OT: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize in Literature | The Boneyard

OT: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize in Literature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Congrats to Zimmy, but it's probably the worst thing that could have happened to him. Prepare for a couple weeks worth of articles detailing the plagiarism claims against him.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Zimmy, but it's probably the worst thing that could have happened to him. Prepare for a couple weeks worth of articles detailing the plagiarism claims against him.

I get the feeling that in this stage of his life he really doesn't care.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
America's incomparable troubadour. This thread will surely trigger a reprise of stirring lyrics. Let me start:

"Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call.
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall. . .

'Cuz the times they are a-changin'"

and:
"The answer is blowing in the wind."

or, perhaps most suitable for Dylan:

"May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung
May you stay
Forever young."

Reaction Score
For us Dylanheads, this is such beautiful confirmation. I'm teaching a course on Dylan (and Emerson) next semester. Ya think it'll get a good enrollment (it oversubscribes anyway, but still....)

Impossible to pick favs, since (1) I'm like a parent asked to name my favorite child; and (2) Dylan himself believed in spontaneity, constantly changing lyrics (especially in re-narrating his break-up with wife Sara). Tangled Up in Blue is not my personal favorite, but it is considered the "national anthem" of Dylanheads.

And when finally the bottom fell out
I became withdrawn
The only thing I knew how to do
Was to keep on keepin’ on like a bird that flew
Tangled up in blue

Reaction Score
This has been much discussed in academic articles and books, and his recent "borrowings" do make academics uncomfortable because they seem to depart significantly from his earlier use of themes (lyrical and musical) which were very much in the Blues tradition of paying homage and recycling the past. Probably best is Sean Wilentz, Dylan in America, 305-319.

I'm quite sure Dylan could care less. He sees himself (like Emerson) as channeling some inner light. If it's someone else's words that find there way into his songs, it's because he has charged them with his personal meaning and context.

Reaction Score
In the time of my confession, in the hour of my deepest need
When the pool of tears beneath my feet floods every newborn seed
There's a dying voice within me reaching out somewhere
Toiling in the danger and the morals of despair

Don't have the inclination to look back on any mistake
Like Cain, I now behold this chain of events that I must break
In the fury of the moment I can see the Master's hand
In every leaf that trembles, in every grain of sand

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong: I'm as big a fan as there is. I own literally everything, with the exception of the last two albums of covers. And I can find something to enjoy and appreciate on even his most reviled albums. I also agree that his song craft, to the extent that it involves "borrowing" liberally from other sources, has generally been in keeping with the folk and Blues traditions.

I kn0w he has a reputation of giving "zero farcks"--as Jeff Tweedy put it so perfectly--about being adored like, say, McCartney, but I do think he cares about his legacy. His will deservedly be among the greatest ever, but in the contrarian, cynical, click-bait world we have now, I expect a spate of articles rehashing the plagiarism claims because that will generate more traffic than another piece in praise of his singular talents.

As for favorite Dylan lyrics, mine could fill a book. Off the top of my head I would cite the "Every Grain of Sand" lyrics directly above, as well as:

"But to live outside the law, you must be honest."

"They say that patriotism is the last refuge
To which a scoundrel clings
Steal a little and they throw you in jail
Steal a lot and they make you king"

"Then she opened up a book of poems
And handed it to me
Written by an Italian poet
From the thirteenth century
And everyone of them words rang true
And glowed like burnin' coal
Pourin' off of every page
Like it was written in my soul
From me to you
Tangled up in blue"

Reaction Score
This is probably the FIRST literature prize winner ANYONE has ever heard or heard of.
I'm not his biggest fan (only bought a couple of his recordings) but, this is well deserved.
He changed the game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I didn't like how they showed him sitting next to Pat Summitt, file footage of them being honored at the White House I think! #channelthreenews #wfsb

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'll be seeing and hearing Bob at Desert Trip tomorrow night. He and the Stones are the Friday night performers.
Enjoy! Apparently his performance last Friday left some wanting, as he played his standard 80-minute set, didn't acknowledge the crowd once, and reportedly didn't let them show his image on the large screen except for during the first few songs, opting for old newsreels after that. Having seen him live more times than I can count, I'm not surprised and wouldn't have been too disappointed, but I understand the criticism from those expecting something else. When I see him these days I have to be very close, as a big part of the enjoyment for me is simply observing him. Like Miles, Van, Geno and Jim, he's someone who is so fascinating to me that I can still have a good time just watching him, even if it's not the performance of a lifetime.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Ah, you never turned around to see the frowns
On the jugglers and the clowns, when they all did tricks for you.
You never understood that it ain't no good
You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you.

Reaction Score
Enjoy! Apparently his performance last Friday left some wanting, as he played his standard 80-minute set, didn't acknowledge the crowd once, and reportedly didn't let them show his image on the large screen except for during the first few songs, opting for old newsreels after that. Having seen him live more times than I can count, I'm not surprised and wouldn't have been too disappointed, but I understand the criticism from those expecting something else. When I see him these days I have to be very close, as a big part of the enjoyment for me is simply observing him. Like Miles, Van, Geno and Jim, he's someone who is so fascinating to me that I can still have a good time just watching him, even if it's not the performance of a lifetime.
Same here. But I think this is how he's recently figured out how to do his never-ending tour at age 75: highly structured and controlled, conserving energy as much as he can.

Reaction Score
This is probably the FIRST literature prize winner ANYONE has ever heard or heard of.
I'm not his biggest fan (only bought a couple of his recordings) but, this is well deserved.
He changed the game.
You peaked my curiosity so I checked Wikipedia for a list of all recipients of the Noble Prize for Literature and I have actually heard of 11 of them. No one should be more surprised than me. And I have read something from each of them. Here is the Wikipedia list if anyone is interested.
List of Nobel laureates in Literature - Wikipedia

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You peaked my curiosity so I checked Wikipedia for a list of all recipients of the Noble Prize for Literature and I have actually heard of 11 of them. No one should be more surprised than me. And I have read something from each of them. Here is the Wikipedia list if anyone is interested.
I've heard of quite a few more than you - about 22 or so, but unlike you, I am ashamed to admit that I have actually read something by like 2 or 3 of them.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've heard of quite a few more than you - about 22 or so, but unlike you, I am ashamed to admit that I have actually read something by like 2 or 3 of them.
21 for me, including Dylan. And I've read something from each of them (and a lot from several of them).

BTW Tony it's "piqued" not "peaked." A pet peeve of mine (one of many, sorry...).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Enjoy! Apparently his performance last Friday left some wanting, as he played his standard 80-minute set.

Wrong. ( a pet peeve of mine, one of many , sorry) :)

His set was vastly different than the rest of 2016 and included a masters of war encore.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wrong. ( a pet peeve of mine, one of many , sorry) :)

His set was vastly different than the rest of 2016 and included a masters of war encore.
I meant the duration, champ.

And the people I know who went were totally underwhelmed with his set. They are not as much of Dylan nuts as I am, though, so I took it with a grain of salt.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Similar counts. I've heard of 23 of them and read something from maybe half of them (sadly).

Reaction Score
the list of literature laureates includes one of my very favorite stumpers. I ask: name the 2 historians who've won the Nobel Prize in literature. Any serious historian knows one is Theodor Mommsen, the greatest Roman historian ever (by a very large margin). But no one guesses Churchill. They obviously wanted to acknowledge his world-saving contributions in WW II, but couldn't very well give him the peace prize. So they gave him a prize for a work that is beautifully written, but, at best, not what we might call great history.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
the list of literature laureates includes one of my very favorite stumpers. I ask: name the 2 historians who've won the Nobel Prize in literature. Any serious historian knows one is Theodor Mommsen, the greatest Roman historian ever (by a very large margin). But no one guesses Churchill. They obviously wanted to acknowledge his world-saving contributions in WW II, but couldn't very well give him the peace prize. So they gave him a prize for a work that is beautifully written, but, at best, not what we might call great history.
Yeah seeing Churchill on the list was a surprise to me.

BTW we went to the UK this summer and visited both Chartwell and the Churchill War Rooms/Churchill Museum. Pretty incredible, especially the War Rooms.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I meant the duration, champ.

And the people I know who went were totally underwhelmed with his set. They are not as much of Dylan nuts as I am, though, so I took it with a grain of salt.

People judge a show by a stop watch?

You see the set list?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
People judge a show by a stop watch?

You see the set list?

I'm only telling you what I read and heard. I don't think most people like hearing Bob Dylan these days.

Yes I saw the set list. I like. Much better than his standard fare, which I have to admit I've grown pretty tired of hearing, especially given the legion material from which he has to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom