Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Seagrape - Fairfield U bar by the beach
Sandbar Norwalk - by the East Norwalk train station now closed
Murphy's Townhouse - Stamford
Yes to all 3. The Sandbar was my favorite.
Ernie's in Darien.
Burns' in Stamford, if you can see through the smoke.

Murphy's definitely is not a dive. I'd call Seagrape a college bar, not a dive. The Beachcomber has it all over Seagrape for dive status.

Now Burns', THAT'S a dive - shot n beer joint where you might see the same faces at 10pm that were there at noon.

Can't believe I'm not familiar with Ernie's.

Back in the day, Melfi's in Springdale was my fave dive. Quarter beers in juice glasses. Greasy but delicious chili. The Shamrock on Shippan was a close 2nd.

I was thinking this thread sounded familiar, and sure enough: Best dive bars in CT.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm down with you on Old Town. A different (very fun local) bar during adult summer softball season, and a legitimate stop for any of the BYers at any time of year. Luckily I am an indirect friend with Billy (who's seldom there) so never would get tossed. Just park in the back gravel lot and hope no one nicks your car on the way out.

Amazed that whaler has been there = at least he has excellent taste in life's more memorably events.

As to my definition of dive bar, I had the pleasure of visiting the bar right across the street from the old Pratt and Whitney plant in EH. You better order boilermakers or at least a shot and a draft to get service. Was only there once and was frankly a bit scared to go back again. Talk about middle class hard working blue collar workers and their lives - be careful to ask them any questions if you go to college. It was an invaluable experience for me. Wish I could remember the name. Thank god I wasn't there on P&W payday or I might not be posting this now.

Been to the Old Towne? I've been there >150 times. Because this is a family board I can't tell my favorite Old Towne stories.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Sea Grape is def not a dive. It's filled with really pretty girls a lot of the time. That's the biggest disqualifier that exists.

When I lived in Fairfield the problem with going to the Sea Grape
was there were always cops lurking - and pre cell phone days I had no option but to walk the 3 or so miles home and get a ride back to my car in the morning.

Reaction Score
Been to the Old Towne? I've been there >150 times. Because this is a family board I can't tell my favorite Old Towne stories.

We must maybe know each other. My total is more along 60. I lived in 06109 all my life and graduated from Trinity in 79 if that helps place the time period. PM me if its similar. Always nice to reconnect to a possible contact

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We must maybe know each other. My total is more along 60. I lived in 06109 all my life and graduated from Trinity in 79 if that helps place the time period. PM me if its similar. Always nice to reconnect to a possible contact

I dated about a half dozen girls from Wethersfield but didn't graduate from college until 96.

Reaction Score
The old Elfie's, right across the street from the main gate at EB. The drinks were lined up at the bar for lunch and quitting time.

Reaction Score
Back in the day:

Hard Hat Cafe - North Haven
Penalty Box - Enfield
Cloverleaf - Enfield
Memories - Enfield
Jakes - Windsor Locks
Corner Cafe & Britannia Spoon - Wallingford
Rovers - Middlefield
Shamus & Valentino's - Middletown
Brass Rail - Bristol
Berkshire Pub - Torrington
Brass Rail - New Hartford
Shamrock - Meriden

Reaction Score
The Sea Grape is def not a dive. It's filled with really pretty girls a lot of the time. That's the biggest disqualifier that exists.

When I lived in Fairfield the problem with going to the Sea Grape
was there were always cops lurking - and pre cell phone days I had no option but to walk the 3 or so miles home and get a ride back to my car in the morning.

Agreed on the Sea Grape. Same goes for The Horseshoe IMO. Way too many "yuppies" to be classified as a dive. The only dive in Fairfield in Fairfield (BPT line) is The 19th Hole on Brooklawn Ave. Now that place is a sh!thole.

Reaction Score
No disrespect to anyone but the area surrounding Coventry Lake is our own little slice of West Virginia.

Why is that? I've always felt something was off there yet the potential is through the roof. With UConn around the corner and easy access to Manchester/Hartford etc. a quick commute, it should be very desirable.

Reaction Score
Back in the day:

Penalty Box - Enfield
Cloverleaf - Enfield
Memories - Enfield
Jakes - Windsor Locks
Rovers - Middlefield
Brass Rail - Bristol
Shamrock - Meriden

That's a strong list.

Reaction Score
Why is that? I've always felt something was off there yet the potential is through the roof. With UConn around the corner and easy access to Manchester/Hartford etc. a quick commute, it should be very desirable.
The culture is very ummm let's just say rural. More likely to see confederate flag bumper stickers than UCONN ones. But yes there is natural beauty and the location is not bad at all.

Reaction Score

There's so many more I'm just too old to remember them. I mean my days of playing baseball in the twilight leagues in Hartford, Waterbury, Wallingford and Meriden, especially the away games in the GHTBL for away games all over the state, stopped at some great local establishments after games. City League hoops in Meriden, Wallingford, Torrington, Enfield also - Torrington there's a lot more than Berkshire and some real solid stops. Long rides home too at times back then :confused:

Just too long ago. LOL

Reaction Score
Back in the day:

Penalty Box - Enfield
Cloverleaf - Enfield
Memories - Enfield
Jakes - Windsor Locks
Rovers - Middlefield
Brass Rail - Bristol
Shamrock - Meriden
Jiggies and Jimmy's in Enfield need to on the list as well. Enfield is coming strong.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Ye Olde Bridge Grille in Westport was fanastic. I spent my undergrad years there in the early/mid 1980's.

Sadly, it's gone.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The Beachcomber in Milford...so dirty.

16308861554_53ce5103d5_z.jpg
She's beautiful to me.

Reaction Score
Is there heavy suspicion that any food consumed at establishment will result in an epic throne session later that night?
Might be a dive.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Brass Horse - Barkhamsted

If it's still the same place.

My buddy plays guitar for Shaka and the Soul Shakers (a blues band). They play there regularly. Its still the same place and yes, it is a dive.

But for Litchfield County I'd have to put my vote in for the Northside Tavern (or "The 'Side" for short) in Torrington. Been going there since I was 16 (no lie). Of course the drinking age then was 18 and I had a beard, but it seemed like if you were tall enough to see over the bar they'd serve you.
cc3bf2d8db3da13b840ce3d4892602d4.jpg

Reaction Score
Any East Hartford folks

Frank's willow inn

The Maple

Another characteristic of Dive Bars for us millennials no Yelp reviews

Reaction Score
Back in the day:

Penalty Box - Enfield
Cloverleaf - Enfield
Memories - Enfield
Jakes - Windsor Locks
Rovers - Middlefield
Brass Rail - Bristol
Shamrock - Meriden
Rovers hot dogs! Played for the Corner Café Softball team in the late 90's. How about Lenny's in Wallingford. Locals only.

Reaction Score
Rovers hot dogs! Played for the Corner Café Softball team in the late 90's. How about Lenny's in Wallingford. Locals only.

Yeah I mentioned Lenny's in an earlier post. Lenny T was a good friend of a bookies friend of mine as well as having my ex-college assistant bbal coach as a bartender on occasion so we hung there lat 70's early 80's. Corner many times, old buddies from Sheehan used to go there, guys I met from legion and Twilight baseball. Wallingford was fun cops were brutal though. Courtyard also for many UConn games in the 90's my bro' bartended there.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Lenny T was a good friend of a bookies friend of mine as well as having my ex-college assistant bbal coach as a bartender on occasion

If anyone can translate that for me I would be forever indebted.

I mean is that like having a bartender cousin bookie twice removed or something?

Reaction Score
If anyone can translate that for me I would be forever indebted.

I mean is that like having a bartender cousin bookie twice removed or something?

That was ugly - translated my buddy who was a book out of a Meriden dive was good friends with Lenny. Played at The Farms with him back in the day as well as WCC. Is that easier to understand FF? lol

Reaction Score
What about All Peeps In Cafe in Wallingford? It's closed now, but I heard it was basically a meth/Juggalo bar which might actually be MORE awesome than a dive bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom