Orphan (coz you never saw it coming)
Psycho
Frankenstein (Boris Karloff)
Conjuring (the Warrens)
Nightmare on Elm Street & New Nightmare
Pumkinhead
Night of the Living Dead

Reaction Score
Anyone seen the wrong turn movies the 1st one was good 2-5 were stupid but funny to watch, the funny part is its based in West Virginia and they are inbreded hill billy cannibals.

Reaction Score
I'll always consider The Shining the best. Not much gratuitous gore (other than the elevator), or eyeballs coming out of sockets, but man did that movie make it hard to sleep for a while.

My main issue with The Shining is it's supposed to be about a guy with issues coming unhinged in a remote, isolated (and malevolent) hotel. Jack Nicholson is a great actor, but I already think of Nicholson as unhinged. I'd rather they'd cast an actor with a less "out there" reputation so you could get a better sense of the guy actually going off the deep end.

I thought "Room 1708" with John Cusack was fantastic. It's my favorite adaptation of a Stephen King yarn.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The original Shining was one of my favorites. Also thought the first Nightmare on Elm St. was good because you couldn't figure if it was a dream or not throughout.

One movie though that scared me when I was young was a movie called The Other. Not gory or anything, but more a psychological horror film. Was about 2 twin brothers Niles and Holland.... sort of, one seemingly bad, one good. Haven't seen it in many, many years though, not sure how it would seem today.

Reaction Score
My main issue with The Shining is it's supposed to be about a guy with issues coming unhinged in a remote, isolated (and malevolent) hotel. Jack Nicholson is a great actor, but I already think of Nicholson as unhinged. I'd rather they'd cast an actor with a less "out there" reputation so you could get a better sense of the guy actually going off the deep end.

I thought "Room 1708" with John Cusack was fantastic. It's my favorite adaptation of a Stephen King yarn.

Did you see it when it came out? I know he was in Cuckoo's Nest before that, so that might have had the effect you're talking about.

I saw The Shining in high school in the late 80s - before Batman came out and before I saw Cuckoo's Nest - so I didn't think of Nicholson as anything other than the character he was portraying (and a Laker fan). That might have helped me get wrapped up in the storyline a little easier.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Came here to post exactly that. Just yesterday I screamed "red rum" and was freaked out by the vision of those twin girls in the hallway.

When I was younger I remember a movie called "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" that freaked me out for a while. All I recall now is a woman being carried away by some goblin creatures that lived in her fireplace or something, and she was trying unsuccessfully to use her camera flash to ward them off, because they didn't like the light and only came out in the dark--hence the name. Haven't seen it in probably 35 years and now I'm finally curious enough to see it again. Gotta try and track that down.
I remember that movie. That was dang scary. I think it starred the actress from True Grit.

th

Reaction Score
Did you see it when it came out? I know he was in Cuckoo's Nest before that, so that might have had the effect you're talking about.

I saw The Shining in high school in the late 80s - before Batman came out and before I saw Cuckoo's Nest - so I didn't think of Nicholson as anything other than the character he was portraying (and a Laker fan). That might have helped me get wrapped up in the storyline a little easier.

Yeah I saw it in the theatre, too. And yes, I had already seen Cuckoo's nest. Plus I had read the book, so there were the usual annoyances regarding translation to screen.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Newer flicks that are real good:

The Ring
The Descent - cave fanatics go deep and end up with no way back, thus ending up in the midst of deep-cave dwellers that kill.
The Grudge

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Exorcist is the all time champion.
Halloween
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Evil Dead (& 2)
Nosferatu (impressively creepy for 1922). The movie about it with Wilem DeFoe is good too.

If you count humorous horror movies, Shaun of the Dead and Young Frankenstein are fantastic.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Scariest movie I saw by far was ALIEN! People had to leave the theater when that was showing, they couldn't take the intensity. I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned, probably because people think of it as science fiction rather than horror. But back in 1980, it was pretty intense.

Reaction Score
Although the black and white sci-fi of the 50's get a bad rap.there were actually some good ones
The day the Earth stood still with its anti-war message
Better than the Keano Reeves green garbage
The original invasion of the Body Snatchers black and white 1955
set in s small somewhat isolated Calif town, it is still is a classic.
The remakes have all missed the mark.
Them with a pretty good cast and a somewhat appropriate location
again with an anti-nuke mutant ant theme.
A movie that seriously impacted business is Spielbergs Jaws
People actually didn't go in the water.
A great cast and incredible musical score. A somewhat Rip-off on Moby Dick. But good stories are hard to come by.
The first Halloween, they should have stopped at one.
Alien was also good

The shining was overrated with Jack Haming is up a little too much
I saw a short British movie about an unfaced serial killer who optained his victims cell phone number then continually texted them about there impending doom,which they were powerless to prevent. A for originality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom