One Writer's Opinion about HCBD Controlling the Message | The Boneyard

One Writer's Opinion about HCBD Controlling the Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Writer has a spot on a website with no following. Nothing to see here that already hasn't been covered in depth on the bonesyard. Sorry.

Reaction Score
This wreaks of what Boston media complains about week in and week out when having to "deal" with Belichick. He has placed incredible limits on what they can and cannot report on from practice, his players are trained in how to speak with the media, and he seemingly gives no info in pressers. However in reality, he has his favorites and answers questions of certain beat writers, the ones who ask questions in a way that engage him and act as actual journalists. Those who aren't in the cool club can't handle it and complain in their weekly appearances on radio or tv, in their Twitter feeds, and even in their writing.

Compare this to when Pete Carroll allowed (I'm assuming he still does to some extent?) the media access to anyone and everyone at just about any time. Players negotiated through the media and the media bullied Carroll because they had relationships with players and dirt got out there.

In the end, though, both ways can work if the players buy in and the coaches do their jobs.

Reaction Score
Wow...I'm so glad he included his resume. He is quite impressive.

While yesterday's press conference was wierd, I don't get his whining about access to players. I have seen plenty of interviews with players.

Nice of him to throw in the comment about this year being a long one.

Good job Ray Barone.

Reaction Score
With the media's track record here, I'm not the least concerned with what they are or are not happy about at this point. Many here feel the local media generally sucks in terms of coverage and support of our program and I tend to agree. At the end of the day, a win against BYU will give Coach D all the leverage he needs to make whatever decisions he needs to make and if we have an opening day victory, I will support it. After all, we had to many Pasquolonista's in the media the last 3 years and that got us nowhere. I agree with Medic, it's to early for whining...... Let's get through opening night and take it from there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The press conference was odd and the point about it coming too late to get it on the early news is a good one.

Past that, I don't care.

Reaction Score
Writer has a spot on a website with no following. Nothing to see here that already hasn't been covered in depth on the bonesyard. Sorry.

No, Carl. The writer has a spot on his OWN website with no following.

Reaction Score
The press conference was odd and the point about it coming too late to get it on the early news is a good one.

Past that, I don't care.

Especially since last night was the final newscast ever by all CT stations. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I can see Diaco trying to get the team to focus inward and not get distracted with the medias take on every little thing in the preseason. Once the games begin the media will have plenty to talk about and I'm sure players interviews will be more available. Edsall never let his assistants talk to the press. Time will tell as to how Diacos managing of the press evolves. It's never a cakewalk for any coach.

Reaction Score
This past Aug 7th I sent an email to a friend about the upcoming CFB season. He is a Notre Dame grad, residing in CT, who still tries to make a couple of their big games each year. He asked me the following; "What are your thoughts on Diaco so far? He is pretty intense and kind of an odd duck, so it sure can make for some pretty interesting/uncomfortable press conferences." Didn't know how to respond to the second part of his statement but it looks like his intensity and quirkiness is well documented at Notre Dame. Hope things loosen up a bit during the season. I remember last year we were all over DC for being PP's shill. If you ask me we knew a lot more about the day to day stuff last year than we have seen this year. I can't wait for the season to start as I hope the flood gates will open in the news rooms around the state. Mostly what I have read is second hand news on the part of the BY members. Not bad but I'm retired and I check for UCONN FB news all the time. Like I said can't wait for the 29th. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There'll be newscasts every day from now until the end of time - but there's a thing called a news cycle and if you miss it, you miss it.

UConn presumably held a press conference in order to get their bit of news into the press - show up an hour early with the dog and pony show so that it's on the early news.

It's not rocket science.

Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, very soon we will all know Bob Diaco as an eccentric football genius or an eccentric disaster. The players look and sound energized, fit, confident and happy. They are busting their asses but are thrilled to do the work. Given that, I think we have every reason to believe that coach knows what he's doing and very little reason to believe he doesn't. For Davis to call him out before the first game is odd. Let the guy coach a few games and let his program and style evolve a little. He may allow more access down the road but I'm sure he is controlling everything right now because he knows beating BYU can change everything for this team over night. He doesn't want reporters causing drama or undermining the good place he has the QBs in right now.

Reaction Score
The lack of any meaningful media coverage has been a bit of a buzzkill, I'll give Davis that, but Diaco is trying to change the culture around this team. I'm hoping in future years,'Diaco is more comfortable letting the media/fans in closer.

That sheet yesterday was weird though.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Basically, I think football coaches are half-crazy and spend their careers working their way towards full-crazy.

You just hope your coach is the good kind of crazy and not the kind of crazy that has them up at 2 am working on a 238th variant of the inside draw.

Reaction Score
"But the fact is we cannot give you any impression of this team or the schemes Diaco might use in the opener because we haven’t seen a thing in the preseason".

Good for Diaco. Screw the media.

I love that he using Calhoun as an example of how coaches should be. Most of the media thought Calhoun was a first class "_____". What he really wanted to say is that he wishes Diaco were more like Paul Pasqualoni.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Calhoun realized that having the horde covering his team could be an asset and used it to sell and promote his team to the entire state. Yeah he became ornery as he got older and down right nasty toward the end, but he capitalized on what he had with the media. These are much different times we live in with social media today and all.

Reaction Score
Yeah he became ornery as he got older and down right nasty toward the end, but he capitalized on what he had with the media.

A well known CT columnist told me in the early nineties that he pretty much thought Calhoun was a jerk (his word was worse), so it wasn't just the later years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom