if you want, but that's outrageously manipulated and political).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh my name it is nothin’
My age it means less
The country I come from
Is called the Midwest
I’s taught and brought up there
The laws to abide
And that the land that I live in
Has God on its side

Oh the history books tell it
They tell it so well