OT: Big East Lacrosse Confeence ? | The Boneyard

OT: Big East Lacrosse Confeence ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure which teams comprise that league, but when the Fruit carpetbag out, will there be enough teams to continue it? Too bad that Navy won't be added for all sports or they could slide right in.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
http://www.bigeast.org/Sports/MensLacrosse.aspx

Cuse, Nova, Georgetown, ND, RU, Providence, St. John's.

With Cuse out, that leaves 6 teams which I believe is enough to continue on as a conference with an autobid for the tournament (if that's how it works in Lacrosse, pretty sure that's how it works in other sports). Don't know who else is coming in for all sports and whether or not they play Lacrosse.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
marq is joining soon i think. cuse lax leaving would be like uconn girls leaving. its the show for that sport. i bet navy will get lax in, they will talk it out.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Any chance UConn ever upgrades Lacrosse to join the Big East or is Title IX in the way?

Reaction Score
marq is joining soon i think. cuse lax leaving would be like uconn girls leaving. its the show for that sport. i bet navy will get lax in, they will talk it out.
I don't think that can happen...Can't have FB and Lax in the BE and the rest in the Patriot.

To the OP: Cuse sacrificed their traditional rivals to help the BE in forming the league.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I don't think that can happen...Can't have FB and Lax in the BE and the rest in the Patriot.

To the OP: Cuse sacrificed their traditional rivals to help the BE in forming the league and then they left the league.

why not? its a free country ain't it? doesn't girls lax in the BE have a member that plays just tht sport? the evil 17th member of the BE that no 1 knows about.

Reaction Score
why not? its a free country ain't it? doesn't girls lax in the BE have a member that plays just tht sport? the evil 17th member of the BE that no 1 knows about.

I think he's referring to the Patriot League's own rules. Navy is a full member of the Patriot League, they are free to join the Big East for football because the Patriot League does not offer football at the FBS level. Lacrosse is a completely different story.

Loyola is the team you are thinking of for Women's Lacrosse. They are different situation as they have never put either their men's or women's teams in the MAAC for Lacrosse (Loyola's mens lacrosse team plays in the ECAC, the womens team was in the CAA and then an Independent before joining the Big East)

Reaction Score
Any chance UConn ever upgrades Lacrosse to join the Big East or is Title IX in the way?
JH always said Title IX was in the way. Let's see if WM sees it the same. UM found a way go join D1 lax.

Reaction Score
It's conceptually very easy. You simply have to cut male athletic scholarships in some non-revenue sport, or add them in a new women's sport. The first requires a hard choice, but I think lacrosse would add something for the student body that a number of male sports (golf? tennis?) don't. The latter "just" requires finding more cash.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
You'd think UCONN would want to get a D1 lax team. Fairfield county always has players playing at Duke, UVA, UNC, etc.

Reaction Score
As long as the baseball team doesn't lose any of their scholarships ill be happy...

Reaction Score
As long as the baseball team doesn't lose any of their scholarships ill be happy...

I think it's safe to say that baseball isn't getting any less support from the school any time soon. It is clear they want to build that program while it's riding its recent success

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
setting up lax for uconn would be easy compared to most schools. ct has a great base for lax. other strong states are mi/md/ny/ma among others. between ny/ma/ct uconn would have no problem being highly competitive in 5 years.

ct publics are very good at lax and especially the fc area. there are many solid programs in the area but there are some heavy weights. darien and feirfield prep come to mind. those schools on bad years send kids to big time programs. i would guess that about 10 ct kids go to college a year to play lax at a big time school. the lower d1 and d3 #'s are probally huge from ct. if uconn built a program they would have to aim to be a ny/ct/ma team and also aim to keep some of the best in state home, kind of like the fball struggle with recruits. over time that would happen imho. no joke there is a coach in ri that had some bad things happen in his past on his watch but he would be a killer way to start the program up. or u hire a local guy who would keep the ct roots strong right away. not to mention there are a ton of prep schools that play great lax in new england. lax would be a easy sport to start and become competitive in. i'm all for lax at uconn i think a sport like that vs others should be yes asap. i realize golf and tennis and swimming are nice sports but those don't make money. lax could make money somewhat or atleast be better off than those sports. people here may not liek this but i would drop 2 smaller mens sports and add lax if i was the ad at uconn. just makes sense $$ wise and national brand wise. lax games get on tv and draw crowds unlike other sports.

Reaction Score
I think it is pretty unlikely. There is a study ongoing right now of the mens hockey program which is currently non-scholarship. There is some suggestion at least that they might get upgraded to play in Hockey East (or in a perfect world, join the Big 10 hockey Conference when we join them). That would mean adding 18 scholarships for mens hockey alone. At a minimum I think they will add some. While I get that people would like to see UCONN add lacrosse, I think most of those scenarios are pretty far fetched, unless it was added as a non-scholarship program. I also don't by that it would be this incredibly successful program because they play it in Fairfield County. It isn't like Duke and UVA will stop recruiting Fairfield county because UCONN has a startup program. And it isn't like any program in New England, or the Northeast really outside Syracuse and to a degree Cornell, draws any fans. I suppose if you want to include the Maryland, Washington DC schools as Northeast you'd get it a bit higher. I know UCONN will be different, but UMass drew less than 1500 per year the season after they went to the NCAA Final Four in Lax. Providence, Fairfield, Yale, all pull in a few hundred on average. Again, I'm sure UCONN will be different. the question becomes whether you want to end exisitng programs, and I'd argue that golf and Tennis are pretty minor costs...I don't think they offer the full complement of scholarships in either. You'd have to go deeper if you wanted to generate offsetting scholarships. The golf team has 6 members, tennis 11. Each ahs a part time head coach and a volunteer assistant. UMass lacrosse carries a roster of 39. UCONN Women have a roster lsiting 29. So you're more into cutting more significant programs, I think. Both have a head coach and several assistants. You aren't getting those kind of numbers cutting golf and tennis. Your talking about Traack and Field and Swimming and diving maybe though neither of those programs have the full scholarship level allowed by the NCAA either...So if basketball and football and baseball are untouchable, you pretty much have to eliminate every other mens sport in order to add lacrosse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom