OT: Blocked by Des on Twitter | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Blocked by Des on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
In a dying industry that is relying more and more on clicks, how does it make any good business sense to block people on Twitter?

That's what I'm thinking. Like, if I don't even know what I did to get a freakin block it couldn't have been too egregious. The only effect is that I now can't see any links to his articles, and whose loss is that?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Des was on our flight home from the Maryland game - came across as a Richard.

Reaction Score
Holy crap...I've never seen this before. That was amazing. Now I feel kind of validated by being blocked--thanks.

If I can make one anonymous Boneyarder happy a day, I've done my job.

Reaction Score
I used to check the Courant daily for sports news but once it was apparent that no one cares to proof read the material that goes out for public consumption with the Hartford Courant brand on it I gave up. It's too embarrassing as a CT resident that the state's flagship newspaper is so poorly edited.
And I have no particular axe to grind. When I was a kid I would go with my mother in the wee hours of the morning delivering the Courant on a semi rural route to make a few extra bucks for the household. On Sunday mornings the paper came in sections and I would put the paper together(along with the Sunday advertisememnts) as we would make our way to businesses & residences. They had an excellent sports section back in the day and it gave you a little pride knowing that you were reading the longest running newspaper in the land. Now, unfortunately, they have been reduced to hiring the grammar challenged for the UConn Football beat and that is truly sad.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I got into a big debate with him awhile ago about the new head coach and he was such a baby and pulled the "if my job is so easy, then you do it" line. Lol.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So this might be a moron question but it just shows how little I really know Twitter....how do you know if he blocked you? I honestly feel like my grandparents asking this question!

Reaction Score
I love how this thread turned into a support group.
It seems to be that if Des blocked you, you do more for UConn than him. Might be time to hire a real writer.

#DesIsNotWhatsGood? #FireDes?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am not blocked by Des on Twitter.

Not surprising given that I'm nicer than almost all of you.

Reaction Score
I am not blocked by Des on Twitter.

Not surprising given that I'm nicer than almost all of you.
You kiss his rear end? Say something offensive to him about his work. Like you do to posters here for their posts!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Like Fishy not blocked... but had to unfollow due to the corny a** religious retweets.

Being fair he did a better job this past season than the last few.

Reaction Score
I'm not blocked either FWIW, but it's funny to see how many of you are.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not blocked, but I don't really engage him...or anyone really...on Twitter. Twitter is mostly informational for me.

Des does a better job than Shawn Corchesne could ever think about doing so he has that going for him. The thing about Des on Twitter is that he doesn't do anything distinguishing. I used to log into the Courant for his Monday chats, but he stopped those when fans were pestering him incessantly to agree with them that former "coach" Pasqualoni needed to be canned. He hasn't done one since. So there is no better insight from The Courant than the J-I, NHR, UConn Blog, or Daily Campus (when Tim Fontenault was there. New guy is still on 25-probation, based on that hack job that was published last week.), or any other source of UConn-centric sports info.

Reaction Score
I'm not blocked, but I don't really engage him...or anyone really...on Twitter. Twitter is mostly informational for me.

Des does a better job than Shawn Corchesne could ever think about doing so he has that going for him. The thing about Des on Twitter is that he doesn't do anything distinguishing. I used to log into the Courant for his Monday chats, but he stopped those when fans were pestering him incessantly to agree with them that former "coach" Pasqualoni needed to be canned. He hasn't done one since. So there is no better insight from The Courant than the J-I, NHR, UConn Blog, or Daily Campus (when Tim Fontenault was there. New guy is still on 25-probation, based on that hack job that was published last week.), or any other source of UConn-centric sports info.

I think to your point, as a beat writer it's not really Des's job to do any more than report on what's up with the team on a day-to-day basis. Who's starting, who's benched, injuries etc. etc. He could go deeper, but it's not his core responsibility.

If you're looking for a deep dig or insight into what's happening behind the scenes at the program, you really should be looking towards Jacobs at the Courant.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think to your point, as a beat writer it's not really Des's job to do any more than report on what's up with the team on a day-to-day basis. Who's starting, who's benched, injuries etc. etc. He could go deeper, but it's not his core responsibility.

If you're looking for a deep dig or insight into what's happening behind the scenes at the program, you really should be looking towards Jacobs at the Courant.
You're right. Jacobs is a columnist. He's paid to have an opinion. Des is a beat writer, but when he offers an opinion, he does so as if it is fact, which does not need to be supported and Heaven help the person following up on it (i.e. the kneel down debate linked above), or so he thinks.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not blocked either FWIW, but it's funny to see how many of you are.

I'm not blocked either, but I don't engage with him. I'm so glad the Courant doesn't let me read articles online anymore, now I'm not even tempted to read his drivel.

Reaction Score
I'm not blocked either, but I don't engage with him. I'm so glad the Courant doesn't let me read articles online anymore, now I'm not even tempted to read his drivel.
You can say that again. It keeps me from reading Jacobs as well. Did Jacobs write a Whalers article this month yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom