OT at Rein's Deli | The Boneyard

OT at Rein's Deli

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
heading home from NYC and stopping by Rein's deli. I rarely get here. Even though it is am, they were kind enough to give me som pickles. That stuff is hard to come by where I live.

Sometimes I miss stuff from CT.

Reaction Score
Anytime I come back to Connecticut, I **Always** plan a stop at Rein's!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
heading home from NYC and stopping by Rein's deli. I rarely get here. Even though it is am, they were kind enough to give me som pickles. That stuff is hard to come by where I live.

Hmmm - while Reins is special for CT, hard to believe you couldn't find a deli in NYC that would blow it away! :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Rein's is pretty darn good for a deli in Vernon, CT. In that same complex, there's a Japanese place called OKI Asian Bistro that is very solid and relatively inexpensive. Meanwhile, Utsav, also in Vernon, is every bit as good if not better than an NYC Indian joint. I'm including the famous Restaurant Row on 6th between 1st and 2nd Avenues. Utsav is that damn good.

Living in Ellington as I do (and close to the Vernon border), I feel very fortunate to live out here and have so many good food options. The three places in Vernon I just mentioned, the stops in Manchester (from Cavey's to the places around Buckland Hills) and South Windsor, even Trattoria da Lepri in Ellington (all of three blocks from my house)- that's all really good stuff.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Another thumbs up to Utsav from me. Love that place.

Reaction Score

Dear Landsman - Never been to Rein's, and I'm sure it's great, but next time in NYC, I recommend the following joints to find the very best of the best [and after 50 years of surviving on virtually nothing but kosher deli fare, forget Zagat's. I am the virtuoso:D.

Second Avenue Deli - Matzo Ball Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup, Potato Pancakes
Ess-A-Bagel - Bagels
Katz's Deli - Corned Beef and Pastrami Sandwiches
The Pickle Guys - Pickles and Sours
Zabar's - Smoked Salmon and Whitefish
Russ and Daughters - Rugelach
Barney Greengrass - Lox, Eggs and Onions

[If any of these places fails to please, just send your name and address to me for a full refund and apology]

Reaction Score
Do they still have Carnegie Deli cheesecake? It was the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Rein's was a regular stop for us when we passed through. As good or better than anything we had near us when we lived in NJ.

Better than anything we have tried here in Tucson, although there is a small Kosher deli but we only went once; more of a grocery store really, although they do have tables. Schlomo and Vito's, a mixed deli / Italian restaurant concept, has many of the dishes we remember from deli's back east, but the Pastrami and Corned Beef isn't anything special. OTH, their Chicken Pot Pie is out of the world.

Reaction Score
I missed Stew Leonards' take-out foods in Danbury. I used to go to the Danbury Y swinning after work, then pick some foods in Stew Leonard's for dinner

Reaction Score
Many years ago, the best part of the exhausting, monthly Amherst drives to see my kids was learning that subs didn't have to be just cold piles of meat slapped on bread. Every trip had to include one stop driving up and another on the return to enjoy a previously unknown delight called 'hot grinders' smothered with melted, smoky mozzarella. Whodathunk. The first time was a revelation, and to this day I am grateful to Connecticut for grinders and UConn WBB.

T

TroyHouse66

And back in the old days...
A regular run, (at least once a week), from Troy House (West Campus) was to Allie John's, in scenic downtown Eagleville. A life-saving round of CBGs (cheese burger grinders) for the 4th floor crew and a case of Budweiser... (when we had money) or a case of Heffenrefer (when we didn't have money)... or a half keg of Bud (when we really had money).
Kudos to Fred Cooper who saved our lives the day of the 1st Super Bowl.
After months of starch-heavy University fare, a collection was taken & Fred hit up a friendly butcher in Bloomfield and came back with (about) a 25 lb roast beef. We roasted it on a charcoal BBQ spit between Troy & Shakespeare House, while the other houses (male and female) hung out of windows to grab a smell of heaven. Having clearing out one of the rooms whose occupants had departed on early grade returns, tables were set for a legendary Eat-and-Drop... half a dozen (or more) side dishes, piles of foil-wrapped potatoes, and libations of all descriptions.
By mutual pact, all held off on attacking the rare (and rarely seen) roast until the new football rulers were crowned... tables set, knives sharpened, pasta was sauced... (as were the 4th floor)... and reclining pillows & music produced.
Thereby ends the tale of the legendary "Eat & Drop"...

[G-d rest you well, Ma Giorgi... our Housemother and protector]

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You can't find a pickle in New York City?

Try this....

Go outside. Walk into the first commercial establishment you see.

They have pickles.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Dear Landsman - Never been to Rein's, and I'm sure it's great, but next time in NYC, I recommend the following joints to find the very best of the best [and after 50 years of surviving on virtually nothing but kosher deli fare, forget Zagat's. I am the virtuoso:D.

Second Avenue Deli - Matzo Ball Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup, Potato Pancakes
Ess-A-Bagel - Bagels
Katz's Deli - Corned Beef and Pastrami Sandwiches
The Pickle Guys - Pickles and Sours
Zabar's - Smoked Salmon and Whitefish
Russ and Daughters - Rugelach
Barney Greengrass - Lox, Eggs and Onions

[If any of these places fails to please, just send your name and address to me for a full refund and apology]

Let's not forget Sarge's on third Avenue with those wonderful lunch specials and 24-hour availability
My personal fav.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc