One Writer's Opinion about HCBD Controlling the Message | Page 4 | The Boneyard

One Writer's Opinion about HCBD Controlling the Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is no trust(yet), he lost an assistant coach. He has dopey Joe Zone yelling about how he handles scholarship choices without coaching a game yet...

And again, a voice of reason in the wilderness. thanks Duncan. Diaco strikes me as a very intelligent guy - and I think Fishy is right, most successful football coaches are probably half crazy and work their way to full blown crazy. Fine line between genius and insanity and all that right? LOL.

Here is a guy, that lost an assistant because of the local of media. He's feeling his way, as a head coach, and learning, and I hope that when he does learn his lessons well, we still have him. He does not strike me as a coach that will not be successful, if he has resources and time. He is looking for somebody to trust, I agree with your assessment. Trust is earned, not given blindly. That QB press conference, will be another learning experience.

It's done and done, move on.

Reaction Score
And again, a voice of reason in the wilderness. thanks Duncan. Diaco strikes me as a very intelligent guy - and I think Fishy is right, most successful football coaches are probably half crazy and work their way to full blown crazy. Fine line between genius and insanity and all that right? LOL.

Here is a guy, that lost an assistant because of the local of media. He's feeling his way, as a head coach, and learning, and I hope that when he does learn his lessons well, we still have him. He does not strike me as a coach that will not be successful, if he has resources and time. He is looking for somebody to trust, I agree with your assessment. Trust is earned, not given blindly. That QB press conference, will be another learning experience.

It's done and done, move on.
Until HCBD has better personal than our opponents, it is in his best interest to keep practice details out of the public eye. Keep any advantage you have.

Reaction Score
Do we really need to read a list of 21 coaches that Davis interviewed to justify his press conference prowess? ... In order to hear him complain about how HCBD justified his starting QB decision??? What am I missing?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Who is Ken Davis anyway, does he have any credentials or is he a wanabe blogger? I was confusing him with Ken Duffy of the Connecticut Post.

Davis has been around for a very long time - he's not a wannabe blogger, but in truth, I have no idea who he's working for these days. I know he replaced us at Scout, but that went even worse than we told them it would.

UConn_Cover.jpg

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Is this guy serious? Just report the story, don't make yourself part of it.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
This writers an idiot. Honestly, how is staging a presser to annouce your starter, and brining all the QB's in the room a bad thing? I'm probably going to get lambasted for this, but whatever- So far in his tenure here, Bob Diaco is the best thing that has ever happened to our football program IMO. He's been upfront and honest, hasn't sugar coated things, and wants to be as much of a part of our state, and our flagship university community more than Edsall, or PP ever seemed to be, in just the first 8 months he's been here. I've personally seen the man twice at events since he's stepped foot in Connecticut. I'm a season ticket holder, and that's more than I ever has exposure to our other two coaches. The guy GETS what it takes and means to be a big boy program in college football, and GETS what players and recruits what to see and hear. Furthermore, he understands what it takes to drive interest, intrigue in a growing program and get fans pumped about the brand of football and entertainment he plans to bring each and every game at The Rent. Who wouldn't want a guy like Diaco as their head man? I'm pretty sure that if he can back up this on the field this season (7 wins, and a bowl) he will win over media critics like this clown, and fans alike. I'm more exicted about Husky Football this season than I have been in years, and believe me, I look forward to these Saturdays in the fall all-year long.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
One other important note to remember- Ken Davis brings up how the timing of the presser was bad because no CT TV news station could send cameras at 6:30... Sorry but if (as a state) we want to be taken seriously about our football, it shouldn't matter what time of the day or night the football program wants to hold a press conference- our state's media NEEDS to be there. No excuses. That to me is the biggest joke, and one of the reasons building this program has been such a uphill battle. It needs the media to be there, and for the state's people to see what is happening on an on-going basis.

You can't tell me that if Coach Ollie and the men's basketball program wanted to hold a presser for an important annoucement at 6:30 at night in August that TV cameras wouldn't be there? They would. The same should hold true for football.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You can't tell me that if Coach Ollie and the men's basketball program wanted to hold a presser for an important annoucement at 6:30 at night in August that TV cameras wouldn't be there? They would. The same should hold true for football.

I sure as hell can. No station is going to preempt their national news for a UConn BB presser. You miss the point. If the thing is held at 4pm, there will tape on the 5:00, 5:30 and 6:00 broadcasts. It's stale news by the next day. Blame the messenger if you must, but it's an opportunity missed for UConn. Again.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I sure as hell can. No station is going to preempt their national news for a UConn BB presser. You miss the point. If the thing is held at 4pm, there will tape on the 5:00, 5:30 and 6:00 broadcasts. It's stale news by the next day. Blame the messenger if you must, but it's an opportunity missed for UConn. Again.
New HC mistake to schedule when convenient for the team and players rather than for the media. He'll learn. Not a big deal in my view.

Reaction Score

Two things at issue here. First, you are right in saying that an opportunity was missed.

On another note, however, stations in certain southern states would gladly preempt any programming, including Duck Dynasty, to cover an announcement related to the State University's football team. "War in the Middle east? Who cares, Coach is announcing .............."

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
New HC mistake to schedule when convenient for the team and players rather than for the media. He'll learn. Not a big deal in my view.
You know ? The more I think about it, I don't think it was a mistake. I think Ken Davis was correct and it was calculated, but what is wrong with that? If this was any other year or any other coach, the most fans would get is a quick press release and an announcement by a beat writer on Twitter or Facebook. Not only that, but it would have come over the weekend. Does anyone really think Coach Diaco didn't know who his starter for BYU was going to be on Friday? or Sunday Night? or Monday Morning? Do you really think he flipped a coin after practice? Absolutely not. If you say yes, you are only trying to convince yourself. He withheld the decision to create anticipation. Done and Done.

Given past and expected events, the press conference was out of the ordinary, but again, that was the point. He called a press conference to draw attention to THE PROGRAM. He knows how important it is for the Athletic Department to be included in a 5CSMA conference. He knows how important the money is. Why do you think he mentions the S.T.E.M. academic fields by name in 80% of his interviews? He knows how important it is to align the school with the Big Ten caliber institutions. S.T.E.M. drive research. Research drives AAU election. AAU Election facilitates a Big Ten invite.

Regarding timing...First of all, who in UConn's target demographic for football watches the local 5:30, 6:00, or 6:30 news? Even if one is "lucky" enough to get out of work at 5:00, they are stuck in traffic and miss the local news anyway. My wife and I were watching some show on NBC (For the life of me, I can't remember what), and a commercial for Calhoun's bike ride came on. My wife asked who the other guy. I said it was Kevin Nathan. To which she responded, "Who's that?"

If the announcement came in the manner which I would have expected in any other year, it would have gotten 10 seconds on Channels 30, 8, and, 3, and 61 and that would be that. Wonderful. What ends up happening? The announcement is made over Terrestrial radio (by the afformentioned stuck in I-84 grid lock). There are at least six tweets in a row (by the 2 "aults," Conner, Duffy, and Fuller, UConnFootball among others) There are umpteen re-tweets of the same, there were announcements on Facebook, and Low and behold, there is even video (How did that happen if the local channels weren't there? Who would have guessed that quality video production and distribution would be available to the masses without the local affiliates?) of the new incumbent that goes viral and is picked up by Yahoo and Deadspin to the point that in a 24/7 new cycle where a story has an average life span of 27 1/2 minutes, it is still being discussed 2 days later.

Besides, local news most likely had coverage in their 10:00 (Fox61) or 11:00 news, which is a better method of reaching their target demographic, as it leads in to the late night comedy shows.

But yeah, Let's b**ch about the fact that grandma didn't get to hear who UConn's QB is between getting home from the Early Bird Special at Olive Garden and The Wheel of Fortune...Because that's a solid use of spent calories. :rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know ? The more I think about it, I don't think it was a mistake. I think Ken Davis was correct and it was calculated, but what is wrong with that? If this was any other year or any other coach, the most fans would get is a quick press release and an announcement by a beat writer on Twitter or Facebook. Not only that, but it would have come over the weekend. Does anyone really think Coach Diaco didn't know who his starter for BYU was going to be on Friday? or Sunday Night? or Monday Morning? Do you really think he flipped a coin after practice? Absolutely not. If you say yes, you are only trying to convince yourself. He withheld the decision to create anticipation. Done and Done.

Given past and expected events, the press conference was out of the ordinary, but again, that was the point. He called a press conference to draw attention to THE PROGRAM. He knows how important it is for the Athletic Department to be included in a 5CSMA conference. He knows how important the money is. Why do you think he mentions the S.T.E.M. academic fields by name in 80% of his interviews? He knows how important it is to align the school with the Big Ten caliber institutions. S.T.E.M. drive research. Research drives AAU election. AAU Election facilitates a Big Ten invite.

Regarding timing...First of all, who in UConn's target demographic for football watches the local 5:30, 6:00, or 6:30 news? Even if one is "lucky" enough to get out of work at 5:00, they are stuck in traffic and miss the local news anyway. My wife and I were watching some show on NBC (For the life of me, I can't remember what), and a commercial for Calhoun's bike ride came on. My wife asked who the other guy. I said it was Kevin Nathan. To which she responded, "Who's that?"

If the announcement came in the manner which I would have expected in any other year, it would have gotten 10 seconds on Channels 30, 8, and, 3, and 61 and that would be that. Wonderful. What ends up happening? The announcement is made over Terrestrial radio (by the afformentioned stuck in I-84 grid lock). There are at least six tweets in a row (by the 2 "aults," Conner, Duffy, and Fuller, UConnFootball among others) There are umpteen re-tweets of the same, there were announcements on Facebook, and Low and behold, there is even video (How did that happen if the local channels weren't there? Who would have guessed that quality video production and distribution would be available to the masses without the local affiliates?) of the new incumbent that goes viral and is picked up by Yahoo and Deadspin to the point that in a 24/7 new cycle where a story has an average life span of 27 1/2 minutes, it is still being discussed 2 days later.

Besides, local news most likely had coverage in their 10:00 (Fox61) or 11:00 news, which is a better method of reaching their target demographic, as it leads in to the late night comedy shows.

But yeah, Let's b**ch about the fact that grandma didn't get to hear who UConn's QB is between getting home from the Early Bird Special at Olive Garden and The Wheel of Fortune...Because that's a solid use of spent calories. :rolleyes:
Occam's Razor.

Reaction Score
Two things at issue here. First, you are right in saying that an opportunity was missed.

On another note, however, stations in certain southern states would gladly preempt any programming, including Duck Dynasty, to cover an announcement related to the State University's football team. "War in the Middle east? Who cares, Coach is announcing ...."

While I agree 100%, I'll just add that it is highly, highly unlikely that the culture in CT, will change in any way to reflect the culture of say - Alabama, nor should it, or anyone of us really want it to. We're all Americans, but were also all different. I'm happy to live in the culture we've got here in CT, where people are actually concerned about other things than Coach Saban's favorite brand of toilet paper I guess. Football, is part of it, and just needs to continue to weave it's way in, with winning and exposure.

I think CL82 is much more on track here. It's a simple learning experience. If you want to make a splash in the media, do it in such fashion that you'll get the most exposure. Diaco, I'm sure wasn't going to change afternoon practice routines for a press conference, and a late morning, lunchtime press conference would probably have been better, to allow local media to get to campus, and get video clips on evening news - especially since I don't think they're in classes yet. No mistake that the captains announcement came early afternoon this time.

Reaction Score

Holy cow. Overthinking dude. We need football. Wowee. :)

Husky25

Reaction Score
Occam's Razor.
I don't think that applies here.

Fact:
1. Diaco is aware of the Program's money disadvantage.
2. Diaco evokes the academic fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics every chance he gets.
3. Diaco did not flip a coin before he went on stage, and
4. It is in Diaco's best interest to draw attention to his football team.

Everything else may or may not be a coincidence (e.g. timing of the press conference), but who cares. In this age of pervasive social media, that sort of thing does not move the needle for the target demographic, as any student taking (or who has taken) a 100 level marketing class will tell you.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Holy cow. Overthinking dude. We need football. Wowee. :)
Maybe a little, but the above are facts and they are indisputable (Thank you, "Smilin'" Jack Ross)...

Well, maybe #3 is the only one that can be, because I was not there. ;)

C

Chief00

Calhoun realized that having the horde covering his team could be an asset and used it to sell and promote his team to the entire state. Yeah he became ornery as he got older and down right nasty toward the end, but he capitalized on what he had with the media. These are much different times we live in with social media today and all.

Actually, Jim Calhoun mellowed with age. You absolutely have no clue what you are talking about.

Reaction Score
@JohnFSilver
OK. Well, where do I start. DeLorenzo RB, John Green to CB (crowded field), a billion other things. Can write for a month...

Imagine if Diaco wasn't controlling the message. John Silver would have enough to write for the whole season and he could just mail it in...That's what Ken Davis wants, right?

C

Chief00

Tell that to the guy that tried to mug him when he was jogging in Boston while coaching at Northeastern.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
No you missed the point. A camera doesn't mean there needs to be a live broadcast of something. That should have been taped for the news that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom