OT: Best Dive Bars in CT | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Dive Bars in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only time I went to Free Spirit a 3 fingered bouncer asked for a cover for a band that didn't exist.

All Stars is so grimy but can be so much fun. Randomly get awesome drafts. Always some eye candy behind the bar. Always some hilarious characters.

Love the Hungry Tiger in Manchester. Tavern House Grille in Tolland is pretty fun too. Only been to Three Js in Bolton is sweet too.
When I first moved here Hungry Tiger was a strip club called The Brass Hammer. I am not sure how I remember that.;)

Reaction Score
Anchor was too upscale... Jack's Bar and Grill on East Street.

Remember the Norge Grille across from the Coliseum?

Jack's was classic. Owner Al Guaneri, who died in 1988, was one of the best. Never the same after it moved to State Street thanks to the never ending 91/95 construction.

Spent a lot of time in the Norge, along with Col, Lips another good dive, before and after many hockey games and concerts at the Coliseum.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I never went inside the Twin Lakes Cafe in Amston, but I grew up down the road from it and always imagined that it was pretty scary on the inside. It made Butterballs in the center of town look like the four seasons

Reaction Score
Didn't know the Owl's Nest was the former Josey Wales. Just looked up a story about the Owl's Nest closing. Turns out I went to elementary school -- same grade and same class -- with the former owner.

Reaction Score
Didn't know the Owl's Nest was the former Josey Wales. Just looked up a story about the Owl's Nest closing. Turns out I went to elementary school -- same grade and same class -- with the former owner.

McGowans and Malone's West before that...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The Spigot is still around. We like to call it El Spigeuax to make it sound a little nicer. It actually has a somewhat younger crowd. Solid Beer List, Darts, Baseball Cards on the Walls. Seems like all the young kids in West Hartford who don't fit the center vibe like to hang there. I hit it up a couple times of a year as I live around the corner.
I loathed WH Center and liked the Spigot because it wasn't the Center. Funny what you call it because we always called it La Spigeau.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is this the same place that used to be the Keg House before that?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I loathed WH Center and liked the Spigot because it wasn't the Center. Funny what you call it because we always called it La Spigeau.

WH center is the worst. Except for Treva. The baratta at Treva makes up for everything else that's obnoxious about WH center

Reaction Score
Is this the same place that used to be the Keg House before that?

Nope. Can't be. Did a search and apparently Megadeth played at Keg House in 1986.

I was having 99 cent pitchers of beer as a 17 year old at Josey Wales at least a year before that.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Seagrape - Fairfield U bar by the beach
Sandbar Norwalk - by the East Norwalk train station now closed
Murphy's Townhouse - Stamford

Reaction Score
The essence of a dive bar
So what is a true dive? That's a question I've been asking myself a lot lately. Let's start with the basics. Dive bars usually have more than one life. Their first is as a tavern, mom-and-pop shop, roadhouse, speakeasy, juke joint, nightclub, honky tonk, club, lounge, pub, beer hall, fern bar, gay bar, Tiki joint, inn, or saloon. At some point in time, unforeseen circumstances lead to compromises in upkeep, inventory, and clientele. This can occur slowly or swiftly, but the consequences are lasting. Often it is the result of changes occurring in the neighborhood in which the bar is situated, but many a dive was borne of divorce, health crises, or legal judgments. If you still need help discerning the relative divey-ness of a watering hole, I've worked up a short list of questions suitable for printing and laminating.

Did everyone in the place look you over when you walked through the door?
Might be a dive.

Is there a kitchen serving food from a menu?
Not a dive.
Are security camera monitors positioned behind the bar?
Might be a dive.
Are the mirrors, windows, and floor clean?
Not a dive.
Do you get the sense that could get strange -- dangerously strange -- at any moment?
Might be a dive.
Are craft beers on tap?
Not a dive.
Is there a condom machine in the restroom?
Might be a dive.
Does the bar sell branded merchandise of any kind?
Not a dive.
Is the weekly special a challenge of endurance or consumption?
Might be a dive.

Reaction Score
Highliner in Westbrook is also a good spot. Not exactly a dive bar but its got some history and female friends of mine somewhat refuse to go there. $5-6 dollar pint glasses of vodka soda (not well vodka either think 3 olives or kettle) and during football season they offer a free buffet that one of the owners brings in and sets up. Cash only bar. They also have a token system that I've never really asked about but I've seen people pay with different colored tokens.

Scottish Daves in Clinton previously The Driftwood is another dive bar. I cant stand that place though. Been there about 5 times and have been part of fights 3 of my occasions backing up friends. Last time it was about 20 people vs. my group of 4 guys and 5 females (out of 8 females in the place we brought 5) and some drudge local was saying inappropriate things to one of the females and next thing you know pool sticks and stools and punches were flying all over and then the owner Scottish Dave backed up his everyday patrons and told us never to come back. Their loss as we never paid our $200 tab that night and will never go back.

Reaction Score
Seagrape - Fairfield U bar by the beach
Sandbar Norwalk - by the East Norwalk train station now closed
Murphy's Townhouse - Stamford
Yes to all 3. The Sandbar was my favorite.
Ernie's in Darien.
Burns' in Stamford, if you can see through the smoke.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Yes to all 3. The Sandbar was my favorite.
Ernie's in Darien.
Burns' in Stamford, if you can see through the smoke.
I was going to add those but I was not too familiar

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Highliner in Westbrook is also a good spot. Not exactly a dive bar but its got some history and female friends of mine somewhat refuse to go there. $5-6 dollar pint glasses of vodka soda (not well vodka either think 3 olives or kettle) and during football season they offer a free buffet that one of the owners brings in and sets up. Cash only bar. They also have a token system that I've never really asked about but I've seen people pay with different colored tokens.

Scottish Daves in Clinton previously The Driftwood is another dive bar. I cant stand that place though. Been there about 5 times and have been part of fights 3 of my occasions backing up friends. Last time it was about 20 people vs. my group of 4 guys and 5 females (out of 8 females in the place we brought 5) and some drudge local was saying inappropriate things to one of the females and next thing you know pool sticks and stools and punches were flying all over and then the owner Scottish Dave backed up his everyday patrons and told us never to come back. Their loss as we never paid our $200 tab that night and will never go back.

Classic dive bar criterion. Chicks won't go there.

We had a bar near by where I live in Florida that is now closed. In my younger days a few of would go there, drink beer, eat wings, throw some darts and play Golden Tee. After 2-3 trips to the place my wife made me strip down naked of clothing in the garage and go right to the shower due to the stench from the place.

Reaction Score
Before it was the "half door" it was the cool moose. That place may have taken the cake.
The Cool Moose was a classic college bar. Not a dive bar. Had many good nights at The Moose including the night I put a cigarette out on my forehead.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I hereby shed a tear for the lily lake in wolcott. Smoke a jibber in the gazebo and launch your empty beer bottles into the pond. Saddle up around the horseshoe bar for blackhaus on tap (shiver). There will never be another place like it.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. I never go on football board...but somehow I'm in a thread about dive bars. Not a mistake. I might not be a PhD like Mau....but I'm probably in shouting distance.

Mentioned already:
Old Towne in Wethersfield -- Grew up in Wethersfield, played town league softball for 10+ years, was a fixture there for way too long. Slept many a night in dirty softball pants and cleats.
)

I'm down with you on Old Town. A different (very fun local) bar during adult summer softball season, and a legitimate stop for any of the BYers at any time of year. Luckily I am an indirect friend with Billy (who's seldom there) so never would get tossed. Just park in the back gravel lot and hope no one nicks your car on the way out.

Amazed that whaler has been there = at least he has excellent taste in life's more memorably events.

As to my definition of dive bar, I had the pleasure of visiting the bar right across the street from the old Pratt and Whitney plant in EH. You better order boilermakers or at least a shot and a draft to get service. Was only there once and was frankly a bit scared to go back again. Talk about middle class hard working blue collar workers and their lives - be careful to ask them any questions if you go to college. It was an invaluable experience for me. Wish I could remember the name. Thank god I wasn't there on P&W payday or I might not be posting this now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
PS Now if ones definition of a dive bar is like the old Pedroes on 83rd (?) or Murphy's on 92nd (?) back in NYC in the 80's then my prior post means nothing.

PS - There is no way West Hartford (or Simsbury, Avon, Farmington) has any dive bars. Maybe New Milford or Danbury.

Cheers to the person who mentioned the small Charter Oak pubs - been to a few from now and then and yes they are real life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger