OT: Article about Boise State in WSJ | The Boneyard

OT: Article about Boise State in WSJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good read about our future conference mates. Love the anecdote below. This is what was missing when Hathaway was here. Hopefully WM will be proactive.

The school's president, Bob Kustra, seems to be doing everything he can to fill these existential gaps. In an interview, he recalled visiting the University of Georgia several years ago for an away football game and marveling at the red-and-white canopies that tailgaters had set up. "I said to my wife, 'We don't do that in Boise. We don't even have these little tent things that symbolize the fan energy of the day,'" he said. "So we came back and I said, 'Call up all the retail stores. Let's figure out if we can get the same kind of a deal.'"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444868204578064603099408038.html

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Actually is a pretty big dig at up-and-comers, calling anyone that is not part of the football establishment a 'plastic christmas tree'. Funny, thanks WSJ.

The portrayed Boise St pretty well though, and translated the wins to enrollment. It is also appropriate that they mention the boom that the community gets, more people considering a lively place to migrate to or stay in after college.

Interesting comment on the desire for the PAC12... will have a TCU situation there in some years, I bet. The travel east will make that an easier decision for them in the future unless we really gel and strengthen the west coast teams.

Reaction Score
Number of times the Big East is mentioned in the article=Zero

Every time I hear about Boise, it sounds like a nice place to live.

Reaction Score
Warde needs to call the companies that makes ambulances.

images

Reaction Score
Was referring to the tailgate ambulance that is alway in the blue lot.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this is exactly the stuff i talk about when i'm ranting about how we need to get to the next level as a fanbase. call up all the walmarts and cvs type stuff. go to the state and purpose a ban on red cups in this state. would that ever happen? no, but the news of that will have the effect needed and it will eventually get into everyones heads that this is BLUE nation.

U

UConn9604

this is exactly the stuff i talk about when i'm ranting about how we need to get to the next level as a fanbase. call up all the walmarts and cvs type stuff. go to the state and purpose a ban on red cups in this state. would that ever happen? no, but the news of that will have the effect needed and it will eventually get into everyones heads that this is BLUE nation.

I agree. Not sure if you went to the tailgate in Birmingham, but South Carolina had everything garnet and black -- flags flying from their campers, spare tire covers, tailgate tents, cups, chairs, hats, shirts, shoes, etc. You name it, they had it in garnet. That's the type of thing we need here. Granted, National Flag Blue is a pretty common color and it would be difficult to make it more common, but I'd like to try.

As an aside, one woman, who was probably in her mid-50s and was drinking a garnet-colored drink that I probably could have poured into my gas tank, came up to me and gave me a giant hug and said, "I'm so sorry about y'all's player [Jasper]. I love all my chickens [slang term for Gamecocks], black or white, and I don't know what I'd ever do if we lost one of 'em."

She was a complete and total stranger, and was completely and totally hammered at 10 am. No judging.

Reaction Score
When I read the article this AM the thing that stood out to me was the BSU pres "admitting" they would have to improve academic standing if they hoped to get into the Pac12. BE, not so much.

Reaction Score

Agree 100%. There are so many little things the athletic department/university could be doing. You don't have to hit a home run, just do all the small stuff and it will amount to big gains in developing the fan base and building a football culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom