Orlovsky's chances for starting somewhere? | The Boneyard

Orlovsky's chances for starting somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Indy?
He will get another backup deal but has he shown anyone he can start? I think so but I'm a UCONN homer.

Reaction Score
I'm a Texans fan and from all accounts, his tenure there was not pretty. Struggled to pick up the offense and then got passed by Leinart.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sign somewhere and hope other QB's get hurt.

Reaction Score
Not a starter, but I think his time in Indy definitely prolonged his career in the NFL. He'll be kept around as a back-up for a while now.

Reaction Score
20 career games played with 12 INT and 11 fumbles. 2,800 yards with 14 TDs is low for 20 games as well. Not exactly what a team is looking for in a starting QB. Also will turn 29 next season, so he really wouldn't be a youthful experiment either. Seems more of a backup QB that you can trust enough not to lose the game while keeping the offensive gameplan mostly the same.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
He took a team that was destined to go 0-16 with the backup in and won a couple games as the 3rd string starter. The team actually didn't look that horrible with him in either. I think they could have won 4 or 5 games with him starting all year which would make them a normal bad team instead of making a run for one of the worst teams in recent memory. That stint was probably enough to earn him another 3 years as a backup on the back end of his career. Really happy for him.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Indy?
He will get another backup deal but has he shown anyone he can start? I think so but I'm a UCONN homer.

I doubt it. He is not NFL starter material. That said, Jimmy Clausen started half a season in the league, so anything is possible.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
The Colts are not going to pay Peyton Manning another $28m in March. They will pick Luck with the first pick.

I could see them signing DO to start the first couple of games. No need to rush Luck behind what likely will be a rebuilt O-line.
Painter did not help himself last year. I do not know if there is another veteran QB that the Colts would want to bring in to mentor Luck.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised Orlovsky didn't get a shot sooner. Painter was pathetic. Orlovsky held his own, led them to 1 or 2 wins and did a pretty good job.

Reaction Score
It would be nice if Luck refuses to play for the Colts.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
20 career games played with 12 INT and 11 fumbles. 2,800 yards with 14 TDs is low for 20 games as well. Not exactly what a team is looking for in a starting QB. Also will turn 29 next season, so he really wouldn't be a youthful experiment either. Seems more of a backup QB that you can trust enough not to lose the game while keeping the offensive gameplan mostly the same.

I know, but it's also true that he's never really had a fair shot or a decent group of receivers to throw to. All I keep thinking is that it's really too bad he got drafted by Detroit. I know he was throwing to Calvin Johnson during the 0-16 year, but they didn't exactly have the best players around him at the time. He reminds me a bit of a poor man's Alex Smith. Too many coaches and coordinators... no stability at all.

As to starting this year his numbers this year were pretty decent. If you disregard the fact that he only played in a limited number of games he was right in the middle of the pack in terms of passing rating and completion percentage. I think though the thread is pretty right on. He'll get a backup gig next year. Heck if he was on the Bears this year maybe they're in the playoffs when Cutler went down.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
He hasn't had a fair shot!!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
He hasn't had a fair shot!!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was talking about in Detroit, sorry I didn't make that too clear. He went through multiple coaches and coordinators, had hometown hero Drew Stanton drafted the year after he was... and then was thrown to the wolves during the 0-16 season.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but i thought Dan O. was always ahead of Stanton on the depth chart during his time in Detroit. Dan replaced Kitna (I think) half way thru the 0-16 season while Stanton continued to hold a clip board. A friend of mine from HS lives in Detroit, and is buddies w/ Stanton. He had good things to say about Dan (seemed like he and Stanton got along pretty well), but my friend was always frustrated that Stanton never got a 'fair shot' while Dan was there (sound familiar).

Listen, I hope Dan makes the most out of the rest of his career in the NFL, and would love to see him starting the remainder if it, but to say he hasn't had a fair shot is not true. Put another way, if he had played his college ball at Rutgers or BCU, and you looked at his opportunities, would you be saying he didn't get a fair shot?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Put another way, if he had played his college ball at Rutgers or BCU, and you looked at his opportunities, would you be saying he didn't get a fair shot?
To be fair, I don't think anyone who got drafted by Detroit during the Millen era got a fair shot. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom