Openly wondering if they're cheating.... | The Boneyard

Openly wondering if they're cheating....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just a little clip, that makes me smile on gameday.

Obviously, this is a bit extreme, for the game of football.......but....

Good God Almighty, I hope our players show up - ALL OF THEM - ready to do some physical damage.

Controlled violence. Aggression. Lining up and knocking the guy across from you, the guy you're supposed to hit - down.

Reaction Score
Carl, you missed the part about the Vertical Passing Game. UConn could probably use one since they've been without one for so long. Kenny Stabler and Daryl Lamonica (the Mad Bomber) before him use to torch defenses with the Vertical Passing game. Coincidentally, after the Snake left followed by Jim Plunkett in the early '80s, the QB position fell into long term mediocrity and with it went the "Raider rep and aura".

Reaction Score
GO HARD OR GO HOME! LEAVE IT ALL ON THE LINE! ITS WAR! A GAME OF INCHES! YOU ONLY GET ONE SHOT, DO NOT MISS YOUR CHANCE TO BLOW THIS OPPORTUNITY COMES ONCE IN A LIFETIME YOU BETTER YOU LOSE YOURSELF!

Reaction Score
Carl, you missed the part about the Vertical Passing Game. UConn could probably use one since they've been without one for so long. Kenny Stabler and Daryl Lamonica (the Mad Bomber) before him use to torch defenses with the Vertical Passing game. Coincidentally, after the Snake left followed by Jim Plunkett in the early '80s, the QB position fell into long term mediocrity and with it went the "Raider rep and aura".

Nah...I'm not concerned about that.

I like that Bob Brown figured out a way to take LC Greenwood to his knees, using just his thumb. I like that Villipiano, it was ok to play like you were in a street fight, as long as you were hitting the other team.

Look guys. We might just not be that good this year. It's that simple.

You know what you do, in a situation like that? You scratch, you claw, you wrap your hands in the same color as your opponents jersey so the umpire can't see you holding, you throw elbows at their ear holes and facemask and make their ears ring and their eyes blurry. You fight. You do whatever you have to win.

Reaction Score
Or, Carl, as Al Davis use to say "Just Win Baby". It's not a back ally fight, and the Raider legend grew old once they stopped winning. So the on the field product and subsequent outcomes matter. Otherwise your just a "dirty team" that people don't respect.

Reaction Score
Or, Carl, as Al Davis use to say "Just Win Baby". It's not a back ally fight, and the Raider legend grew old once they stopped winning. So the on the field product and subsequent outcomes matter. Otherwise your just a "dirty team" that people don't respect.

Who do you think respects us now at 3-4 in 2012? Media? SEC fans?

Before anybody has a hissy fit - I am not advocating that the Huskies become the Raider's of the 1970s. Not by any means.

Fishy wrote something a few days ago that's hung on, and I like it. I also, want to win at such a rate and level, that people are openly wondering if we're cheating. (and I don't want to be cheating to do it - just so we're clear)

I'll tell you what though, if anybody thinks that when you're in their on the line of scrimmage, or away from it, that players aren't going to do whatever it takes - scratch, claw, kick, fight...... that any of the stuff I'm talking about doesn't happen? You've all got the wool over your eyes.

I just want to see some fight from our offense, specifically the blockers. Some real, old fashioned, fight. I don't want to see cheap shots that can really injure somebody badly, no, no, no......I want to see our players stand up and fight, get engaged, and sustain....... and if takes scratch, clawing, holding....and covering it up.......so be it.

Way too many....WAY...to many times this season so far, where an offensive player gets in position to block, but simply misses, makes weak contact, or makes good contact and fails to sustain it.....

Reaction Score
Fishy wrote something a few days ago that's hung on, and I like it. I also, want to win at such a rate and level, that people are openly wondering if we're cheating.

I just want to see some fight from our offense, specifically the blockers. Some real, old fashioned, fight.

Not disagreeing with you Carl. Kept two of your points that I totally am in agreement with. I'd also add that I like to see some fight from the RB's and WR's, either making people miss after a catch or bouncing to the outside for additional yardage.

Reaction Score
I don't sleep much, and I spent a lot of time earlier this week, looking at as much stuff as I can from the seven games so far this season.

The single most important thing, that has us at 3-4 right now, is the ability (or lack thereof) to engage, sustain, and finish blocks on offense. Becuase of that, we are winning and losing games, because of the smallest of details elsewhere.

Now - the source of all the vitriol, has been the finger pointing going as to why that is. The simple fact, is that even with what appears to be - appears - to be blown assignments and breakdowns from schematic things (can't be sure - without actually knowing the play calls and systems).....assuming that has been happening...even with that happening.......

......if the majority of time, that we have actually had players in position, to get engaged, and/or actually engaging in blocks....if they were able to finish them? We'd be in a different position right with W/L.

There will always be mistakes on teh football field in a game, the winner is usually the one that makes the fewest mistakes.

When a player is in position to make blocks, they need to get engaged, and they need to sustain it, and they need to finish it off when the whistle blows.

we do that, regularly, we win. Even with the blown assignments.

Reaction Score
I can deal with it if we lose but if we get beat physically that will be hard to take. There have been too many times this year when alot of our O-lineman aren't doing anything at the end of plays which goes back to your staying engaged comment. These guys need to drive people and keep driving them even if it's the wrong guy. This applies to the receivers as well. Leave it all on the field, if you get tired put in a sub. It goes back to the play every play like it is your last philosophy. The offense has to step up tonight.

Reaction Score
If it wasn't for Phil Knight, we wouldn't be hearing about Oregon.

Reaction Score
You still have me out in the desert Butch. How does Nike Sweatshops and Oregon fit in a thread about controlled violence/aggression/vertical passng games/sustaining blocks. You hanging w/ HFD pre-game?
We were talking about people wondering if they're cheating, right? I was talking about cheating from a financial support perspective. Dirty money. But hey, Bob Burton is not exactly the most ethical person in the world.

Where does HFD come in? Put down whatever you are using to get high. Or if you want, pass some to me.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
I don't sleep much, and I spent a lot of time earlier this week, looking at as much stuff as I can from the seven games so far this season.

The single most important thing, that has us at 3-4 right now, is the ability (or lack thereof) to engage, sustain, and finish blocks on offense. Becuase of that, we are winning and losing games, because of the smallest of details elsewhere.

Now - the source of all the vitriol, has been the finger pointing going as to why that is. The simple fact, is that even with what appears to be - appears - to be blown assignments and breakdowns from schematic things (can't be sure - without actually knowing the play calls and systems).....assuming that has been happening...even with that happening.......

......if the majority of time, that we have actually had players in position, to get engaged, and/or actually engaging in blocks....if they were able to finish them? We'd be in a different position right with W/L.

There will always be mistakes on teh football field in a game, the winner is usually the one that makes the fewest mistakes.

When a player is in position to make blocks, they need to get engaged, and they need to sustain it, and they need to finish it off when the whistle blows.

we do that, regularly, we win. Even with the blown assignments.

The play calls are run up the middle, run up the middle, throw into coverage.

Reaction Score
Run up the middle huh? that's what comes out of the QB's mouth in the huddle? Gotcha.

Reaction Score
I just watched that video again, well, because I'm weird.

But the funniest/thing?

At about 0:37-38, there's a clip of a raider player punching a colt player in the face, but as that's going on, there's a colt player face down on the ground, motionless in the background, that looks like he got shot dead or something. Ted Hendricks probably ran the guy over.

Also - the dirtiest hit? Not even a raider.... at about 1:40 or so, a chief's player clearly punches a guy in the nuts in the melee.....and that raider just stays still on the bottom of pile with his knees tucked in from that moment on.

Again, I hope nobody gets me wrong with this discussion, I'm not advocating dirty play.....I will accept whatever the result is tonight, to be whatever it is, what I just can't accept anymore, is players standing around and/or coming up with air when it's time to make contact.

Football is a frigging contact sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox