Orlando Sentinel - College Football Countdown: No. 71 UConn | The Boneyard

Orlando Sentinel - College Football Countdown: No. 71 UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Orlando Sentinel college insider Matt Murschel ranked all 128 Football Bowl Subdivision teams in the country entering the 2015-16 season. The Sentinel staff takes a closer look at a new team daily, counting backward from No. 128 to our projected No. 1 team. Orlando Sentinel College Football Countdown: Ranking all 128 FBS teams

College Football Countdown: No. 71 UConn

>>Outlook: UConn could be a sleeper team in the AAC East, with USF the early favorite. With seven returners on offense, the Huskies should be able to put more points on the board to help its chances of earning a second consecutive bowl bid.<<

P.S. - They had us @ 120 last year.

Reaction Score
Orlando Sentinel college insider Matt Murschel ranked all 128 Football Bowl Subdivision teams in the country entering the 2015-16 season. The Sentinel staff takes a closer look at a new team daily, counting backward from No. 128 to our projected No. 1 team. Orlando Sentinel College Football Countdown: Ranking all 128 FBS teams

>>Outlook: UConn could be a sleeper team in the AAC East, with USF the early favorite. With seven returners on offense, the Huskies should be able to put more points on the board to help its chances of earning a second consecutive bowl bid.<<

We're making quiet ripples right now, but the tidal wave that is UCONN football will hit in Sept.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Doesn't UConn have 10 returning starters on offense?

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Other AAC and P5 teams below 71 (all OOC opponents below list)

73 Arizona State
74 Georgia Tech
75 Kansas State
76 Tulsa
79 Kentucky
80 California
81 Indiana
82 East Carolina
83 Boston College
84 Missouri
86 Syracuse
90 UCF
93 Vanderbilt
96 Maryland
98 Virginia
101 Rutgers
102 Colorado
103 Wake Forest
106 Illinois
114 Iowa State
116 Oregon State
119 Purdue
120 Kansas
122 SMU
126 Tulane

The fans of all the listed P5 schools would scream if UConn was considered for their conference, because we are just so terrible at football.

Reaction Score
The fans of all the listed P5 schools would scream if UConn was considered for their conference, because we are just so terrible at football.
Lets win some games first, then proceed to make the case. I think we will have a lot of crow about this year, especially if the OLine shows improvement.

Reaction Score
Doesn't UConn have 10 returning starters on offense?
Wouldn't be the first mistake in this article, the original version had us losing to Houston last year....

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
We could easily go 3-0 against the ACC this year; play them in a bowl game (is that possible?) and win and we could have more ACC wins than BC/Syracuse combined

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Problem with this scenario is that everyone assumes BC, 'Cuse, and Virginia are either going to falter out of the gate or continue to just be plain awful again. SU and UVA have new coaches and will be afforded an adjustment period. BC isn't expected to more than marginally improve if they do at all.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Problem with this scenario is that everyone assumes BC, 'Cuse, and Virginia are either going to falter out of the gate or continue to just be plain awful again. SU and UVA have new coaches and will be afforded an adjustment period. BC isn't expected to more than marginally improve if they do at all.
Agree on your point that UVA and SU could be wins due to coaching adjustments. Don't agree that BC isn't expected to Improve..they lost their qb and running back last year to injury. Hilliman will be back and qb will be as well, though pat towles may start as a grad transfer. Add a top 20 D and they could win six games with a weak OOC and a few mediocre ACC opponents

Reaction Score
As far as BC,at that point in the season it will hinge on who is still on the field for both sides.

Reaction Score
We will have a chance, this year, to do our talking on the field, the only place where it really matters.

Reaction Score
Continuing on with the countdown... they're down to #60:
60 Colorado State
61 Ohio

62 Memphis
63 Middle Tennessee
64 NC State
65 Arkansas State
66 Louisiana Tech

67 Navy
68 Duke
69 BYU
70 Texas Tech

I think that is generous for where navy will actually be this season. I believe they will take a HUGE step backwards (what are the odds for Army to beat Navy right now in Vegas? could be a good early bet to jump on if the odds are long enough). They not only lose arguably the most productive and effective QB (in their current offensive system) to ever play there, but 10 of 11 starters on OL (the entire starting OL is gone) where the one returning starter is a WR - not the position in a Navy offense that is going to keep you up at night game-planning for; half of their D starters are gone - most of their DL and 3/4's of their secondary. I am very happy we get them earlier in the season, before they have too much time to gel.

Reaction Score
60 Colorado State
61 Ohio

62 Memphis
63 Middle Tennessee
64 NC State
65 Arkansas State
66 Louisiana Tech

67 Navy
68 Duke
69 BYU
70 Texas Tech

I think that is generous for where navy will actually be this season. I believe they will take a HUGE step backwards (what are the odds for Army to beat Navy right now in Vegas? could be a good early bet to jump on if the odds are long enough). They not only lose arguably the most productive and effective QB (in their current offensive system) to ever play there, but 10 of 11 starters on OL (the entire starting OL is gone) where the one returning starter is a WR - not the position in a Navy offense that is going to keep you up at night game-planning for; half of their D starters are gone - most of their DL and 3/4's of their secondary. I am very happy we get them earlier in the season, before they have too much time to gel.

I have serious issues with this type of list. So they are saying Ohio is 40 spots better than Rutgers and nearly that many spots better than Maryland and Virginia?

96 Maryland
98 Virginia
101 Rutgers

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
60 Colorado State
61 Ohio

62 Memphis
63 Middle Tennessee
64 NC State
65 Arkansas State
66 Louisiana Tech

67 Navy
68 Duke
69 BYU
70 Texas Tech

Memphis? Minus their hot shot QB they will fall hard. UConn will be better than Memphis.

Reaction Score
60 Colorado State
61 Ohio

62 Memphis
63 Middle Tennessee
64 NC State
65 Arkansas State
66 Louisiana Tech

67 Navy
68 Duke
69 BYU
70 Texas Tech

There is additional problem with ranking Navy so high. As the Middies continue to play in the conference, the triple option will become less of a mystery. Opposing coaches and players will have have seen and played against it, and also seen and played against the personnel who are operating it, multiple times. That alone should make it less effective.

Reaction Score
Agree on your point that UVA and SU could be wins due to coaching adjustments. Don't agree that BC isn't expected to Improve..they lost their qb and running back last year to injury. Hilliman will be back and qb will be as well, though pat towles may start as a grad transfer. Add a top 20 D and they could win six games with a weak OOC and a few mediocre ACC opponents

Is that top 20 D taking into consideration the coaching of PP at Dline?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I have serious issues with this type of list. So they are saying Ohio is 40 spots better than Rutgers and nearly that many spots better than Maryland and Virginia?

96 Maryland
98 Virginia
101 Rutgers

Yes, I have a problem with that also. I follow Ohio slightly (my Dad's alma mater). I think we're better than they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom