OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 51 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Hartford Courant weighs in with "Ten Hidden Gems" A couple have appeared in this thread. @mauconnfan

Pizza Gems

(kinda sad moving from Meriden only because of Little Rendezvous. But before the original owner sold it they were using canned shrooms and tomatoes (6 years ago). Dropped them in my ranks at the time.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hartford Courant weighs in with "Ten Hidden Gems" A couple have appeared in this thread. @mauconnfan

Pizza Gems

(kinda sad moving from Meriden only because of Little Rendezvous. But before the original owner sold it they were using canned shrooms and tomatoes (6 years ago). Dropped them in my ranks at the time.)

LR and Sal's are solid Meriden Pizza's.

But as far as Deep is concerned, they have nothing on the Spooker.

Reaction Score
Green onion in little "ol" Lisbon ct. Nothing fancy just damm good. Same goes for the grinders. Subway is just down the road and I never go there when you've got a good and authentic Greek pizza joint why would you.

I think mentioned earlier in the thread or maybe it was in the sandwich thread, but Green Onion has one of the best tuna grinders on the planet. I know they are easy to do at home and everything, but there is something about there's that is just damn good. I'd add Pizza Pal in New Britain as another incredible tuna grinder locale.... Back to the pizza- Glad to hear about Modern and the take out. Will definitely picking up one or two when I have the house to myself.

Reaction Score

Pizza Gems

Have to put a plug in for my brother and sister-in-law, who own and run Stretch's in Newington and made this list. They also were listed at 28th, in Hartford Magazine's list of the top 50 pizza places in Greater Hartford http://www.courant.com/hartford-magazine/cover-stories/hc-hm-pizza-july-20140701-story.html. They both work incredibly hard....not an easy way to make a living, especially for a small mom and pop type operation.

Living in Austin, TX, I truly miss the abundance of great options you all have in CT. You don't realize it until you're no longer living there, although I have to admit that Austin is a pretty special place to live and I won't trade it for anywhere else in the US.

If you get a chance to stop by Stretch's, tell Stevie/Cat that Jay sent you!

Enjoy!

Reaction Score
I also have had a life-long love affair with American cheese. I actually have a problem stopping eating it once I start, not unlike Homer (but not the Kraft singles for me; only Land O'Lakes or Boar's Head, white):

I can't explain to you how well I understand this.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ok Meriden peeps, I have an appointment in Meriden this afternoon and am aiming to check out Little Rendezvous. I see from the Courant article that the sausage pie is considered their "signature pie." Do you agree? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Reaction Score
I admit that what I am about to say leaves me open to mockery from pizza snobs but here goes anyway. Yesterday I stopped by the new Costco by the mall in Farmington and had a pepperoni slice and drink, for about $2.70. Price aside it's medium style, nice grease, great and tons of cheese. Each slice pretty massive, only 1 needed for lunch. Very satisfying I must say. If I was buying for an event or party it's a no brainer, but even though there are a few kinds these are not specialty pies. Okay, shoot away.

Reaction Score
I admit that what I am about to say leaves me open to mockery from pizza snobs but here goes anyway. Yesterday I stopped by the new Costco by the mall in Farmington and had a pepperoni slice and drink, for about $2.70. Price aside it's medium style, nice grease, great and tons of cheese. Each slice pretty massive, only 1 needed for lunch. Very satisfying I must say. If I was buying for an event or party it's a no brainer, but even though there are a few kinds these are not specialty pies. Okay, shoot away.

Why? Just why?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Daily Meal just put out a list with some rationale:( http://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/101-best-pizzas-america )
of the top 101 Pizza places.
CT did well with 9 places, 5 of them from New haven from my quick scan
Roseland Derby 84; Ernie's New Haven 75; Dominic & Pia's Wtbry 67; Bar NH 61; Zuppardi's West Haven 57; Colony Stamford 52' Modern NH 13; Sally's NH 5; Pepe's NH 1

Or, the third best pizza in NH is the 13th best in the country. Not bad

Reaction Score
The 3rd best pizza in New Haven is probably better than 13th in the country in reality.

And Roseland, not sure how it makes these lists. While good, it is not in the same league as the NH legends. Plus, it is the most overpriced pizza I have ever had.

Reaction Score
The 3rd best pizza in New Haven is probably better than 13th in the country in reality.

And Roseland, not sure how it makes these lists. While good, it is not in the same league as the NH legends. Plus, it is the most overpriced pizza I have ever had.

Reality is the "13th best in the country" is the best in New haven and the country!;)

Reaction Score

http://www.menupix.com/menudirectory/menu.php?id=5706694 I went to Roseland pizza as a teen with my dad and remember it being good but not as good as Pepe's and Sally's. What is the deal with their prices, it's a mom and pop place in a house in Derby. These prices have to be a misprint or they are family style servings for 5, what am I missing?

Reaction Score
http://www.menupix.com/menudirectory/menu.php?id=5706694 I went to Roseland pizza as a teen with my dad and remember it being good but not as good as Pepe's and Sally's. What is the deal with their prices, it's a mom and pop place in a house in Derby. These prices have to be a misprint or they are family style servings for 5, what am I missing?

It's Derby. In Derby, you don't ask questions like that from Italian families :cool:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ok Meriden peeps, I have an appointment in Meriden this afternoon and am aiming to check out Little Rendezvous. I see from the Courant article that the sausage pie is considered their "signature pie." Do you agree? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
What a classic joint. Like it's been frozen in time for 40 years.

I heard from a friend who is a big fan of LR and he said that his favorite pie from them is their plain pizza, with only sauce and grated cheese, with thin crust (they have thickness options there, from thin through double dough, and their "traditional" is not very thin).

I figured that was a high-risk proposition and that I would still be wanting to try something with more flavor as well, so I also ordered the sausage pie (thin crust).

I ate half of each, which was easily three slices too many. For some reason (hmmmm...maybe gluttony?) no matter how many times it happens, I simply don't wait long enough most of the time to let the pie cool down, so I end up singeing my mouth on the first couple slices and then I overeat because I really don't start to taste how great the pie is for a couple more slices, when it starts to cool down. And the guy even warned me that it was scorching hot. Of course, I waited; but I'm sure what I thought was five minutes was more like 30 seconds, because I was starving.

I am glad I got both pies. The plain was cool to experience and it tastes good enough, but that's not the way I like my apizza. I need more cheese than just grated, for starters. But it is a cool pie.

The sausage was very good. He said it gets it from Hartford, the same place they've been getting it for over 40 years. They crumble it, which I like.

The crust was thin and crisp, but a bit too try for my preferences. I like a slightly chewy crust, at least around the outside. They do theirs very thin and short around the outside, so you really don't even have much of a crust at all when you get to the end of a piece. Nice char though--could use a touch of olive oil imo.

Funny, there were only two other customers the whole time I was there, one of them who looked like he, too, was frozen in time for the last 40 years. He may have been wearing a Chess King jacket. He asked if they were the only coal or wood-fired pizza place left in Meriden (yes); and then he asked about--yep, you guessed it @mauconnfan --Verdolini's. I think what I heard the LR guy say was that they got closed down several years ago (early 90s?) because they had no insurance so they lost their lease, or something like that. He said that LR is closest in style to Verdolini's.

Of course, I had to ask him about the Spooker then. He had never heard of it, but he said that the guy from whom he bought LR probably did, because he was around when Verdolini's was in its heyday. He said that the signature, old school Meriden-style pie from places like LR and Verdolini's is the plain, like my buddy told me to get.

Glad I checked it out. Would stop again.

Reaction Score
It's Derby. In Derby, you don't ask questions like that from Italian families :cool:
Had some personal business ,so I had to fly back to CT
Last week after visiting someone at Griffin , we made a pilgrimage to Roseland
The're from the same part of Italy as my family but it's been years ,I'm Not usually a hugefan of their Pizza , back in the day the River was the spot,but this time it was outstanding.
I've had good also luck with the Pepe's in Danbury and not so good luck in New Haven.
When you eat Pizza the taste and texture of the crust is a huge clue on the quality
Next the sauce must be made from scratch (some of these places actually use canned sauce)and finally the quality of cheese
The all have to work together to create something worthwhile. Toppings are fine but
They can camouflage a mediocre pie ,or destroy the taste of a great one.
Roselands potions are usually very large and their homemade Italian Bread is the best. Your looking at multiple meals in one so the prices may reflect that.
The family is not strong on Customer Service and the ambiance isn't the best.
My daughter commented that she has been going there for 30 years and it looks the same. I've been going there for over 60 years and it looks the same.
Nonnie just retired so some dishes like the homemade tortellini are no longer available. Bummer

Reaction Score
What a classic joint. Like it's been frozen in time for 40 years.

I heard from a friend who is a big fan of LR and he said that his favorite pie from them is their plain pizza, with only sauce and grated cheese, with thin crust (they have thickness options there, from thin through double dough, and their "traditional" is not very thin).

I figured that was a high-risk proposition and that I would still be wanting to try something with more flavor as well, so I also ordered the sausage pie (thin crust).

I ate half of each, which was easily three slices too many. For some reason (hmmmm...maybe gluttony?) no matter how many times it happens, I simply don't wait long enough most of the time to let the pie cool down, so I end up singeing my mouth on the first couple slices and then I overeat because I really don't start to taste how great the pie is for a couple more slices, when it starts to cool down. And the guy even warned me that it was scorching hot. Of course, I waited; but I'm sure what I thought was five minutes was more like 30 seconds, because I was starving.

I am glad I got both pies. The plain was cool to experience and it tastes good enough, but that's not the way I like my apizza. I need more cheese than just grated, for starters. But it is a cool pie.

The sausage was very good. He said it gets it from Hartford, the same place they've been getting it for over 40 years. They crumble it, which I like.

The crust was thin and crisp, but a bit too try for my preferences. I like a slightly chewy crust, at least around the outside. They do theirs very thin and short around the outside, so you really don't even have much of a crust at all when you get to the end of a piece. Nice char though--could use a touch of olive oil imo.

Funny, there were only two other customers the whole time I was there, one of them who looked like he, too, was frozen in time for the last 40 years. He may have been wearing a Chess King jacket. He asked if they were the only coal or wood-fired pizza place left in Meriden (yes); and then he asked about--yep, you guessed it @mauconnfan --Verdolini's. I think what I heard the LR guy say was that they got closed down several years ago (early 90s?) because they had no insurance so they lost their lease, or something like that. He said that LR is closest in style to Verdolini's.

Of course, I had to ask him about the Spooker then. He had never heard of it, but he said that the guy from whom he bought LR probably did, because he was around when Verdolini's was in its heyday. He said that the signature, old school Meriden-style pie from places like LR and Verdolini's is the plain, like my buddy told me to get.

Glad I checked it out. Would stop again.

Wow 8893 that's a history lesson you had at LR. Perfect description of the place and the pie itself. Funny they spoke about Verdolini's but not crazy you heard about the "plain" pie. Actually the plain was better than the Spooker (deep will not be happy) but it is true, the plain at LR is as close as it gets. Glad you enjoyed it let me know when you plan again I will buy! And at the bar after too - Quality Time! LOL

Go Mets

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It is a real question. I thought it was pizza related.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Luna's in West Hartford (and Simsbury and Plainville and Hartford and...).

Reaction Score
I had Pepe's the other day for the first time and it was awful. It was the most over hyped and overrated pizza I have ever had. I have had much better Italian pies in both NYC (Tavola) and Port Chester (Tarry Lodge).

Again, anyone who has gone to Max Pizza in Bristol knows it as the best pizza that region has to offer and it is not even close. If you have not tried it and you live anywhere nearby, you are insane. The also have other locations in New Britain and Burlington. For those that try it for the first time, your welcome!

Reaction Score
LR and Sal's are solid Meriden Pizza's.

But as far as Deep is concerned, they have nothing on the Spooker.
Use to work on Research Pkwy in town. Had 45min commute and I often got a couple of slices to go from Sal's, put them on a skillet at home to heat and crisp them up a little more and enjoyed them with a beer.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I had Pepe's the other day for the first time and it was awful. It was the most over hyped and overrated pizza I have ever had. I have had much better Italian pies in both NYC (Tavola) and Port Chester (Tarry Lodge).

Again, anyone who has gone to Max Pizza in Bristol knows it as the best pizza that region has to offer and it is not even close. If you have not tried it and you live anywhere nearby, you are insane. The also have other locations in New Britain and Burlington. For those that try it for the first time, your welcome!

Post/Handle

inferior Pizza type

Reaction Score

I've been to Tavola and it is great, but you are talking about two totally different things. Tavola is a Trattoria-style place with personal pizzas. When I say things like, it is impossible to find good pizza within 200 miles of here, I naturally leave off the Italian-restaurants that make $15-20 personal pies.

Pepe's is a pizza joint. Not a bistro.

Anyway, what Pepe's were you at? New Haven?

Reaction Score
I've been to Tavola and it is great, but you are talking about two totally different things. Tavola is a Trattoria-style place with personal pizzas. When I say things like, it is impossible to find good pizza within 200 miles of here, I naturally leave off the Italian-restaurants that make $15-20 personal pies.

Pepe's is a pizza joint. Not a bistro.

Anyway, what Pepe's were you at? New Haven?

I tried the Pepe's in Fairfield. I understand it may not be as good as the one in New Haven, but, I need to be at least intrigued by it and I was completed unimpressed. Just very ordinary on so many levels.

I don't discriminate against the different styles of pizzas (think crust, brick oven, deep dish, etc.). If it is good pizza, it is good pizza! I can enjoy and appreciate many of the different styles depending on my mood and how the taste buds are feeling that day.

I grew up eating pizza in central CT and now live in Fairfield County, where the pizza is completely inferior (Connolly Grill is awful, too). I long for the days when I could stop in and pick up an extra large pizza for $12 with my friends to watch a few football / basketball games on Saturday and Sunday. Those days are over, but any chance I get, I try to meet a few of them at the old pizza joint in Bristol. You know its great pizza, when family and friends from other places in the country reminisce about it when they see you. It just has a way of leaving a lasting impression. So, if you haven't tried it, do yourself a favor and go. You won't be disappointed. My favorites include meatball or mushroom. Good luck!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom