OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 49 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have not, will put it on the list. Thanks.

I was pleasantly surprised last year at the pizza from Anthony's of Guilford. Do you rate Marco's better?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Has anybody tried Village Pizza on Main ST in Old Wethersfield? Been there 30 yrs.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So we tried the new New Haven style place in Killingworth, Rosello's, last week. Good ingredients, good sauce, cooked well, but the crust was tasteless and cracker-like.

Had Grand Apizza from Madison again tonight and confirmed once again that it is by far the best in town for our tastes.

Madison definitely lacks a quality pizza maker

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I have not, will put it on the list. Thanks.

I was pleasantly surprised last year at the pizza from Anthony's of Guilford. Do you rate Marco's better?[/QUOTE

Yes. Very thin, light, different good on all the basics. In town (delivery), I use Carpanzanos. I like it, maybe a little better than Anthony's.
But Marco's more than either.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I realize that this may be considered sacrilege or an abomination by some, but after my brother had been pestering me for months to try a pizza from Modern with American cheese instead of mozzarella, last night I finally indulged. Red pie with American cheese and meatball, well done (based on both his recommendation and my own experience with Modern). In all these years I never even noticed it as a menu option, probably because I never would have considered it. But there it is, right on top of the menu next to Plain and Mozzarella.

I have to say that it was pretty damn good--even better after it cooled a bit so the cheese gelled a little more (also based on his advice). Very creamy and different than mozz.

Will definitely have it again. May need to taste alongside a mozz pie next time.

Anyone else ever had American cheese instead of mozz from a pizza place?

Reaction Score
I realize that this may be considered sacrilege or an abomination by some, but after my brother had been pestering me for months to try a pizza from Modern with American cheese instead of mozzarella, last night I finally indulged. Red pie with American cheese and meatball, well done (based on both his recommendation and my own experience with Modern). In all these years I never even noticed it as a menu option, probably because I never would have considered it. But there it is, right on top of the menu next to Plain and Mozzarella.

I have to say that it was pretty damn good--even better after it cooled a bit so the cheese gelled a little more (also based on his advice). Very creamy and different than mozz.

Will definitely have it again. May need to taste alongside a mozz pie next time.

That sounds so unappealing that I will not even try it. Blechhh!

And yeah, there re pizza places out there that actually use velveeta or cheese whiz.

Reaction Score
Has anybody tried Village Pizza on Main ST in Old Wethersfield? Been there 30 yrs.

Have had it many, many times (not recently though)... I think it's absolutely delicious, but I think it's also sentimentally delicious since that was the place my grandparents would always order from. So my post is absolutely no help.

Reaction Score
As a FYI, stopped by Rossini's in Cheshire on my way back from the Navy game last week. First time I have been there is a LONG time. Split a pie with my son - 1/2 pepperoni and a 1/2 onion/pepper pie. It was pretty good, though just a bit oily for my liking. My son gave it a one thumbs-up. He gave a 2 thumbs up to the salted pretzel ice cream cone he had a Sweet Claude's just down the street afterwards.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider it a pizza.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Honestly, I wouldn't even consider it a pizza.
Take it up with Modern. Not only a pizza, but "Traditional Apizza" according to their menu:
hmodernwebmenu.jpg

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't have to take up anything with Modern. I couldn't possibly care less what they consider is "Traditional." They have their opinion and are obligated to make money to stay in business. I have mine. My opinion means more to me.

I don't eat at California Pizza Kitchen or Louie's Lunch either.

Husky25

Reaction Score
There was never any doubt about that.
Don't hold back. We both know that my opinion means more to you too.:D

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Never heard of it until this minute. The fact that it is at Modern gives it some cred.
If Domino's had it we would all laugh. But I wouldn't get my Italian card revoked if I tried it at one of the big three.

Nutritionally it would be worse.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Never heard of it until this minute. The fact that it is at Modern gives it some cred.
If Domino's had it we would all laugh. But I wouldn't get my Italian card revoked if I tried it at one of the big three.

Nutritionally it would be worse.
Yeah, no question it's worse nutritionally. American cheese also reacts strangely in the pizza oven. It must have a lower flash point than mozz (likely because of more fat/oil), because it also gets large burnt spots on it (tastes fine, but looks funny).

It's not something I would do regularly because I don't prefer it, and because it's even less healthy than normal pizza. But I'm more of a "never say never" guy when it comes to trying stuff, so I tried it, and I liked it.

I'm also a cheeseaholic who never met a cheese I didn't like, and as much as I love all manner of fine and special cheeses, I also have had a life-long love affair with American cheese. I actually have a problem stopping eating it once I start, not unlike Homer (but not the Kraft singles for me; only Land O'Lakes or Boar's Head, white):

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I'm also a cheeseaholic who never met a cheese I didn't like, and as much as I love all manner of fine and special cheeses, I also have had a life-long love affair with American cheese. I actually have a problem stopping eating it once I start, not unlike Homer (but not the Kraft singles for me; only Land O'Lakes or Boar's Head, white):

Yeah, my room-mate used to wonder what smelled worse, my socks or the cheese I ate. I think I've only had one or two cheeses I didn't like, and I lived in Europe for 5 years so I had some real "stinkers."

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, my room-mate used to wonder what smelled worse, my socks or the cheese I ate. I think I've only had one or two cheeses I didn't like, and I lived in Europe for 5 years so I had some real "stinkers."
I love stinky cheeses, too; but in saying that I've never met a cheese I didn't like, I should admit that there is one that I have avoided: Limburger. The reason? A Little Rascals episode I saw probably 40 years ago in which Chubby was ostracized for eating Limburger cheese because it made him smell so bad. I've been afraid to try it my whole life because of that.

Reaction Score
I love stinky cheeses, too; but in saying that I've never met a cheese I didn't like, I should admit that there is one that I have avoided: Limburger. The reason? A Little Rascals episode I saw probably 40 years ago in which Chubby was ostracized for eating Limburger cheese because it made him smell so bad. I've been afraid to try it my whole life because of that.

My idea of a solid food pyramid - Cheese, crackers, wine. Got to try them all.

Reaction Score
I have enjoyed reading this thread. It is clear that some of you love great pizza every bit as much as I do. I particularly enjoyed the Comments from 8893 and August West. Just curious 8893 what is your favorite of all the places in Connecticut?

Reaction Score
This is my go to thread after losing out on a recruit like Gabriel. We never lose to Kentucky here. Btw pretty sure Modern added that American cheese pie for visitors from Kentucky since they probably don't know what mozzarella is.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just curious 8893 what is your favorite of all the places in Connecticut?
Modern is my go-to for the best combination of quality and convenience. We probably get pizza from there more than all the others combined.

Reaction Score
Pepe's is my choice. I will drive down from Glastonbury about 3 times a year. Modern is in the same league though. Sadly, I have not been to Sally's in about 20 years.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Pepe's is my choice. I will drive down from Glastonbury about 3 times a year. Modern is in the same league though. Sadly, I have not been to Sally's in about 20 years.
I'm with you on both scores there. Pepe's would have a slight edge if convenience is taken out of the equation, but their take out takes way too long, and we rarely eat out for pizza these days--even more rarely are we willing to endure a line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom