OT: Augusts Tech Tips® | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Augusts Tech Tips®

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I guess I'll throw one out there for Android users: Clean Master (Boost & AppLock)

It's an all in one optimization app.

1. Usually, I shun these things, but this one has a bunch of particularly nice features bundled in it.
2. It's got a 4.7 score on 33,759,157 votes in the Play score, so you've got a good idea it's legit.
3. It's free.
4. Features:

AppLock
AppLock can lock Facebook, SMS, Contacts, Gallery, or any other apps you choose. With AppLock, only you can see the photos you protect. Guarding your privacy is easier than ever!
Battery Saver
Battery Saver help to analyze battery status and hiberate running apps to save power. With Battery Saver, you can stop apps that waste lots of power and extend your battery life in 1 tap.
iSwipe
iSwipe gives you quick access to other apps and tools without having to go back to your homescreen.
JUNK FILE CLEANING
The junk-creating behavior of millions of apps has been analyzed so that Clean Master can efficiently hone in on its targets (cache and residual files) with perfect accuracy. Delete cache and residual files to reclaim storage, boost speed and improve the performance of your device and SD card.
MEMORY BOOST
Boost your games and apps, free up memory (RAM), speed up your device and save more battery. Our 1 Tap Boost and Game Boost features make it easy to optimize directly from your homescreen.
CPU COOLER
Cool off your device by finding and stopping the apps that are causing it to overheat and make your battery last longer!
ANTIVIRUS
Ranked #1 by AV-TEST for the seventh time! A professional quality antivirus service scans devices in just 8 seconds, 500% faster than other paid antivirus apps. Scan the system, pre-installed and user-installed apps to keep your device safe from viruses, trojans, vulnerabilities, adware and spyware. Keep your privacy safe by scrubbing personal info from your device.
APP MANAGER
Uninstall unwanted apps or bloatware and back up important ones. Some rooted devices will be able to move apps to the SD card as well as uninstall pre-installed and system apps. Our own Picks section lets you find useful apps that match your interests.
Game Booster
Automatically improve your game speeds by 30%+ when launching games.
Autostart Manager
Prevent apps from autostarting to speed up your device. (Root needed for this feature)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Well for starters why do you use the outlook lite for the client connection? Can you not make a direct exchange connection on the android via OWA?

You are asking a few different questions which is fine but we're going to need to separate.

I mean on the surface your request seems easy in that the android calendar can sync all together via color code. This is obvious which I'm sure you know. So I'm going to assume you don't need help there. If in wrong let me know.

Same with Email. Are you not running " combined view" ?

What am I missing?

However you are mentioning some different issues too with meeting invites not showing up.
That can be an issue that I've seen there are some workarounds but I've seen it unsolved too depending on a few factors.

So.....

I need a little more info.
What are the calendar/ meeting requests originating from, outlook ( exchange ) to gmail? Gmail to gmail ? Exchange to exchange? By exchange I mean outlook based.
None of you issues seem to be troubling except the meeting invites that needs to be dug into a little.

The client server is accessed on site or through a password secure internet domain. It's separate from the others. The client uses web outlook and you can use Outlook lite on mobile devices as it's slowwwwww. The only mobile access is through the phones internet browser, so reading sux and composing is downright impossible.

The real problem with the android calendar. It defaults to the provider account email address for the phone. I'd like to be able to quickly add an appt, to the phone calendar. I don't even need it to sync as I'm not sitting in front of a desktop very often. I'm pulling from 4 different environments. Personal ISP, corporate enterprise, client outlook, and gmail. I have all my email except the client outlook account. Individually downloading .vcs files and not being able to read the appointment headers in the moblie email environment are the real pains.

Reaction Score
Love me some Macros. Tell me how to automate my boneyard account with replies, postings and such, so I don't have to visit but once a month.
That would be nice but guess what? Me thinks I would still peek daily, but in this case I would just be testing to see if the macros are working. ;)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Ok I've been on 3 planes to get from Hartford to Grand Rapids Michigan today ( don't ask)

Anyway in my frustration with Delta I found a hack for getting free wifi with their on plane Gogo wifi hotspots. Worked on all 3 flights. So I made lemonade out of lemons there :)

Pm me if you fly Delta with any frequency and are interested . I'm going to type it up when I get to the hotel tonight.

Out of respect for Tom I won't post directly on here.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ok I've been on 3 planes to get from Hartford to Grand Rapids Michigan today ( don't ask)

Anyway in my frustration with Delta I found a hack for getting free wifi with their on plane Gogo wifi hotspots. Worked on all 3 flights. So I made lemonade out of lemons there :)

Pm me if you fly Delta with any frequency and are interested . I'm going to type it up when I get to the hotel tonight.

Out of respect for Tom I won't post directly on here.

Is it the type of trick that can be 'adjusted' for other carriers?

August_West

Reaction Score
Is it the type of trick that can be 'adjusted' for other carriers?

If you want to pay for my trial trips, I'm sure we can deliver for you.
A trip to the Caribbean on the airline of your choice for CTmike and I should provide plenty of research testing.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If you want to pay for my trial trips, I'm sure we can deliver for you.
A trip to the Caribbean on the airline of your choice for CTmike and I should provide plenty of research testing.

If you eat only turkey and ketchup for the entire week, possibly. CTmike? No, don't trust that guy at all.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
If you are taking requests, here is one my IT people can't seem to solve.

I have 6 email accounts/4 calendars that I have to juggle
Personal (ISP) - informal
Personal - spam
Personal - formal
Corporate (Enterprise/Third Party Hosted Domain)
Client (Outlook Enterprise Remote On-line access)
Public (Gmail)

Is there an app that will allow me to combine these (esp the calendars) on my android phone? Currently, I can access all but the client email directly. The client email is accessed through the very tired browser based Outlook lite. The schedules are the worst. The meeting requests don't show up in the android mail app. I need to download the .vcs files to the phone individually and can't respond to Outlook appt's. The phone has it's own gmail account used solely for provider signup that I never look at.

I'm probably asking too much on the client server, but if the others can be integrated, I can just use an auto forward rule for those.

I supposed I could set up a private server and force everyone to use that email address, but that doesn't sound so smart.
I'm pretty sure Gmail can do all of that for you. I use it and have 4 email accounts and it ties to my calendar and work calendar as well. The main issue with Gmail is you have to check the forums on how to set up sometimes.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The iOS version is basically stand-alone - you won't need to do anything to it.

Themes, options to load desktop or mobile versions of sites, ad-blockers, etc.

It loads ESPN fine - I haven't had the same issue, although that website is a pain in the ass in general.

I'm pretty sure ESPNs goal is to make their website worse with each successive style change. I don't even both anymore. Who ever decided that the best method for delivering content on the web to mobile devices was to make a single never ending page needs to be taken out, beaten for a few hours (by me), then shot. Not everything needs to be delivered via a tumblr like feed or a slide show! (Get off my lawn!)

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Anybody have any good web browser recommendations for iOS? I use Mercury Web Browser (and Atomic Web Browser before that) and I like it well enough but it has a few quirks that have grown tiresome and can crash at times. I can't stand Safari. I don't mind paying for a fully featured decent one either, but would like to hear some thoughts on them first.

Chrome is the best mobile web browser. Basically if Google makes some kind of software you should utilize it

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Chrome can be a battery suck on iPhone.

Correct, and Google has talked extensively about how the software is currently too large and they are doing things to shrink it. However, it's still easily the best browser.

Reaction Score
Im going to drop pearls of wisdom to make your lives easier from time to time. Will use this thread to do so.

Here's the first.
You've got to step up your game if you don't want competition:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I guess I'll throw one out there for Android users: Clean Master (Boost & AppLock)

It's an all in one optimization app.

1. Usually, I shun these things, but this one has a bunch of particularly nice features bundled in it.
2. It's got a 4.7 score on 33,759,157 votes in the Play score, so you've got a good idea it's legit.
3. It's free.

In an incredibly rare occurrence, I'm wrong. This app used to be good, but since update, now sucks. It's a recommended uninstall from several intelligent sources. Verdict: Avoid

temery

What?
Reaction Score
He's one for the hardware expert:

I have the hard drives from three old computers that have been retired. On one, possibly two, is the contents of the 'yard from 1998 to late '99, and possible the various other times were were not with a network. All posts and chat logs.

What the easiest way to access this info? I'd need to use a ten year old laptop, or a new(er) MacBook Pro.

August_West

Reaction Score
Any would do it. But let me give a disclaimer .
I prefer the ones that carry a separate power supply in addition to the usb connector, especially if the drives are old and important. Strictly getting drive power from USB port can be dodgy .

August_West

Reaction Score
Yes. Shouldn't be an issue but let me ask. Where were the old drives from? ( what machine brand not important, just PC or Mac and OS)

August_West

Reaction Score
Also @temery if you're nervous about it. ill put this out there. You could just give the drives to me ( I have good equipment at work for this ) I'll put all the data on a thumb drive for you and send back all the drives for safe keeping and the thumb drive ( which I'll provide myself with return shipping at my own expense) no charge for any of this.

It's just easy for me to do with my equipment I'd be happy to do it for you in return for the years you've provided this playpen for us.

Reaction Score
Any would do it. But let me give a disclaimer .
I prefer the ones that carry a separate power supply in addition to the usb connector, especially if the drives are old and important. Strictly getting drive power from USB port can be dodgy .

I've been using one I got off a new egg (ORICO 6619US3-BK SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5" and 3.5" HDD, SSD [8TB Support]-Newegg.com). I initially bought it to transfer old drives when upgrading computers. But then, I upgraded my work from home laptop (hooked into three screens and turned into a desktop) to a solid state drive and used this to turn the old 1 tb internal drive into external storage. $ for $ you could go to pcpartpicker.com and buy a high capacity internal drive and turn it into external storage for exponentially less money then a WD external. Highly recommend it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I've been using one I got off a new egg

Has its own power source? And does it matter that old one is likely running windows 95?

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
Has its own power source? And does it matter that old one is like running windows 95?

No window 95 was "Fat" file system. Computers can still read that . Macs and PCs.

External power: drives need to be powered to spin the platters . The cables you and I linked pull power from USB port. Some cables come with separate wall plug to power the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom