OT: Berman in final season at ESPN | The Boneyard

OT: Berman in final season at ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
praise Jesus.

Am looking forward to be able to watch their pregame show in 2017.

Reaction Score
praise Jesus.

Am looking forward to be able to watch their pregame show in 2017.

Oh except that trey wingo is the front runner and he's almost as bad.

Suzy Kolber also mentioned .

Reaction Score
Berman might be past his prime and a diva now, but should be recognized for his huge contributions along with being CT born & raised. The new talent they are pushing on the network isn't close to Berman talent wise. Berman has paid his dues and beyond, pretty much building what ESPN is. You can't say Chris Berman didn't grind and earn everything he got. Plus that whole "You're with me, Leather" thing was funny.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh except that trey wingo is the front runner and he's almost as bad.

Suzy Kolber also mentioned .

Having been around all three of them.... Wingo and Kolber are at least decent people. When I was just out of college and at ESPN - Kolber and Fowler were tremendous to me.

ESPN will never have a decent NFL pregame show - but I think it would be better with Kolber than Wingo she is an absolute pro and seems to have less patience for nonsense on air.

Reaction Score
Berman is one of the true giants of sports broadcasting. His iconic calls and clever nicknames gave him a unique persona that made you want to watch. He was also extremely adept at leading the roundtable format. No offense to Wingo or Kolber but he will be sorely missed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Berman is one of the true giants of sports broadcasting. His iconic calls and clever nicknames gave him aunique persona that made you want to watch. He was also extremely adept at leading the roundtable format. No offense to Wingo or Kolber but he will be sorely missed.

Said no one who isn't long been over Bert Be Home Blyleven. It was a great approach for 18 months 30 years ago.

I am shocked there are people who want to watch Chris Berman on television. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything worse than a broadcast with him on lead for baseball or golf.

Reaction Score
Just don't let him be the lead or anything else for that matter, in a golf tournament. Plain pitiful.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I've seen him a few times at the GHO/Travelers Championship... He was large and sweaty.

Reaction Score
Guy epitomizes doosh bag.

Not even a little. I know Chris personally, he's a family friend, So for you to say he epitomizes doosh bag means you've never met the guy. He's always been great to me and my family and I wish him nothing but the best. He was a huge part of building ESPN with his big personality. I don't understand where any of the hate for this guy comes from.

Reaction Score
Not even a little. I know Chris personally, he's a family friend, So for you to say he epitomizes doosh bag means you've never met the guy. He's always been great to me and my family and I wish him nothing but the best. He was a huge part of building ESPN with his big personality. I don't understand where any of the hate for this guy comes from.

I've met him numerous times in business dealings. He's not a good guy.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
His shtick when out with the 90's. He's been on glamour detail for well over a decade and at least 3 hairpieces.

He was the pioneer of cable news (yes sports counts as news) along with Tom Mees and Bob Ley. He created the space for Patrick, Olbermann, Van Pelt, and the lot of them. He also holds a token amount or responsibility for the rise of news-tainment.

But that is not today, if he were a hall of fame baseball player in his day, then today he's an automatic out.

Reaction Score
I don't understand where any of the hate for this guy comes from.
No opinion on him personally. Just can't stand his broadcasting style. As others have already noted, it is long past its prime.

Reaction Score
Having been around all three of them.... Wingo and Kolber are at least decent people. When I was just out of college and at ESPN - Kolber and Fowler were tremendous to me.

ESPN will never have a decent NFL pregame show - but I think it would be better with Kolber than Wingo she is an absolute pro and seems to have less patience for nonsense on air.

Wingo has a sneer that he thinks is funny but comes across as condescending.
For several years he hosted the women's NCAAs, and it was obvious that he had no respect for the sport he was covering. Problem is that his viewers did, and didnt appreciate his lack of interest.
His replacement Dari Nowkhah is 10 zillion times better.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

It's true I've never met him, so I guess I can't comment on the guy personally.

That being said, I absolutely cannot stand his on air personality and find him to be extremely annoying.

Not for nothing but over the years I've read many different anecdotes from people in CT who've had less than ideal encounters with the guy too.

Reaction Score
It's true I've never met him, so I guess I can't comment on the guy personally.

That being said, I absolutely cannot stand his on air personality and find him to be extremely annoying.

Not for nothing but over the years I've read many different anecdotes from people in CT who've had less than ideal encounters with the guy too.

This is neither out of character nor an isolated incident.

Reaction Score
so i'm guessing you've never gotten angry and went on a rant at work then? the only diffrence is this one was on camera.

I've spent a considerable amount of time around him. I've seen both the good and bad sides. That wasn't an isolated incident. You can believe whatever you wish. I'm sure he's good to you and your family. I've seen him be really nice with fans and others. But there's the other side of him that comes out frequently that makes you want to punch him in the face. Not a guy I'd want to hang out with and have beers with. My opinion based on first hand experience. No need to let it bother you so much.

Reaction Score
Berman was a Whalers fan, so he can't be all bad. Used to like him on NFL Primetime 20 years ago - he and Tom Jackson always made for good narration of highlights. Helped build ESPN to what it is (or should I say, used to be). Don't know about his off-air personality but he was good in his heyday.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Remember him from his days at WNVR 5000 watts in Naugy. Him and Bob Sagendorf on "Calling all Sports" nightly sports show. Sorta like a Mike and the Mad Dog thing.
Then to ch20 sportscaster on wknds
(i think, or 30) then to the fledgling network.

Reaction Score
I am shocked there are people who want to watch Chris Berman on television. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything worse than a broadcast with him on lead for baseball or golf.

Agree. There are few announcers who make me turn off the TV faster than Berman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom