Omari spellman to nova | The Boneyard

Omari spellman to nova

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Another recruiting loss... Does not feel like we have an ounce of momentum on the trail. I really don't think it is Ollie or our record but rather this awful conference that is killing us.

Reaction Score
2016 recruit, we're going to complain about that?

Reaction Score
2016 recruit, we're going to complain about that?

Was at UConn's First Night. Also thought to be an Ohio State lean. How in the world he ends up at Nova? Complete mystery.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This isn't good per se, but if you've been following our recruiting no way is this the straw that breaks the camel's back. I can deal with losing kids to a program like Villanova, as opposed to some other schools that have beaten us out.

caw

Reaction Score
I don't think he was ever considered a UConn lean.

Reaction Score
This isn't good per se, but if you've been following our recruiting no way is this the straw that breaks the camel's back. I can deal with losing kids to a program like Villanova, as opposed to some other schools that have beaten us out.

I agree, losing a kid to an SEC school other than Kentucky or Florida is a damn shame.

Reaction Score
Another recruiting loss... Does not feel like we have an ounce of momentum on the trail. I really don't think it is Ollie or our record but rather this awful conference that is killing us.
I disagree with you. What is the attraction of the new BE? Play your games on FS1 with no one watching? There is clearly a lack of ability by the UConn staff to entice recruits to UConn. It should not matter what conference they are in. UConn gets plenty of TV exposure. Plenty of opportunity to be seen by NBA scouts. We hate the AAC but it is NOT the reason UConn is not getting recruits.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
There is clearly a lack of ability by the UConn staff to entice recruits to UConn.
Except for Hamilton, Adams, Enoch, etc. Two borderline five-stars & a four-star that we beat the likes of Kansas, UCLA and Louisville for. Okay doke.

As for Spellman, he's a PF. We've had a PF in each of our last 3 classes.

I'll be shocked if we actively target PF or PG for 2016. Maybe we end up with Tyrique Jones - from what he's said, he's willing to wait until the last minute for us to really decide - but I think we're clearly prioritizing wings (Kegler, King, Battle) and centers (Herard, Stanback, Miller, maybe a reclassifying Japhet-Mathias) for next year.

YMMV on whether that's the right move from the staff.

Reaction Score
Except for Hamilton, Adams, Enoch, etc. Two borderline five-stars & a four-star that we beat the likes of Kansas, UCLA and Louisville for. Okay doke.

As for Spellman, he's a PF. We've had a PF in each of our last 3 classes.

I'll be shocked if we actively target PF or PG for 2016. Maybe we end up with Tyrique Jones - from what he's said, he's willing to wait until the last minute for us to really decide - but I think we're clearly prioritizing wings (Kegler, King, Battle) and centers (Herard, Stanback, Miller, maybe a reclassifying Japhet-Mathias) for next year.

YMMV on whether that's the right move from the staff.
Enoch was never not going coming here. Adams was always a UConn lean, obviously took some work. Hamilton was an impressive get although it does help he went to Ollie's High School at one point. After a 4th national title and new facility we shouldn't have decommits and losing recruits to the VCU's of the world. Stone was in our grasp and we lost him now we're looking at almost zero offense in the front court next season. To deny there is something wrong with our recruiting is silly especially for a program that used to bring in top 10 classes.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Enoch was never not going coming here. Adams was always a UConn lean, obviously took some work. Hamilton was an impressive get although it does help he went to Ollie's High School at one point. After a 4th national title and new facility we shouldn't have decommits and losing recruits to the VCU's of the world. Stone was in our grasp and we lost him now we're looking at almost zero offense in the front court next season. To deny there is something wrong with our recruiting is silly especially for a program that used to bring in top 10 classes.
We're ranked 20 this year. Is that really a huge departure from the norm?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Thinking that the title automatically brings in recruits is a flawed line of thinking. Let's look at how Louisville fared pre and post-title:

• 2012, pre-title: Kevin Ware (4-star), Montrezl Harrell (4), Zach Price (4)
  • 2013, post-title: Terry Rozier (4), Anton Gill (4), Akoy Agau (4), Mangok Mathiang (2)
And before them, Kentucky:
  • 2011: Teague (5), Kidd-Gilchrist (5), Davis (5), Wiltjer (5)
  • 2012: Goodwin (5), Poythress (5), Noel (5), Cauley-Stein (4)
Minimal difference.

And you can't say "We shouldn't be losing kids to the VCUs of the world". Are we a better program than they are? Yes. But you can't apply a blanket statement like that because every kid's recruitment is different. We got in much later with the VCU kids, and Mack himself said that one of the key factors in his decision was VCU's presence throughout the entire process. Recruiting isn't simply checking a box next to who fans perceive as the better program.

Furthermore, Calhoun brought in top 10 classes and was one of the master recruiters of his generation. Ollie simply does not have the reps yet (yes, like anything else, recruiting players takes repetition and experience to master) to have that skill level.

Reaction Score
Thinking that the title automatically brings in recruits is a flawed line of thinking. Let's look at how Louisville fared pre and post-title:

• 2012, pre-title: Kevin Ware (4-star), Montrezl Harrell (4), Zach Price (4)
  • 2013, post-title: Terry Rozier (4), Anton Gill (4), Akoy Agau (4), Mangok Mathiang (2)
And before them, Kentucky:
  • 2011: Teague (5), Kidd-Gilchrist (5), Davis (5), Wiltjer (5)
  • 2012: Goodwin (5), Poythress (5), Noel (5), Cauley-Stein (4)
Minimal difference.

And you can't say "We shouldn't be losing kids to the VCUs of the world". Are we a better program than they are? Yes. But you can't apply a blanket statement like that because every kid's recruitment is different. We got in much later with the VCU kids, and Mack himself said that one of the key factors in his decision was VCU's presence throughout the entire process. Recruiting isn't simply checking a box next to who fans perceive as the better program.

Furthermore, Calhoun brought in top 10 classes and was one of the master recruiters of his generation. Ollie simply does not have the reps yet (yes, like anything else, recruiting players takes repetition and experience to master) to have that skill level.
I was more concerned about losing two recruits after winning a title.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Enoch was never not going coming here. Adams was always a UConn lean, obviously took some work.
Both took work. Local kids aren't, by any stretch, destined to come here. Just look at Noel, Vonleh, Dunn, Abu, Chukwu, etc.

Hamilton was an impressive get although it does help he went to Ollie's High School at one point.
So if the coach has connections and uses them, it doesn't really count as good recruiting to you. Got it.

We're ranked 20 this year. Is that really a huge departure from the norm?
FWIW, if we get Carter 247 puts us in the top 15. Adding a reclassified Brown would, I assume, put us into the top 10.

Reaction Score
Both took work. Local kids aren't, by any stretch, destined to come here. Just look at Noel, Vonleh, Dunn, Abu, Chukwu, etc.
Well Enoch has literally said he was always coming to UConn if they offered. There's a thread with the article go read it.

So if the coach has connections and uses them, it doesn't really count as good recruiting to you. Got it.

Did I say that? Noooooooooope

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

I'm calling shenanigans.

Our place in ESPN's class rankings in recent years:
  • 2015: 20th
  • 2014: NR
  • 2013: NR
  • 2012: NR
  • 2011: NR
  • 2010: 20th
  • 2009: 8th
  • 2008: NR
  • 2007: NR
Rivals:
  • 2015: 15th
  • 2011: 17th
Scout:
  • 2015: 16th
  • 2010: 18th
  • 2009: 13th
  • 2008: 7th
  • 2006: 5th
  • 2005: 25th
Under Calhoun, we had years that were better. We also had years that were worse. Only two classes here seen as being in the top 10 by any of these services.

Ollie will need more time to be a Calhoun-level recruiter. But I don't know how this class isn't a step in the right direction.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm calling shenanigans.

Our place in ESPN's class rankings in recent years:
  • 2015: 20th
  • 2010: 20th
  • 2009: 8th
  • 2008: NR
Rivals:
  • 2015: 15th
  • 2011: 17th
Scout:
  • 2015: 16th
  • 2010: 18th
  • 2009: 13th
  • 2008: 7th
  • 2006: 5th
  • 2005: 25th
Under Calhoun, we had years that were better. We also had years that were worse. Only two classes here seen as being in the top 10 by any of these services.

Ollie will need more time to be a Calhoun-level recruiter. But I don't know how this class isn't a step in the right direction.

Seems he was right, 20 is a huge departure from the norm of NR.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Well Enoch has literally said he was always coming to UConn if they offered. There's a thread with the article go read it.
No, the writer said that.

Did I say that? Noooooooooope
You certainly implied it. Otherwise why caveat the fact that he landed and held onto Hamilton?

Why not caveat everybody's recruiting class if that's how you feel about ours? Your whole train of thought makes little sense.

Reaction Score
No, the writer said that.
Sure he grabbed it out of thin air

You certainly implied it. Otherwise why caveat the fact that he landed and held onto Hamilton?
I also said it was a good get, so that should satisfy your narrative.

Why not caveat everybody's recruiting class if that's how you feel about ours? Your whole train of thought makes little sense.
We're going into next season with gaping holes in our roster, doesn't help two ball handlers decommited while we were trying to reel in bigger fish. We didn't do that and perhaps just maybe that is why some of us question our recruiting. Can you fault us for being concerned?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Prospects decommit and flip from schools other than UCONN for whatever reason. No reason to be butthurt about it.

Also, for what it's worth Will Jackson has been taken down to 3 stars on both Rivals and ESPN, so I don't think that's a huge loss. Rumor has it that he had a poor summer season in AAU/had injury concerns too.

We are in much better position for Carter and Brown than we were for any of the SF recruits. I'm not buying that we had traction with Stone considering the lack of concrete news we had. If you want to have a hissy fit because we don't have Kentucky-esque classes chock-filled with burger boys, that's your prerogative. I'll save the witch hunts for when our recruiting isn't trending up after several down years.

Reaction Score

We're going into next season with gaping holes in our roster, doesn't help two ball handlers decommited while we were trying to reel in bigger fish. We didn't do that and perhaps just maybe that is why some of us question our recruiting. Can you fault us for being concerned?

Yeah, I'm sure the staff is losing sleep over Turtle Jackson decommitting.

caw

Reaction Score

Jackson is not nearly the ball handler Adams is. He is why Jackson decommitted, I wouldn't complain about that.

From the little I've seen of him, Ali isn't a ball handler. He's a very good finisher but no Boat/Napier as a dribbler. Maybe better than Purvis maybe not (hard to tell from two AAU games).

Reaction Score
I disagree with you. What is the attraction of the new BE? Play your games on FS1 with no one watching? There is clearly a lack of ability by the UConn staff to entice recruits to UConn. It should not matter what conference they are in. UConn gets plenty of TV exposure. Plenty of opportunity to be seen by NBA scouts. We hate the AAC but it is NOT the reason UConn is not getting recruits.

Don't want to be an ass. But I think a lot of kids like the idea of playing in a conference that values basketball... and Villanova is not necessarily a bad program. I don't know why Connecticut fans here are so irrational at times. TV is important but values are also important. If you show a kid that his team is #1 priority in the school and that he will play in the 2nd best conference in America I don't see why that's a bad sell.

With that said. Connecticut should have no problem recruiting these kinds of players. With four national championships at Storrs, a strong fan base, great exposure, an entire state backing you up, in addition to state of the art facilities any recruiter should be able to bring top notch players to Storrs (despite our conference affiliation) so I think its time we start asking the right questions instead of bashing other conferences and sports networks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom