Omari spellman to nova | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Omari spellman to nova

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
Don't want to be an ass. But I think a lot of kids like the idea of playing in a conference that values basketball... and Villanova is not necessarily a bad program. I don't know why Connecticut fans here are so irrational at times. TV is important but values are also important. If you show a kid that his team is #1 priority in the school and that he will play in the 2nd best conference in America I don't see why that's a bad sell.

With that said. Connecticut should have no problem recruiting these kinds of players. With four national championships at Storrs, a strong fan base, great exposure, an entire state backing you up, in addition to state of the art facilities any recruiter should be able to bring top notch players to Storrs (despite our conference affiliation) so I think its time we start asking the right questions instead of bashing other conferences and sports networks...

i don't get why UConn should have no problem recruiting a top 50/25 (depending on site) kid from Ohio, who has three players at his position when he arrives?

UConns two guys so far for 2015 are top notch players. We are talking 2016 before finishing up 2015. Wait to see how the summer goes with 2016 recruiting first. This was an early commit from a kid who didn't ever have UConn high on his list and probably UConn didn't have extremely high on their list.

Reaction Score
I'm a Nova guy..Jay Wright has gotten away from habit he HAD noticed ->chasing after the blue chip kids without regard for the "fit". After a highly regarded recruiting class proved to be a very bad fit, He admitted needing to value FIT more in evaluating talent. Essentially- There are probably five or six HS kids that are ready for the NBA right away. There are a bunch of other kids who have been convinced they are. You dont want a lot of those guys. Make sure you get talented kids that want to be a part of the university. Basketball priority at the school has been HUGE.

The program was partly built on family pasta dinners at Rollie's house. That family atmosphere is there and . Some recruits (and their parents) are really attracted to that vibe. There is a Small undergrad population where the students, players included, recognize most of the other kids on campus. Moms do like the mandatory freshman classroom attendance rules for all students and a great graduation rate.. Wright and his assistants are doing well finding talented kids who are into that atmosphere. I was surprised how much he said the uniqueness of the atmosphere helps. Winning over Mom prob helps too.

they don't hand out trophies for the team who accumulates the most 4 and 5 star names. Uconn has won titles with less "stars" accumulated than Kansas Duke and others. Just get the right guys who can really play...if some of them are McD AA guys, fantastic.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm a Nova guy..Jay Wright has gotten away from habit he HAD noticed ->chasing after the blue chip kids without regard for the "fit". After a highly regarded recruiting class proved to be a very bad fit, He admitted needing to value FIT more in evaluating talent. Essentially- There are probably five or six HS kids that are ready for the NBA right away. There are a bunch of other kids who have been convinced they are. You dont want a lot of those guys. Make sure you get talented kids that want to be a part of the university. Basketball priority at the school has been HUGE.

The program was partly built on family pasta dinners at Rollie's house. That family atmosphere is there and . Some recruits (and their parents) are really attracted to that vibe. There is a Small undergrad population where the students, players included, recognize most of the other kids on campus. Moms do like the mandatory freshman classroom attendance rules for all students and a great graduation rate.. Wright and his assistants are doing well finding talented kids who are into that atmosphere. I was surprised how much he said the uniqueness of the atmosphere helps. Winning over Mom prob helps too.

they don't hand out trophies for the team who accumulates the most 4 and 5 star names. Uconn has won titles with less "stars" accumulated than Kansas Duke and others. Just get the right guys who can really play...if some of them are McD AA guys, fantastic.

Hope some here would understand this, but...

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I was more concerned about losing two recruits after winning a title.

Our conference affiliation hurts recruiting much more than national titles help it...the vast majority of recruits are much more focused on the immediate future than they are on past history.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I've never been a Nova fan for totally subjective and irrational reasons, but I agree that all you say is true. Friends' kids who are there now--men and women--all cite the basketball enthusiasm as a huge factor in their enjoyment of the college experience. A few very close high school friends of mine went there (in the 80s) and their experience was very much the same.

Reaction Score
Our conference affiliation hurts recruiting much more than national titles help it...the vast majority of recruits are much more focused on the immediate future than they are on past history.
There's no question it does.

But that doesn't explain UConn consistently losing out to schools like VCU and UNLV the past few months.

Reaction Score
UConn990411 said:
There's no question it does. But that doesn't explain UConn consistently losing out to schools like VCU and UNLV the past few months.

There's no catch all reason why everyone goes somewhere else. I still think what hurt us going after the wings who went elsewhere was that Hamilton was already here as a freshman and was better than the guys we were recruiting. Turns out we are going small with him at the 4 a lot, which maybe would help if we had another shot at it, but that didn't seem likely back then.

My biggest beef with the Jones/Clarke/Mack/Ali effort is that we prioritized what wasn't our biggest need. Purvis is frankly much better suited to be a three in college than a two, since he is a below average ball handler and passer, but has good size and can make straight line drives to the basket. He has a slashing wing's game - not a guard's. Cassell probably is more suited at the three as well, due to his lack of foot speed. And obviously we have Hamilton (and Omar). We had plenty of options there, but we have one guard who can take the ball and be a threat to shoot, drive or pass, and he's graduating, with a freshman filling that role coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom