OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 48 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I see my child has resurrected.

I went to Viron Rondo Osteria and had the margherita pizza, and it was delightful. I enjoyed it and give it 3 golden stars.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna just act like I didn't see the "in CT" part of this thread.

I just had a pretty bangin wood-fired grilled pizza while on my vacation in Alaska at the Hotel Alyeska restaurant where I am staying. The hotel is about 30 mins outside Anchorage, AK and is mainly a ski resort in the fall and winter. Highly recommend this hotel and the pizza at its restaurant.

This pepperoni, sausage, and mushroom pizza was done almost perfectly in my opinion. Great crunchy yet slightly chewed crust. Excellent mozzarella cheese. Super tasty sauce with a hint of basil. Fresh toppings. Certainly one of the best pizzas I've had in quite awhile. Can't believe this kinda pizza can be found in Alaska!

9/10

It was really really good, but still not the best I've had.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
FYI - For all the basketball onlys/football is hurting basketball folks, they serve pizza at Rentschler Field and this gentleman is willing to buy you a ticket for a great cause (UConn inching toward a P5 conference).
https://twitter.com/EnzosDad
Mike Melio ‏@EnzosDad Aug 24
If we want to insure FUTURE success for ALL of our Athletic Programs WE NEED to Support our Football Team NOW! @UConnFootball #RiseUp

Mike Melio ‏@EnzosDad
Aug 24
Want to Accelerate Conference Realignment?You can help by being in a seat Sept 3rd for our Home Opener! @UConnFootball #RiseUpTogether

Mike Melio ‏@EnzosDad Aug 24
Short on Resources?I'll buy tickets for ANYONE that is COMMITTED to joining us at The Rent Sept 3rd! NO JOKE @UConnFootball #RiseUpTogether

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tried Carminuccio's in Newtown tonight. Good, but not great. I can think of a handful of better places in CT right off the top of my head.

Reaction Score
Took the family to Kinchley's Tavern on the Ramsey/Mahwah line in North Jersey today. Its' considered the best thin crust pizza in the region. I had sausage, wife has meatball, kids had cheese. I said it was good. Wife said it was not burnt and way better than Pepe's in New Haven (she likes Bar a bit better). Anyone know a good divorce lawyer, LOL.

PS - If you are in the area and stop (say on the way to the Meadowlands for a game or taking the train into the City from Ramsey 17, its cash only.

Reaction Score
Just to add to something that was discussed. Went to the New Haven Pepe's and the Manchester one last week and the New Haven one is definitely better.

Reaction Score
Try Rentschler Field pizza on September 3.

Please everyone go to the football games, but the rent pizza is crap.
Queen pizza or Roma's is decent and close to the rent for Greek/NE pizza
Villa milanos near the coke cola building is decent NY thin, but just a normal oven. You can get quick slices here.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yeah the Rent has horrible pizza. I do not recommend. But I do recommend going to the Nova game.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This guy has done good research: http://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/101-best-pizzas-america-2015

This may be the definitive list.

Should be pinned at the start of this thread.

Pepe's, Sally's, Modern, BAR, Ernie's, Zuppardi's, a few other Connecticuts, including Colony and Roseland.

Doesn't seem like the author visited many cities. I've had pizza in Pittsburgh (Il Pizzaiolo/Cucina Bella/Dinette), San Diego (URBN) and Alexandria, VA (Red Rocks) that are at least the equal of some of these entries.

Good pizza has come pretty far recently and IMO, you could probably do a top 100 on just traditional Neapolitan wood fired pizza and #100 wouldn't be that far off in taste/quality than #1.

For instance, I like Sal's in Mamaroneck as it's a solid slice w/o having to go into NYC, but a top 100? Nah. I think a compilation of a top 5 or 10 "best" of specific pizza styles would be more informative and useful. I don't really give a crap about deep dish or Grandma pies, but it always seems like the same lone representative of those styles has been making these lists since 1990.

Reaction Score
Doesn't seem like the author visited many cities. I've had pizza in Pittsburgh (Il Pizzaiolo/Cucina Bella/Dinette), San Diego (URBN) and Alexandria, VA (Red Rocks) that are at least the equal of some of these entries.

Good pizza has come pretty far recently and IMO, you could probably do a top 100 on just traditional Neapolitan wood fired pizza and #100 wouldn't be that far off in taste/quality than #1.

For instance, I like Sal's in Mamaroneck as it's a solid slice w/o having to go into NYC, but a top 100? Nah. I think a compilation of a top 5 or 10 "best" of specific pizza styles would be more informative and useful. I don't really give a crap about deep dish or Grandma pies, but it always seems like the same lone representative of those styles has been making these lists since 1990.

He says in the article that he's not even going to consider Chicago-style pizza. He also has a lot of DC area places, so I'm assuming he's been around there.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
upstater said:
He says in the article that he's not even going to consider Chicago-style pizza. He also has a lot of DC area places, so I'm assuming he's been around there.

Good, he shouldn't consider Chicagostyle. It's a best pizza category, not a best casserole category. ( I actually enjoy a good deep dish once in a while, but it ain't pizza its lasagna on top of dough)

Reaction Score

Pequod's is pretty much the only good deep dish.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
You think the author went to hundreds and hundreds of pizza places, remembered the taste of them all and went back and methodically picked the top 101? I don't

Reaction Score
You think the author went to hundreds and hundreds of pizza places, remembered the taste of them all and went back and methodically picked the top 101? I don't

I do. They said they did. There are several of them that have been doing it for years.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Sounds like they made a good effort. But, across times and miles and different palettes, I'm not sure how you differentiate the 57th best pizza from the 58th.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So we tried the new New Haven style place in Killingworth, Rosello's, last week. Good ingredients, good sauce, cooked well, but the crust was tasteless and cracker-like.

Had Grand Apizza from Madison again tonight and confirmed once again that it is by far the best in town for our tastes.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Kevin, Have you tried Marco's in Branford. Very thin crust. Very good (short of driving to New Haven)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom