One Name I'd Take More Seriously | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One Name I'd Take More Seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm embracing whoever DB selects. Schiano isnt out of the question. He has connections to Belichick and lots of Rutgers players made the Pats roster. That's never a bad thing.
I personally would like one of the young MAC guys--Fleck or the Toledo coach. But our job is easy. Support the hire, buy tickets, get in your seats, enthusiastically support the program.
This is an exciting time. Just like election night my advice is don't listen to the pundits.

Reaction Score
We don't need the second coming of Jimmy Johnson. We need a guy who can win 7-9 games a year or more. Schiano can manage that, but there are better options I think.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
We don't need the second coming of Jimmy Johnson. We need a guy who can win 7-9 games a year or more. Schiano can manage that, but there are better options I think.

Schiano had a top team for a moment.

Reaction Score
Belichick has spoken highly of Schiano and has drafted a number of Rutgers kids, I don't know if its connections but BB likes him

Not really much of a connection.

Reaction Score
I hated Rutgers more than most anybody else.

But you have to admire Schiano's management & building of a Program in multiple ways. He was better than Edsall in important promotional issues - and we need that now. And he is a extraordinary HC recruiter with a plan.

If Schiano had passion to really do great things ... he's obviously a great quality for a northeast coach. Offense? Well. We all want the points.

Reaction Score
DB mentioned the new coach should also stick around a while which may suggest someone who has already been a head coach and is looking to get back in. I would love to get Fleck or JM but they would be short timers with any success.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I hated the cheap shot crap his teams did at Rutgers and with Tampa. What they pulled at the Rent and what the Bucs pulled against the Giants was so bad I struggle with being able to accept him over that.

If you don't remember - think Victory Formation.

Reaction Score
What I hated most about Schiano was all the fake rutgers injuries leading up to the end of that first home game after Jazz was killed. We were trying to kill the clock and they kept getting the clocked stopped because some shenanniganisms. It drove me crazy, everyone in the place knew what they were doing too.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
He would be all ours but we don't have the helicopter to go with the landing strip.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Would Rex Ryan ever consider a college head coaching job? I'm pretty sure he won't get another NFL head coaching job once the Bills fire him.

Reaction Score
Shady had one good win in his life. Against Louisville on national TV. He benefited by playing in the Big East and having 7 league games and 5 OOC games. He beat up on Norfolk State & Army etc, go 2-5 in the league and have Snookie going bowling. His Big East record was 28-48. In one of the most fertile recruiting states in the nation.

Edsall took an average 1-AA team, with no recruiting base and won a Big East title.
I believe we're 6-6 against them since we moved to D1.

Rutgers just promoted their brand better.

Reaction Score
Belichick has spoken highly of Schiano and has drafted a number of Rutgers kids, I don't know if its connections but BB likes him
Not really much of a connection.
Just a SWAG, but Belichick being the father of a former Rutgals' walk-on football player and current Patriots' assistant may be a bit of a connection.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He has serious game management issues.

It would be a joyous occasion to get back in a position in games where late-game management is a relevant issue.

One thing's for sure- the "get fat guys" mantra would go out the window overnight. The team would get a LOT faster, but it would take time. Its like going 3-4 to 4-3 or vice versa.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Would Rex Ryan ever consider a college head coaching job? I'm pretty sure he won't get another NFL head coaching job once the Bills fire him.
Rex is now available.......I think he's done as an NFL head coach but certainly could get an NFL DC job or work in TV. If he wants to coach college, I'd give him a call. He'd be s good draw for recruits and has lived in the tri-state area for a long time so if he doesn't want to move, it's worth a phone call.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I would sign on for Greg Schiano in a minute... I think his redemption tour with Ohio State has been good for him. We'd see the best recruiter we've ever had come here. The guy (although I also hated his guts when he was at Rutgers) understands both CFB in the Northeast, and recruiting here. He could easily sell UConn and help us to compete with our P5 "competition" geographically in BC, Rutgers, Cuse, Penn State, and Pitt.

He would NEED to bring in a up and coming OC who would agree to come here for a few years before moving on. Imagine him with a guy like Kirk Cirocca from Western Michigan, or a Jerry Kill (Minnesota) before he was denied by FHCBD and scooped up by the hated State University of New Jersey?? PLUS, the players always have loved Schiano... I wouldn't doubt these guys would also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom