OT - Army (athletics) rebranding | The Boneyard

OT - Army (athletics) rebranding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I seem to remember them being referred to as "the Black Knights of the Hudson" even when they were previously the Cadets. I think that played into the initial change.

Reaction Score
Whether it was official or not Army was known as the Black Knights of the Huson for generations. Nike probably couldn't find free clip art.

Reaction Score
I like Cadets better than Black Knights. Wasn't UCF the Black Knights a few years back too?

Reaction Score
Golden Knights.

I thought the Black Knights' logo was awesome.

Reaction Score
Golden Knights.

I thought the Black Knights' logo was awesome.

Tis but a scrath.. sorry, you had to know someone was going to post this
th

Reaction Score
I thought the second to last quote in the story show the true reason or the change.

"I'm all for it if it reverses the streak against Navy. We had more success with that when we were the Cadets,” Alex Moore, a captain with the 2002 Army football team added.
I don't care what they call themselves, Navy is still going to sink 'em :cool:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Really like that logo. Wish they'd display it more prominently on their helmets but I know there's the whole tradition bit of their helmets being all gold. Would be pretty cool to see that logo on the side on the helmet as an alternate or even with that camo helmet they used.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Whether it was official or not Army was known as the Black Knights of the Huson for generations.

It was unofficial - they were always officially the Cadets until the last rebranding.

I like everything they've done here...with the exception of the name.

It's not Army anymore...it's Army West Point.

Reaction Score
Didn't Army used to be called just "West Point"? I went to games when I was very young and always remember my dad and grandfather saying things like, "we are going to West Point" and "they are playing West Point". So, I always considered the team to be West Point rather than Army.

Reaction Score
Man, that log is slicker than deer guts on a doorknob...

Reaction Score
If you are ever in the area, take a drive on Storm King Highway just north of Army's main campus. It's only a 5 miles drive over to Cornwall; but, it a beautiful drive on the edge of a mountain overlooking the Hudson. It's like another world. Just note that the road is closed on Sundays (bikes only) and periodically due to weather.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
If you are ever in the area, take a drive on Storm King Highway just north of Army's main campus. It's only a 5 miles drive over to Cornwall; but, it a beautiful drive on the edge of a mountain overlooking the Hudson. It's like another world. Just note that the road is closed on Sundays (bikes only) and periodically due to weather.
Sounds like one for my Road Glide...

Reaction Score
Looks like a Michigan state spartan with a sword impailing the guy.
The logo is pulled from the USMA Coat of Arms (below - circa 1898 vs Spartans 1950s). Nike and the Administration oddly failed to mention that. As a grad I really like the new font and other changes, but everyone I have spoken to can't understand the "Army West Point" branding. Is it now the Army West Point - Navy Game? Colors, uniforms, logo, and new font all classic and simple, but the name change is just odd.
West_Point_coat_of_arms.jpg

Reaction Score
Change is good - as long as it means we end this ridiculous losing streak...

As Obi Wan once said, "from a certain point of view" I think the current winning streak (2002 to ?) is fantastic :)

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Officially it's the United States Military Academy, but over the years it has also been called West Point (location) and ofcourse Army (branch of service)

Plus it doesn't matter whether Army nor Navy decides to change their mascot, name, or colors. The United States Air Force Academy is the superior service academy: both academically and athletically. :cool:

Go Air Force
Beat Army
Sink Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members