Ortiz locks up HOF | The Boneyard

Ortiz locks up HOF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The guy is/was a borderline case with arguments both ways ..... (Not even counting the steroid questions and voters who may not count him)

Think he locked it up last night with the grand slam in that spot....just an off the charts postseason performer. He is a walking Disney sports movie....

Reaction Score
The guy is/was a borderline case with arguments both ways ..... (Not even counting the steroid questions and voters who may not count him)

Think he locked it up last night with the grand slam in that spot....just an off the charts postseason performer. He is a walking Disney sports movie....

hes still borderline, if Arod, Bonds, Manny, and Clemens dont get in then neither will Ortiz. And yes you the fact that he took steroids will count against him. He hit a cookie from Benoit, props to him for taking advantage but relax and put the D down.

Reaction Score
hes still borderline, if Arod, Bonds, Manny, and Clemens dont get in then neither will Ortiz. And yes you the fact that he took steroids will count against him. He hit a cookie from Benoit, props to him for taking advantage but relax and put the D down.
No record of Ortiz taking steroids. If he doesn't get in to the HOF it will be because writers won't vote in a DH.

Reaction Score
No record of Ortiz taking steroids. If he doesn't get in to the HOF it will be because writers won't vote in a DH.

Nor is there a record of Bonds or Clemens taking steroids, aside from whether he took Steroids or not the OP said he is a lock for the HOF which he is not. Do you think hes a lock for the HOF just a simple yes or no?

Reaction Score
Now a lock....given hitting records for DH and postseason off the charts clutchness the likes of which no one has ever seen for a hitter...ever.

Reaction Score

I do think he will end up making the HOF but hes not a lock. Do you know what the definition of a lock means? If you have to think about him being a HOF or discuss it then he is not a lock. A lock is a first ballot HOF which he is not. Im just responding to your thread title.

Reaction Score
By that definition...I agree he is not a lock. Likely not a first ballot guy.

I think he definitely gets in ... With last night sewing that up.

Reaction Score

Nope........can't be. It's baseball, he needs to wear the glove. Or else I guess we need to open up the HOF for guys like Mark Belanger who hit .211 but made ALL the plays so really he was important in one aspect of the game like Papi??? No way he gets in unless they open up a new room for DH's........

Reaction Score

No he's clean.......:oops:........just an amazing resurrection!! LOL.......

Guys clutch but he's right there with the rest of them Danzz and there's no doubt about it!

Great clutch hitter though within the boundaries of what they all do now......one of the best ever........

Reaction Score
Nope........can't be. It's baseball, he needs to wear the glove. Or else I guess we need to open up the HOF for guys like Mark Belanger who hit .211 but made ALL the plays so really he was important in one aspect of the game like Papi??? No way he gets in unless they open up a new room for DH's........

Ozzie Smith got in for basically his glove only.

DH really has to earn it by stats and performance given one dimension.....just as a closer does.

Ortiz has.

Reaction Score
I do think he will end up making the HOF but hes not a lock. Do you know what the definition of a lock means? If you have to think about him being a HOF or discuss it then he is not a lock. A lock is a first ballot HOF which he is not. Im just responding to your thread title.[/quot
Why don't you go back and read my post again and maybe you can figure it out. If I think some writers won't vote for a DH then no I don't think he is a "lock." Steroids will have nothing to do with it.

Reaction Score

Forgive me I thought I was responding to the OP who said Ortiz is a lock my bad

Reaction Score
No he's clean.......:oops:........just an amazing resurrection!! LOL.......

Guys clutch but he's right there with the rest of them Danzz and there's no doubt about it!

Great clutch hitter though within the boundaries of what they all do now......one of the best ever........
You think most of the better players are dirty. Other than Jeter which HOF candidates do you think are clean? I'm not saying Ortiz didn't juice but there is no evidence that he did nor has he been investigated. If he doesn't make the HOF it will be because not enough writers will vote for a DH.

Reaction Score
and dont be so sure that Ortiz never took steroids

Reaction Score
You think most of the better players are dirty. Other than Jeter which HOF candidates do you think are clean? I'm not saying Ortiz didn't juice but there is no evidence that he did nor has he been investigated. If he doesn't make the HOF it will be because not enough writers will vote for a DH.

He was on the list Danzz c'mon please!! It's a joke if you think he's clean.......

And if he gets in then they better find room for Mattingly or else it would be a joke........and i don't think Donnie deserves it but open that DH can o'worms and you need to put a guy in who had similar stats per year and won 9 Gold Gloves that's for sure!!!

The argument for so many others grows if they let a guy in who is a hitter only.......again it's baseball, 4/5 tool guys not one tool! He can't run the bases, he can't field, doesn't have to throw or catch......c'mon that would be a mockery of the game!

Reaction Score

Ortiz failed the same test A-Rod did, the only one he failed. It is talked about repeatedly on any sports radio show. The test that was supposed to be anonymous. But A-Rods, Sosa, Ortiz and a couple others were leaked.

Reaction Score
Ortiz failed the same test A-Rod did, the only one he failed. It is talked about repeatedly on any sports radio show. The test that was supposed to be anonymous. But A-Rods, Sosa, Ortiz and a couple others were leaked.

Thank you.........the only reason there's a difference is it's ARod, the superstar and a** hole.........with Papi he said "...what are you talking about?..." and the media said Oh he's a nice guy, love him let's leave him alone.....and you know what, he is a nicer guy than ARod no doubt.........but he also has something in common = cheater!

Reaction Score
Thank you.........the only reason there's a difference is it's ARod, the superstar and a* hole.........with Papi he said "...what are you talking about?..." and the media said Oh he's a nice guy, love him let's leave him alone.....and you know what, he is a nicer guy than ARod no doubt.........but he also has something in common = cheater!

I was listening to Francessa a few weeks ago and they got into an hour long discussion on why Ortiz was given a pass for steroids. Pretty much everyone said because he is a nice guy who is always smiling.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The steroids stick is going to knock Ortiz out of any HOF consideration.

I mean, come on now...

He supposedly ended up on the infamous 2003 'list' and that's when he conveniently started whacking 40+ home runs a year - the guy is a nothing until he ends up in the Boston pharmacy at age 28.

Reaction Score
No way is Ortiz making the Hall, they have made it pretty clear they aren't voting in cheaters, Bonds and Clemens got shut out of the Hall and you think Ortiz is a lock? What planet are you on, Bagwell isn't getting in and there is absolutely nothing on him taking steroids they just look at the era he played in and how he got bulkier.

Reaction Score
I don't care whether Ortiz is in a museum or not, but for a very large generation of baseball fans David Ortiz is now Mr. October and what Ortiz has done in the postseason easily eclipses Reggie Jackson's postseason accomplishments.

Reaction Score
Is Edgar Martinez in?

Obviously no, and he's the best comparison. Since most HOF voters pay attention only to the triple crown stats, Martinez has a much higher BA, and there are significant leads for Ortiz in HR and RBI. Martinez' postseason numbers are well below his career regular season averages, and Ortiz' are roughly in line.

Absent the steroid issue, he probably gets in eventually. There are plenty of marginal defensive players in the Hall. But the connection to the Mitchell report will keep him out for so long as the voters continue to block anyone that even might be connected to PEDs

I think the "Designated Hitters don't belong" argument is silly. The rules include the DH. The position exists, and someone who was the best in the league at that position for a decade or more deserves consideration.

I get the feeling that if Mariano wore a "B" on his hat instead of a "NY", Yankee fans would be arguing that closers don't belong in the Hall . . .

Reaction Score
I don't care whether Ortiz is in a museum or not, but for a very large generation of baseball fans David Ortiz is now Mr. October and what Ortiz has done in the postseason easily eclipses Reggie Jackson's postseason accomplishments.

In the conversation but easily? Has Ortiz won back to back rings on 2 different teams, Manny was the straw that stirred the drink on the Sox 2 title teams. Manny is more comparable to Reggie then Ortiz is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom