One Sour Note About The 90th Win... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

One Sour Note About The 90th Win...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
But here's the thing. When I went online (first time ever) to get a ticket I found very little choice and even less that I was willing to afford. In the lower sections the prices started at 140$ and went to over 300$. But even in the upper sections there was very little choice. I sat in Section 214, row P, and I was offered seats 6 through 10 in that row. Period. I chose that section because it's the closest that was offered to the center of the arena.
Even up there I had as much trouble telling Gabby from Kia from Saniya from Pheesa that I do on TV. (Girls, how about different 'do's, dye jobs; something!). I love the way they really do seem to be interchangeable parts but that's taking it a little too far!
But I digress.
Another post says the attendance was 10,109, and I finally found online the basketball capacity is 15 thousand something. The seats were not all full, but it looked to me like it was more than 2/3 full. There were empty seats above me and at the top of all the sections. They weren't available online if I'd wanted them. Most sections showed no seats available at any price. Yet all over the arena, even in the upper sections, there were quite a few seats unoccupied, including in the sections that were not available online at all. Could they all really be season tickets that were unused, that night of all nights? There were four seats in the row in front of me that were never occupied. Frankly, I considered not going because the choice was so poor.

I decided to go only a few days before, went to the XL site, was kicked into re-sale sites, saw the same high prices...

Then we went to the UConn Woman's BB site, where they sell regular priced tickets...mind you, you're not going to get close up seats, but we picked out 2nd row in the upper corner for $25 each including all charges. Perfectly acceptable.

Wasn't going to miss this one...If you had to go to one UConn game; this one was a pretty good example to see. We had a grand time. Can't be bothered with recounting any small inconveniences.

Reaction Score
"Well, on Tuesday night as the top-ranked Huskies crushed No. 20 South Florida 102-37 for record-tying win No. 90 in a row before a season-high crowd of 10,109 at the XL Center, Auriemma got the message loud and clear about what a big deal it was to his players as they set a program record for largest margin of victory over a team ranked in the Associated Press poll."

UConn women’s basketball wins 90th straight game, ties own NCAA record

Sparce attendance? I think not :p

The Xl's capacity is about 16000 If I recall properly and Gampel around 10,000
60 percent capacity on a work night, bad weather predicted, a blow out anticipated---I think the real hardy and true fans
showed their blue and white blood.
Besides---they made enough noise for 20,000!!!

Yet it would have been nice to have a fully packed house.

Reaction Score
We drove down from Vermont and scheduled a continued trip on home in the Apple after the game...lot of driving...but I'm still up to it at 78

It didn't seem like much of a sacrifice to stop over to see one of the more classic games in UConn history.
We were a little concerned about finding reasonably priced, informal food but found the wonderful Korean BBQ place, right around the corner...fab.

I like big stadiums and don't mind sitting upstairs; found reasonably priced seats on the corner (which I prefer), row B , purchased only a day or two before, which were just fine. I always liked sitting upstairs esp hockey, but also BB and baseball....you get a good overall perspective. Different from downstairs.

Sound s like my wife and I are outliers; willing to drive long distances at night, no eyesight problems, happy to sit upstairs...It's a hoot pretending we're still young.
it is not pretending --you kids are still young---you are only OLD when you THINK you are old. keep on keeping on.

Reaction Score
It's pretty easy to toss out the criticism like Striker has done with out looking into the sitauation and understanding what's behind the overall decline in attendance over the sell-out years? We've had numerous threads dedicated to all the reasons as to why attendance has steadily declined and many of those are well covered in this thread as well. All of them are valid reasons why? I've been a season ticket holder for the past 9 years and I can easily see that the University has a significant problem that they're failing to address. For some reason the fan base WCBB tends to skew towards an older population and UConn doesn't seem to care much about looking for ways to broaden that base? I haven't seen a new marketing strategy help increase younger fan interest though we've been repeatedly asked for input from the school. This year several of the marquee game prices were increased to over $30, which flies against getting more people to attend. I've given up hope that the University will smarten up and address growing the fan base of the best team/program that it has. They're too busy figuring out how to save a dismal football program and payoff the previous coaches $3.2M buyout.

Reaction Score
How about 'their getting ready to throw dirt on me".

Do I get a pass?

Not from me you don't!! You get a full pass for any distance over 50 miles and any age over 80---

Reaction Score
It's pretty easy to toss out the criticism like Striker has done with out looking into the sitauation and understanding what's behind the overall decline in attendance over the sell-out years? We've had numerous threads dedicated to all the reasons as to why attendance has steadily declined and many of those are well covered in this thread as well. All of them are valid reasons why? I've been a season ticket holder for the past 9 years and I can easily see that the University has a significant problem that they're failing to address. For some reason the fan base WCBB tends to skew towards an older population and UConn doesn't seem to care much about looking for ways to broaden that base? I haven't seen a new marketing strategy help increase younger fan interest though we've been repeatedly asked for input from the school. This year several of the marquee game prices were increased to over $30, which flies against getting more people to attend. I've given up hope that the University will smarten up and address growing the fan base of the best team/program that it has. They're too busy figuring out how to save a dismal football program and payoff the previous coaches $3.2M buyout.

A few years back it was recorded a Church group--decided to get more and diverse ages--they had to make the
service "relevant" --they made it "relevant" and lost their base group--and since that time--they have closed churches and schools . Lesson---don't mess with your "core" group. Regardless of whether they are using chairs to wheel into the Gampel or XL center--or not.

Reaction Score
The marginal attendance levels at Gampel and XL have been a head-scratcher for me, too. If I lived in the Hartford area, I'd be at every game. It doesn't help that there seems to be no way to buy decent seats except for on StubHub, and that you get to your nosebleeds only to see umpteen empty good seats that you would have paid a lot more for. I've given up on trying to understand their strategy for filling these facilities for games, if they even have one.

I noticed in the USF presser Geno's comments about how television does not to Gabby justice, and that if you haven't seen her play in person, you're really missing out. It's clearly a point of emphasis for him, as he occasionally addresses it in one way or another. But nothing ever seems to change.

i took particular notice of the comment Geno Repeated about to see Gabby you have to see her in person. That would be nice
but my seats ---I could see the angels singing-- but I couldn't see the Gabby movements as well as I saw them on the recorded game--i.e as seen on TV. It was obvious what he was trying to do--fill seats. The big difference between TV and on site--isn't what I can see--or can't see--it's the ATMOSPHERE of being with like minded Uconn fans cheering (all to gether)
for Gabby, Napheesa, Katie lou , Kia , Chong or those beyond the mad dog five. Gampel seat kill me--as you age all the
fat and meat in the Glutus Maximus (sp) reduces to nothing --it becomes bone to cement--and it hurts..

Reaction Score
Grrrrrrr. Had my right one done a couple years back.

I had them both done ---abt 15 years ago---then had to have the secondary cataract (pop corn) done 8 years later--now my glasses (i did withou t them, except for reading for abt 5 years) change abt every 2 years--thank you VA.

Reaction Score
Bingo. If UCONN was that concerned about fan attendance, they easily could arrange transportation from the campus to Hartford for students. Over 10,000 fans for a game against USF is fantastic. My parents are in their mid/late 70's and try to attend every game as they do have season tickets, and they make it a night out with other couples, but with EVERY UCONN game televised, it's way more comfortable for seniors to sit at home in warmth and comfort rather than head out to a game. Even worse are the concrete benches at Gample - how anyone can sit in those seats for 2 hours is mystifying.

Bottom line, UCONN needs to do its' part in outreach for fans, not just expect that with technology and televised games that people will come out and fill stadiums (would ANYONE really want to sit up in the nosebleed section to watch a game????)
Students are currently on break. Even at gameplay next night for men,s game, student attendance about one third usual.

Reaction Score
Another comment on marketing and trying to lure new fans. We all chuckled about the marketing campaign the Maryland did for the UConn game with the give away items (the clear bags, Frese Fest hand towels, calls to "white out" the arena etc.) that they used to promote the game. They managed to get 18,000 into the Xfinity Center on a Thursday evening at 6pm for the game and the students were on break. There were a lot of middle school and high school aged kids there with their parents. Seems like a much younger demographic than what you guys are describing at a UConn women's game. Now a lot of that had to do with the opponent, ;) and they don't get nearly that many for some of the less than challenging opponents they play. According to the interwebs, they are averaging just over 5,000 per game which isn't a great amount for the size of the arena the play in. They will do much better attendance wise for their B1G games. The point is, they seem to be really trying to promote the women's game at Maryland and bring in a younger fan base. Their attendance has been increasing since the 2005-2006 season (and is 5x what it was for the 2000-2001 season), although it seems to have hit a plateau over the past couple of seasons.

Maryland seems to be making the same sort of effort to promote their women's team as they are their men's team, even though every men's home game (even the exhibitions) are near sell outs and the men can demand 5x the ticket prices. I haven't been to a game in Storrs or Harford so maybe the same sorts of efforts are being made there, but for some reason it just isn't catching on?

Reaction Score
Bingo. If UCONN was that concerned about fan attendance, they easily could arrange transportation from the campus to Hartford for students. Over 10,000 fans for a game against USF is fantastic. My parents are in their mid/late 70's and try to attend every game as they do have season tickets, and they make it a night out with other couples, but with EVERY UCONN game televised, it's way more comfortable for seniors to sit at home in warmth and comfort rather than head out to a game. Even worse are the concrete benches at Gample - how anyone can sit in those seats for 2 hours is mystifying.

Bottom line, UCONN needs to do its' part in outreach for fans, not just expect that with technology and televised games that people will come out and fill stadiums (would ANYONE really want to sit up in the nosebleed section to watch a game????)
Yes, BUT UConn cannot rely on the 65+ audience to sustain it. And they seem to have made no concerted effort to find an audiencesegent that might be interested in replacing it.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Another comment on marketing and trying to lure new fans. We all chuckled about the marketing campaign the Maryland did for the UConn game with the give away items (the clear bags, Frese Fest hand towels, calls to "white out" the arena etc.) that they used to promote the game. They managed to get 18,000 into the Xfinity Center on a Thursday evening at 6pm for the game and the students were on break. There were a lot of middle school and high school aged kids there with their parents. Seems like a much younger demographic than what you guys are describing at a UConn women's game. Now a lot of that had to do with the opponent, ;) and they don't get nearly that many for some of the less than challenging opponents they play. According to the interwebs, they are averaging just over 5,000 per game which isn't a great amount for the size of the arena the play in. They will do much better attendance wise for their B1G games. The point is, they seem to be really trying to promote the women's game at Maryland and bring in a younger fan base. Their attendance has been increasing since the 2005-2006 season (and is 5x what it was for the 2000-2001 season), although it seems to have hit a plateau over the past couple of seasons.

Maryland seems to be making the same sort of effort to promote their women's team as they are their men's team, even though every men's home game (even the exhibitions) are near sell outs and the men can demand 5x the ticket prices. I haven't been to a game in Storrs or Harford so maybe the same sorts of efforts are being made there, but for some reason it just isn't catching on?

Living in MI means no games in person for me most years. I'm glad the numbers for the USF game were good, especially because from viewing it on television you could see way too many empty seats. I wish the home venues where Connecticut plays would permit those in the upper levels to take over unused seats after half time. I've seen that at other arenas. It would give the impression of a full crowd which I believe would be good for the game.

Side note but related: for those who haven't listened to Calipari's interview with Geno, he noted that the UConn vs Maryland game had a higher tv draw than his own men's game.

Reaction Score
A lot of UConn fans are essentially TV fans. MY uncle was a great fan into his 90s and I don't think he ever saw a game live. He bought a bigger TV just for the games though!
I could have gone to the game. But I just don't like driving into Hartford, a little over an hour away. The driving, the parking and the expense on a weekday night all kept me home in front of the TV. I will attend 5 or more games at Gampel though. I think we have hashed out some of our problems and suggestions to boost in-person attendance before. Still, over 10,000 people coming out to watch on a winter weeknight and many, many more in front of their TVs is not bad!
Yes, but he was freakin' 90 years old. If I were 90, or even anything near it, I'd be lucky to find the damn TV set in the living room, never mind driving to a basketball game.

Reaction Score
Spoken like someone who hasn't sat in them, isn't old, doesn't have a skinny, unpadded ass and has hips narrower than a cheapo airline seat. Gampel concrete seating is uncomfortable. After a while you reach a point where the product isn't worth the pain.
My ass is neither skinny nor unpadded. So I should be okay with the seats? Just askin. ;)

Reaction Score
Students are currently on break. Even at gameplay next night for men,s game, student attendance about one third usual.

I don't think students on break has much to do with it. At XL, for a women's game there are rarely more than 50 students there.. I know, I know. They are all back in Storr's studying!

Reaction Score
This post is tailor-made for my long-time rant, so here goes:

I have this conviction that being the absolute best team in WCBB means you have to do things a certain way. One of those things is to ensure that when your games are televised (which is...umm....always), it does not look like a third of the fans forgot to show up.

So I agree that there should have been more people at that game. But who?

A lot of us live far away, so forget about those folks for a moment. Some of us who now live far away used to live close enough to at least get to a few games each year. Others are on fixed income and are priced out of more than a game or two each year. Still others are getting too old to want to be out at night in the winter. It's a shame, but age catches us with all of us. But these facts seem to be something the UConn Athletic Department, and their marketing geniuses, have forgotten. UConn WCBB has relied on a population on fans that is, to put it bluntly, moving out or aging out. It is also a victim of its own success at televising games.

The problem is, it appears that the UConn folks have not come up with a way -- any way -- to attract people to replace their declining audience. As a result, you look in the stands and see...a declining audience.

Until they start aggressively trying to attract kids from girls' basketball leagues and using marketing techniques -- including innovative pricing schemes -- that seem to work for other teams in other cities, they won't see many sellouts. And I know I'm dreaming about this one, but until they make it clear that being allowed to purchase lower-level seats is a privilege, and with that privilege comes the responsibility to ensure that someone's butt is in that seat, every game, the place will look less-than-full, even when it is at or near sellout levels.

Okay. I'll stop now.
I couldn't agree more with this post. The UConn marketing strategy totally lacks imagination and creativity. How fans are, at times, deemed "complacent" when that tag fits even more so around the necks of those who are in charge of marketing the UConn Women's BB program and attendance at its games, is rather hard to understand. Why not fill the stands with Boys and Girl Club members, Scouts and other youngster organizations at reduced pricing? The enthusiasm level at games would not only increase, but you'd be cultivating a future fan base....not to mention the effect created for televised games. There's plenty of other opportunities such as making attendance more appealing for current UConn students, marketing to CT corporations at special rates, monetary attendance advantages, at select games,for seniors and so much more.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
I have not been to a lot of games, but I try and make it to has many as I can.
Funny thing is, I have yet to see them play in CT!
But, some BYers convinced me a few weeks back that I had to be at the SMU game.
I thought about that for a couple of seconds and agreed.
My heart was racing a million miles an hour before the USF game, and into about the first 5 minutes. Then I felt I could relax a little. ;)

If all my favorite teams in sports all played for a championship on the same day, I would go watch the Huskies. Hard to put into words what watching them play 'live' means to me.
Maybe one day in the near future I WILL see them play at home. It's on the bucket list!
I don't need a big reason to get the hell out of South Bend for a few days, but the Huskies are a big reason I often do.
On to Dallas!! Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
all the empty seats.

You'd think all you so-called fans would be there to cheer the girls on for something so tremendous. And it is pretty tremendous. The biggest thing in college and maybe pro sports in history. Or maybe just one of the biggest things.

It kills me to see their home games with such sparse attendance but it happens all the time. I only had one chance to see them and I drove about 400 miles to do it.

You guys are taking them for granted.

I don't want to hear all the excuses- "Oh, the traffic's too bad", "Oh, there's no parking there" etc, etc, etc.

You guys need to suck it up and do some sacrificing (like the players do).

I'll be like Geno and tell it like it is- "get your butts there and support them the rest of this season! I don't wanna see no empty seats again!".

OK...I'm done. :)

I honestly do not know how to take your post. If you are trying to be funny... I did not find it so... if you are being serious, how about you buy my ticket for me. How about you arrange for me to get there with having to work.... How about you deal with the weather conditions of Connecticut. Or deal with 84.

I am honest to God getting sick and tired of people ranting about how no one attends the games. I have posted here very sporadically lately because I do not want to say something and have everyone jump all over me, but this post just gets to me. People are losing their jobs, the economy is bad, and you want to give people grief about not filling the XL Center? And when you sit in the upper decks of the XL Center... you see the game better on tv.

And while I support the team and think they do amazing jobs... just remember they are sacrificing in exchange for their college tuition.

And no one who is a real fan would ever take them for granted...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The town of Storrs Mansfield is a small rural community and access to it is by B roads for 15 miles from the highways, and by country lanes for the last two or so miles. Getting into and out of town on game days/nights is not fun - on normal nights when I take an airport taxi from Bradley the drivers freak out about how dark and rural a place I am leading them to! The parking is expensive and most of it is a decent walk from the arena. In winter the weather is never predictable - freezing rain on Tuesday night and 50 degrees tonight! If you stay for the whole game and lived 20 miles away, a 7PM game gets you home around 10:30 or 11PM on a week night - not something a lot of parents are going to do with or without their children. And the arena which was a big deal when it was built is very dated and uncomfortable now for at least 50% of the seats. I am not sure what marketing plan can overcome those obstacles. They have done a nice job of increasing the student attendance in recent years by adding in some pretty cool door prizes at the end of each game, but as far as the traveling fanbase ... probably not changing much unless they start dropping prices significantly.
Hartford logistically is much easier to deal with - better and quicker access and egress, lots of close parking options, and while the arena isn't any great shakes it holds up a bit better than Gampel. But it is off campus and so student attendance isn't as good. And while Uconn is the state school and the state following is strong, Hartford isn't the college town so the synergy isn't as good as it would be if Uconn was actually part of the city. And prices are still high for tickets and parking.

As far as the fan demographic - in person attendance for sports in general but especially for WCBB isn't that great for young single professionals, or for young couples with kids, and especially not for week nights. Financial considerations really do play a large part in entertainment decisions and a lot of people under thirty-five don't have that much disposable income to blow on something they can watch for free on television. So middle aged fans and older are going to remain a majority of the fanbase no matter what marketing gets done - unless of course Uconn does some sort of discounting on tickets. I am sure they have someone crunching numbers and figuring that 10K attendance at current prices brings in more revenue than whatever added attendance they would get with a 25% or 50% discount on tickets. And they are content with the 10K which is better than 345 other WCBB teams get.

Reaction Score
The town of Storrs Mansfield is a small rural community and access to it is by B roads for 15 miles from the highways, and by country lanes for the last two or so miles. Getting into and out of town on game days/nights is not fun - on normal nights when I take an airport taxi from Bradley the drivers freak out about how dark and rural a place I am leading them to! The parking is expensive and most of it is a decent walk from the arena. In winter the weather is never predictable - freezing rain on Tuesday night and 50 degrees tonight! If you stay for the whole game and lived 20 miles away, a 7PM game gets you home around 10:30 or 11PM on a week night - not something a lot of parents are going to do with or without their children. And the arena which was a big deal when it was built is very dated and uncomfortable now for at least 50% of the seats. I am not sure what marketing plan can overcome those obstacles. They have done a nice job of increasing the student attendance in recent years by adding in some pretty cool door prizes at the end of each game, but as far as the traveling fanbase ... probably not changing much unless they start dropping prices significantly.
Hartford logistically is much easier to deal with - better and quicker access and egress, lots of close parking options, and while the arena isn't any great shakes it holds up a bit better than Gampel. But it is off campus and so student attendance isn't as good. And while Uconn is the state school and the state following is strong, Hartford isn't the college town so the synergy isn't as good as it would be if Uconn was actually part of the city. And prices are still high for tickets and parking.

As far as the fan demographic - in person attendance for sports in general but especially for WCBB isn't that great for young single professionals, or for young couples with kids, and especially not for week nights. Financial considerations really do play a large part in entertainment decisions and a lot of people under thirty-five don't have that much disposable income to blow on something they can watch for free on television. So middle aged fans and older are going to remain a majority of the fanbase no matter what marketing gets done - unless of course Uconn does some sort of discounting on tickets. I am sure they have someone crunching numbers and figuring that 10K attendance at current prices brings in more revenue than whatever added attendance they would get with a 25% or 50% discount on tickets. And they are content with the 10K which is better than 345 other WCBB teams get.
A very well thought out, logical response considering the complete lack thereof put into the original post.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with you but I guess I don't understand some things and have some opinions on some others. I DID go to the game Tuesday. I've been following this team for something like 29 years and it was the first time I actually went to one. Perhaps shame on me, but it is a fact that traveling in the winter at night and fighting traffic is not a pleasant experience. I went to see that game because It wasn't available on my TV and I really, really wanted to see it.
But here's the thing. When I went online (first time ever) to get a ticket I found very little choice and even less that I was willing to afford. In the lower sections the prices started at 140$ and went to over 300$. But even in the upper sections there was very little choice. I sat in Section 214, row P, and I was offered seats 6 through 10 in that row. Period. I chose that section because it's the closest that was offered to the center of the arena.
Even up there I had as much trouble telling Gabby from Kia from Saniya from Pheesa that I do on TV. (Girls, how about different 'do's, dye jobs; something!). I love the way they really do seem to be interchangeable parts but that's taking it a little too far!
But I digress.
Another post says the attendance was 10,109, and I finally found online the basketball capacity is 15 thousand something. The seats were not all full, but it looked to me like it was more than 2/3 full. There were empty seats above me and at the top of all the sections. They weren't available online if I'd wanted them. Most sections showed no seats available at any price. Yet all over the arena, even in the upper sections, there were quite a few seats unoccupied, including in the sections that were not available online at all. Could they all really be season tickets that were unused, that night of all nights? There were four seats in the row in front of me that were never occupied. Frankly, I considered not going because the choice was so poor.
And I have to say that while I loved the game and am thrilled that I was there, there were a lot of negatives to the XL Center. The seating seems unreasonably narrow for one thing. there was a larger gentleman sitting next to me and even with the seats divided with armrests I felt like I was jammed into a corner.
The thing that was worst for me was the sound level though. The speakers for the arena are over the scoreboard and were almost directly in front of me, so perhaps it's not quite as loud in the lower sections and at the very top. But it was painfully loud to me and my hearing is no longer that great. If I ever go again ear plugs will be mandatory. There is simply no need for that much volume. It makes voices hard to understand simply because it is so overly loud.
I don't know what's general practice because I've never been there before (since the roof collapsed) but I do know they advertised posters for that game. The woman on the other side of me was crazy to get one. (Turned out they were the "90" signs). But only the lower sections got them and perhaps not even all of them.
So the game was great, the girls were GREAT, but the overall experience was not so great. And at home the food and drink is free and easily accessible along with the bathroom.

I could have written most of this> The view from the heights --does not make one feel like--"they are seeing Gabby".
TV is by far more view able. My hearing is about 95 percent gone--all frequencies--but large volume speakers are painful--in every way--I do suggest ear plugs to retain your remaining hearing.
The only real advantage is: Enjoying the game with like minded Uconn Fans--heck all fans--while I'm cheering on UConn WBB--it's the atmosphere you don't get with TV. Sitting in an easy chair--with a cheap can of coke--watching a 15 year old 55 inch plazma--my 3 year old 60 inc Smart TV was so smart it died dead. has it's own advantages. And i can make a complete ass of myself screaming at Geno or the Refs--and only my wife will complain--by rolling her eyes toward the heavens.

Reaction Score
They are currently having a very similar discussion on McGraw's bench. Seem's to be an issue for several programs.

Reaction Score
What a fine fan you are.
I'm sorry..was that sarcastic? I do support the team, and I am a donor as well. Is there more I should be doing? I go to every day game I can, I just can't drive there at night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom