One Writer's Opinion about HCBD Controlling the Message | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One Writer's Opinion about HCBD Controlling the Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Apparently the media is in pre-season form too. I learned more about the writers experience/resume and all the wonderful coaches and games he's been around than anything related to UConn FB. I'm sure we'll hear about all the girls he's been with in his follow up piece.

The preser was different, no doubt. I liked the fact the players were wearing UConn shirts and up the helmets were in the table, it provided good visual branding. Diaco definitely over explained his decision and thinking a bit, but otherwise I didn't have any issues with it.

Reaction Score
The press conference was odd and the point about it coming too late to get it on the early news is a good one.

Past that, I don't care.

Twitter is the new media delivery channel and they were all over it live. Newscast, what's that?

Reaction Score
The press conference was odd and the point about it coming too late to get it on the early news is a good one.

Past that, I don't care.

I think Diaco is new & he hasn't done this ever.

I respect Ken Davis & he had good points. My understanding is Davis has covered/fan of Kansas and then tis long CT gig- I'm not sure he can write that this isn't going to be a good team. Or a long season. Fair minded me: I simply don't know. I think Diaco has done a lot if great things in a short timeframe. However, that Monday presser was weird.

Reaction Score
Honestly, if I had to write that drivel for a living I would drive a garbage truck instead. It's better exercise and infinitely more useful to society.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Usually I read the article before the thread. This time my laziness was rewarded.

I assume this is correct: Ken Davis was complaining? Ken duck*ing Davis?

I fully understand I'm a fan of a program that was 13-23 the last three years and doesn't have a following like a Big 10 or SEC team.

Still a few times a year it's like a kick in the nuts to be reminded of it because an a**clown like Ken Davis has a platform to pontificate.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Jesus I wish Mark Mangino had just duck*ing eaten him.

Reaction Score
There is no trust(yet), he lost an assistant coach. He has dopey Joe Zone yelling about how he handles scholarship choices without coaching a game yet...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was strange to say the least. I'm not sure if BD may have been "uncomfortable" and/or a little "unsure" about naming a single starter QB. He rambled on almost in an "apologetic manner" to justify his decision.

He's the head coach, for Pete's sake. The CEO of UConn football. He doesn't have to justify anything. So what if maybe UConn does not have one QB that has all the skills of a complete Div. I QB. Just name the GD starting QB. That is his decision and he doesn't have to explain why.

There wasn't any pressure from the fans or press. He isn't on a "hot seat" ........yet. Just name a starter and open it up to questions......and move on.

I'm not sure any of the players felt comfortable.

Just a strange news conference.

Now I'm beginning to be a little nervous as to how decisive he will be during game time and how he will appear after his first loss. Hope he doesn't try to justify every play of the game,

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Ken Davis has done more damage to UConn football in the form of his trainwreck s-c-o-u-t site than Diaco ever could with the media. Having a dead site like that on a portal that other fans look to isn't helping us at all.

Reaction Score
Funny, for all of the crap that DC takes, much of it deserved, he is live tweeting Diaco's appearance at the Middlesex Chamber of Commerce breakfast today. Not a peep out of Mr. Davis. Stories are there if you want them bad enough Kenny.

(*The fact he's not tweeting doesn't mean he's not there, obviously, but after a hatchet job like the one in the OP, it isn't a good look to not at least provide some sort of balance here.)

Reaction Score
Mr Davis is clearly an egomaniac with hurt feelings. He should take his ball and go home.

Reaction Score
I think the program, including HCBD, needs to spend more time coddling both the local media and the CT HS FB Coaches, as both have proven invaluable allies and fully committed to seeing State U. compete on a national stage. We should care very much about their opinions and views.

Reaction Score
Ken Davis has done more damage to UConn football in the form of his trainwreck s-c-o-u-t site than Diaco ever could with the media. Having a dead site like that on a portal that other fans look to isn't helping us at all.

Sometimes sarcasm doesn't come through in writing. Your post isn't serious, is it?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think the CT media learned a lesson with PP....they were so happy to have a coach who talked to them, they treated him as if he was better than Edsall. They quickly realized that fans really didn't care how the coach treated the media...they wanted a competent team on the field. Media liked Paul more than Randy. Fans liked Randy more than Paul. So when the media displayed favoritism to Paul it backfired on them. Fans lost respect for the media...because they decided to align with a coach that was easier for them to work with versus actually being a good football coach.

They seemed to have learned with BD because they are focusing on the positive culture change. How the players appear to be physicially and mentally ready to play. Other than Davis, they haven't bitched about not having access to practices and the team.

But...if BD has a rough stretch....that will change quickly.

Davis's mis-step is that he built the narrative before the team played a game. Hard to take his complaining seriously when we don't know if BD's tactics will produce a winning team or a losing team. Davis doesn't get that all the fans care about is a BD running a good clean program that is competitive. If UConn shows progress and development, the fans could care less how goofy and controlling the press conferences are.

Unless all that Davis wanted to accomplish was people to talk about him...which...he did get that. Of course it is in a negative light, but maybe that isn't important to him.

Reaction Score
Diaco is the coach, he runs his program as he sees fit. If he wins, then he did it right. If he doesn't win, then his method can be questioned. Otherwise, the media should report the news, not make it. This guy should stop his whining. Do his job, which is reporting the news, not making it. Perhaps we need Max Mercy to show up ;)

Reaction Score
Being a little more open would not kill Diaco. Publicity is a good thing.

Reaction Score
A little more open? A little more publicity? Seriously? The guy has been everywhere since he arrived. Short of open-ing his fly, what more would you like him to do - lay out the plays he will call and schemes he plans to set for BYU?

Reaction Score
I think Diaco has done a lot if great things in a short timeframe.
Can you list some of those and tell us why they are great? Or are they just great in comparison to PP?

He talks a good game about commitment and accountability and added what appears to be a very competent strength and conditioning coach (how the team holds up during the season will be the actual proof of that), but beyond that, there is nothing that has been shown to the public or the media except what he wants them to see or hear. Not that there is anything wrong with that but as they say, talk is cheap.

Reaction Score
This is ridiculous. The press conference was different but not weird. I liked his explanation and discussion of the QB decision. I can just see the media talk/squawk had he merely announced Casey as the starter. Media: "Diaco provided us with no rationale for his choice of Casey, leaving us to speculate on the roles of Whitmer and Boyle. As HC he owes us more"

I'm ten toes in on Diaco. Go Huskies!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Sometimes sarcasm doesn't come through in writing. Your post isn't serious, is it?

It's semi-serious. Think of it this way - having that essentially dead site out there "controls the message" that our fanbase sucks.

Reaction Score
Can you list some of those and tell us why they are great? Or are they just great in comparison to PP?

He talks a good game about commitment and accountability and added what appears to be a very competent strength and conditioning coach (how the team holds up during the season will be the actual proof of that), but beyond that, there is nothing that has been shown to the public or the media except what he wants them to see or hear. Not that there is anything wrong with that but as they say, talk is cheap.

He hasn't won a single game yet but you have to give him credit for transforming the culture in a short period of time. Players have bought in. Bodies have been transformed. Kids like playing football again. He has done a lot to get out in the public and engage the fanbase.

That is really all you can expect from him at this point. He's had a few trip ups that you'd expect from a 1st time HC. Ernest Jones and Monday's presser (my opinion only). At the risk of upsetting the recruitniks we have no idea how well Diaco is recruiting here. What's really gonna define his tenure here ultimately is wins and losses.

Stop being an downer.

Reaction Score
It's semi-serious. Think of it this way - having that essentially dead site out there "controls the message" that our fanbase sucks.

No UConn fans go to that website. How many fans of other teams do you think frequent there? More importantly, do they matter?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't know Ken, I wasn't at the presser (though I watched)... But it comes across as whining that Diaco isn't making Davis's job easier. Which - when there are other folks working for and putting out good reads - reeks of entitlement and laziness.

Reaction Score
I think the program, including HCBD, needs to spend more time coddling both the local media and the CT HS FB Coaches, as both have proven invaluable allies and fully committed to seeing State U. compete on a national stage. We should care very much about their opinions and views.
CT HS football coaches? Have you been reading all the articles being put out? He's been touring the state visiting every high school football program there is and inviting everyone to their football camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom