Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
have you done it? I saw Morgan's (and I think KML) video

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I understand the desire to raise money for the cure of any disease, but approximately 30,000 people in the US have ALS compared to 29 million have diabetes. But you have to hand it to the ALS campaign as it has many focused on this disease.

Reaction Score
I understand the desire to raise money for the cure of any disease, but approximately 30,000 people in the US have ALS compared to 29 million have diabetes. But you have to hand it to the ALS campaign as it has many focused on this disease.

But most of the 29 million have type 2, which is prevented by not eating massive amounts of carbs and exercising at a moderate level. Or once you have it do a ketogenic diet. Type 1 you take insulin shots. Als does not have a cure.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My wife and her coworkers are doing it at work today.

Reaction Score
But most of the 29 million have type 2, which is prevented by not eating massive amounts of carbs and exercising at a moderate level. Or once you have it do a ketogenic diet. Type 1 you take insulin shots. Als does not have a cure.

And I don't believe there is much in the way of treatment either. Once you are diagnosed it can't be controlled never mind cured :(

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
With the total of funds raised now over $42 million that is the equivalent of over 30 years of the past annual giving to ALS. The awareness level has equally soared. Having had 3 members die of ALS during my minister I can say that it is one of the most horrendous and miserable deaths I have had to watch. As a person with Type 2 Diabetes I welcome the attention given to ALS.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Insulin is not a cure, either. If you think that it is as simple as taking insulin you are undereducated about diabetes. I am a Type 1 diabetic, as was my brother before his passing at the age of 42 due to complications of diabetes.

A few facts about diabetes.
  • Approximately 3 million Americans have T1 diabetes
  • Diabetes currently affects more than 371 million people worldwide and is expected to affect 552 million by 2030
  • In Africa, 76% of death due to diabetes are in adults aged under 60 years
  • Diabetes caused 5.1 million deaths in 2013, worldwide
  • 50% of people with diabetes die of cardiovascular disease (primarily heart disease and stroke)
  • T1D accounts for $14.9 billion in healthcare costs in the U.S. each year
  • Approximately 80 people per day (29,000 per year) —are diagnosed with T1D in the U.S.
  • While insulin injections or infusion allow a person with T1D to stay alive, they do not cure the disease, nor do they necessarily prevent the possibility of the disease’s serious effects, which may include: kidney failure, blindness, nerve damage, heart attack, stroke, and pregnancy complication
I am not saying that ALS is not worthy of attention and fundraising, but it just seems odd how so many people are enticed to dump buckets of water on their heads for a disease that affects so few, compared to other diseases for which they probably have never done a thing to help find a cure.

Reaction Score
Insulin is not a cure, either. If you think that it is as simple as taking insulin you are undereducated about diabetes. I am a Type 1 diabetic, as was my brother before his passing at the age of 42 due to complications of diabetes.

A few facts about diabetes.
  • Approximately 3 million Americans have T1 diabetes
  • Diabetes currently affects more than 371 million people worldwide and is expected to affect 552 million by 2030
  • In Africa, 76% of death due to diabetes are in adults aged under 60 years
  • Diabetes caused 5.1 million deaths in 2013, worldwide
  • 50% of people with diabetes die of cardiovascular disease (primarily heart disease and stroke)
  • T1D accounts for $14.9 billion in healthcare costs in the U.S. each year
  • Approximately 80 people per day (29,000 per year) —are diagnosed with T1D in the U.S.
  • While insulin injections or infusion allow a person with T1D to stay alive, they do not cure the disease, nor do they necessarily prevent the possibility of the disease’s serious effects, which may include: kidney failure, blindness, nerve damage, heart attack, stroke, and pregnancy complication
I am not saying that ALS is not worthy of attention and fundraising, but it just seems odd how so many people are enticed to dump buckets of water on their heads for a disease that affects so few, compared to other diseases for which they probably have never done a thing to help find a cure.

I didn't say it was easy having diabetes or that there are no possible complications. However, ALS on average is vastly worse. Type 1 diabetes is typically a disease that a person can manage themselves assuming that they have access to insulin, always use the insulin correctly, and take care of their overall health. On the other hand, ALS patients often require a team of people to care for them and no matter how much they do everything perfect to take care of themselves they are going to be in extremely rough shape and die fairly quickly.

Also, type 1 diabetes and type 2 are essentially completely different diseases that are classified under the same umbrella. You obviously know this, but most people pretty much have no clue. If a person has pancreatic burnout from type 2, then they are in rough shape. However, due to most people causing themselves to have type 2 diabetes there is a lack of sympathy from the general public. If I was trying to fundraise for type 1 research, then I would lobby to have diabetes reclassified so type 1 and 2 don't get lumped together under the diabetes umbrella.

The reason people feel compelled to help people who have ALS is because no matter what healthcare they receive or discipline they have there is no way of even managing it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
WE live in an extreme drought in Texas. Stop wasting water. Send a check.
In PA we have been soaked all summer. Most people do both the challenge and send a check. If you are truly worried about the 5-10 gallons of water used in the average ice bucket challenge which is far less than thee 25-50 gallons for the average morning shower I suggest you really focus on the billions of gallons used in fracking almost half of which are used in Texas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hello All, I noticed this thread and wanted to say something about this.

While I think it is great that this challenge has raised millions, last I heard something like 23 million since the start of the challenge... and it is more than they have ever raised.... and people should keep it up, I question why so many people are doing the challenge. If you have a chance check Youtube for Charlie Sheen. That is a way to do this challenge.

But I bring this up because I recently bumped into a few students of mine who saw me and they told me that they did the challenge and they posted it on facebook and they challenged their friends... yadda yadda yadda.... so I asked them what ALS is... they said a disease. I said okay what about the disease? What does it do? How does it affect people? Who comes down with it? Is it transmittable by touch? They just looked at me. And while I commended them for doing something and donating, I asked them why they did not go the extra step to research what ALS is..... what it does to the human body..... what a person living with this disease is going through.

Maybe I ruined their fun, maybe I should just be glad they donated to worthy cause, but shouldn't this, like everything else.... be an educational moment? Shouldn't the kids know why they are doing this? Shouldn't their parents encourage them to become better citizens not just by opening their piggie banks, but by finding out more information and being informed citizens?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The challenge has raised the awareness of many. Go to www.alsa.org if you want more information. And yes, raising awareness is just as important as the funds raised for the long term. As with anything their will be people with all different levels of involvement and commitment to the cause. I'll post the link to my video sometime tomorrow. I hope to address exactly some of the awareness issues in it.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Somewhat locally, about an 1.5 hours away from Louisville, 4 firefighters were injured while helping students at Campbellsville University participate in the challenge. I assume it is the latest challenge (ALS) that they were participating in as opposed to the Kay Yow challenge that started this off earlier this summer.

Details are slowly coming out, apparently firefighters extended their ladder and likely hit a power line with the ladder, electrocuting them.
4 firefighters in total were sent to hospitals. Two released rather quickly, two others brought here to Louisville to a trauma hospital with more serious injuries. Of the two in Louisville, one is in critical condition, the other has been upgraded to fair or good condition.

I say details are slowly coming out b/c last night our local news said the ladder did not hit a power line, but the talk is electrocution and power was knocked out all over the campus and the surrounding (very small) town. Not sure what exactly happened, but the injuries are serious. None of the students participating were injured, to my knowledge.
It is a tragic situation, all in an effort to do good and help a very worthy cause.

Prayers, good thoughts, whatever or however you send good intentions out into the universe, these firefighters could sure use them.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I can't believe that folks in this thread were starting any kind of argument about the relative merits of fund raising for a particular disease. All are deserving in my book.

As to ALS, another semi-celebrity who is suffering is the "Cake Boss", Buddy Valastro's mother, who actually owned the bakery when the show started (for all I know she still does). They have been open on the show about her fight, and while I am sure it was "staged" showed a scene where Buddy asked what you do going forward and the doctor said "make her as comfortable as possible". Horrible disease.

As to type 2 diabetes I am also disappointed that someone proclaimed on behalf of the general public that there is "no sympathy" for sufferers. That seems to be the way the world is going. Sadly. I have lots of sympathy. My wife has it mildly, induced by steroids to treat a serious illness. She had no sugar issues until started on high doses of Prednisone and her doctor informed her from the start that she was going to have diabetes going forward. Recently, off the steroid after 5 years of mostly low dosage, her sugar has been much better (although probably not quite ok, however, she hasn't been using her maintenance insulin as it has been causing low sugar attacks).

I have high sugar, borderline diabetic, due to eating a bit too much, and I am overweight. However, I now walk 3 miles 3 times a week to up my metabolism by Doctor's orders, made some adjustments in my food, visit doctors as requested and - thus far - don't have any other issues except controlled high blood pressure that I've taken pills for over 30 years. So no, I don't condemn folks who have diabetes any more than I condemn folks who smoke - which I quit some time ago and am so happy that I did.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
WE live in an extreme drought in Texas. Stop wasting water. Send a check.

It's not a problem in Connecticut. I did the challenge and sent a check. I also donated to Save The Redwoods at the same time because it's also a cause I care about very much.

The EPA has said the challenge isn't a problem, just be conscious of what you're doing when do it. Stand in a place that needs to be watered, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom